What speakers to match my Marantz 4200 and SVS

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by CaseyLS, Jan 15, 2003.

1. CaseyLS

CaseyLS Second Unit

I am wanting to spend about $800 for five speakers. The room I am in now is your standard dorm room which is 15x15 I believe and about an 8'5". The Speakers I am leading toward are Paradigm Phantoms, Titans, and CC170 or 270. The 270 would put my just above budget but I will try to deal down. I am leading towards these because I have heard Para's and Marantz make a good match and there aren't many dealers in Manhattan. About the only other speakers available here in Manhattan are DefTechs, Klipsch and MTX(?)

Any suggestions would be nice.
    Casey

Oh I have the PCi 25-31

2. CaseyLS

CaseyLS Second Unit

No suggestions? OK

3. Jonathan T

Jonathan T Second Unit

Ummmm, 800 for 5 speakers?? I think it would be better if you spend that 800 on 2 speakers.

4. CaseyLS

CaseyLS Second Unit

I am a poor college students.

5. Nick L

Nick L Second Unit

Do you need floorstanders or will bookshelf speakers due?

You could probably get 4 mini monitors and cc370 for around that price. Which would be much better than the phantoms. Another good choice would be NHT superone's and superzero's. You can get them inexpensively online and they sound incredible! Its up to your ears.

Nick

6. Wendell

Wendell Stunt Coordinator

I got a Marantz 4200 running my Axiom set up (m40, vp150, qs4) and for a sub I built an Adire Alignment 214L Tempest. The set sounds great and even better now that I've upgraded the crossovers on my fronts (sonicaps & mills).

I got my Axiom speakers all for around $800. Marc at the Audioshop in Canada gave me a real good deal, I got the m40 for about $250 (close-out). Give him a holler, he's a great guy to deal and will steer you in the right direction. I know he has some great prices on the Dahlquist speakers, which have gotten some rave reviews and some have favored over the Axioms.

7. Terry Flink

Terry Flink Stunt Coordinator

nOrh 4.0 video system in ceramic is amazing at $850.00 for 5 speakers shipped. I have an Outlaw amp, Marantz DD processor and an SVS 20-39 with the nOrh 4.0's and it sounds fantastic. Check out norh.com

8. CaseyLS

CaseyLS Second Unit

Thanks for your replies guys. And thanks for the emails also.

9. Bry_DD

Bry_DD Second Unit

I'll second the Axiom suggestion. You won't be dissappointed. I have the M60ti with VP150 and i'm very happy with them.

10. Mike_Gr

Mike_Gr Stunt Coordinator

I echo the others in saying that Axioms would be an excellent choice. I recently received a quote from Marc at audioshop for the following:

M60ti towers
    VP150 center
    QS8 surrounds

The quote was $1440 USD (about a week ago...keep in mind the exchange rate will flux a little). That quote included forgoeing the 30 day trial period....which cuts the costs down.

I bet you could come close to an $800 system with Axiom. I suggest you visit the axiom site,chose the speakers you would like, and then e-mail Marc at audioshop requesting a quote in USD for your desired package. Also, Axiom does sell reduced cost speakers from thier factory outlet that are slightly blemished. You can read more about this at Axioms site or on their message board. Marc may even be able to quote you a package that contains, for example, a pair of factory outlet towers. Often, the blemishes are very minor and go unnoticed. (read the message board and search for posts by people who have purchased factory outlet speakers)

Some people have problems buying a blemished speaker, but I bet they are not on a college budget. In my opinion, nobody would even know your speakers are blemished unless you told them. What they will notice is how great your speakers sound...and look.

Sorry my reply is lengthy. Its just that not long ago I too was on a college budget so I understand where you are coming from. If only I had known about Axiom back then.