What's new

What speakers to set up a bedroom home theatre? (1 Viewer)

WaltS

Agent
Real Name
Walter Short
I am setting up a home theater centered around my queen sized waterbed in a room 16 x 12 with the bed sitting in an alcove 11 x 5 with the length wise part of the bed taking up 8 of the 11 feet. The TV is a Toshiba 57HX81 and I will be viewing it at a slight up angle 6 feet from the bottom of the screen. The ceiling is 5 feet above me and I can place surrounds 6" behind the bed.

The sweet spot at the head of the bed is the only place in the room that needs proper sound and music is very much a secondary concern over DVD play. I am toying with the idea of bookshelf speakers hanging from the ceiling for both mains and surrounds with an SVS subwoofer to provide all the bass.

I plan to decide what AV receiver to purchase after I settle on speakers. Any ideas there would be appreciated as well. Budget for each speaker is around the $300 range and $1000 or so for the receiver. So far the SVS 20-39 sub looks to be the leading candidate.

JesseR

Stunt Coordinator
go with jbl nsp1 speakers...i think they are like 250 or something....everyone in here seems to think very highly of them in that range

Pete Jennings

Second Unit
I would audition a set of B&W LM1's . They have built-in bases/mounts, and can be purchased in a variety of colors. I have seen setups where people mounted them upside-down on the ceiling, and aimed the tweeters directly at the sweet spot. The wires can be run through the base for a clean looking install.
Good luck!
Pete

WaltS

Agent
Real Name
Walter Short
On further thought I have modified my bedroom by moving the waterbed to the middle of the room giving me 8' to 9' of distance to the screen as well as floor space to sit 2 column mains. I will still need surrounds mounted near the ceiling.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks