What's new

What speakers to purchase with Yamaha RX-V2600 for home theatre (1 Viewer)

eddie_d

Auditioning
A month or so ago I started researching for a complete home theatre system including display, receiver and speakers. I think I basically narrowed down my display to Panasonic TH-42PHD8UK, and my receiver to Yamaha RX-V2600. The only component I could not close on yet are the speakers.

The only requirement my wife has put on them is to have them be small and black. As for budget, I was thinking I did not want to spend more than $500-$700US unless I really really have to. So I started looking at a number of home theatre speaker packages including Paradigm's Cinema 90 HT, Bose Acoustimass 10 III, and HSU Research.

Our use will mostly be movies, and some music. Our family room is 13feet x 18feet with 3 couches two sideways, and one facing the display against the wall I guess about 14feet away from the screen.

My questions are:
Is the home theatre packages I am considering a good match with the receiver? Open to other recommendations in my price range?

Give the furniture in the room where couches are against the three walls, I am not sure if it makes sense to setup anything more than 5.1 because I wonder if having speakers just above the facing couch makes sense. I would appreciate thoughts on whether I should purchase for 5.1, 6.1, or 7.1.

I appreciate any advice since this would be the first time I would have purchased a receiver and speakers. Thanks!

SethH

Senior HTF Member
If you drop the Bose setup from that list, then you'll have a very good list. Another option would be the Athena Micra-6 or Point-5 setup with a nicer subwoofer (Hsu or SVS)

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks