What speakers should I get? I have a list

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Bruce Chang, Jul 8, 2002.

1. Bruce Chang

Bruce Chang Second Unit

My room is 15ft Wx 13.5ft long x 7.5ft height. My equipment is the Jolida 302a 50wpc tube integrated amp and the AH! 4000 cd player. What speakers should I get out these choices

Dynaudio 1.3se not a big fan spending 2gs for bookshelfs, but they sound good

Dynaudio 1.8 floormodel and a great sounding speaker. Some say the 1.3se is better. Don't know about that

NHT 3.3 and the 1.5 I can get the whole set for $2gs, but the 3.3s are huge. I need something smaller but the price is too good to pass up.

Totem Forest Very compact and sounded great. I felt that they have a similar sound to the dynaudio's and they're a little cheaper used.

Sonus Faber grand pianos: These speakers look great and performace is top notch. I'm not a big fan of 7inch mids but they sound very warm. I think these speakers are a little more effiecent then the others I mentioned. Cheap used.

2. Bruce Chang

Bruce Chang Second Unit

btt

3. Greg_R

Greg_R Screenwriter

Greg
    You have your list... go out and audition! Speakers (esp. in this price range) are very subjective so we can't decide for you.

With your tube amp you'll probably want efficient speakers. Before purchasing the NHTs I'd listen to them with your amp (make sure it has enough power).

4. rodneyH

rodneyH Supporting Actor

I have heard great things about the Totems, they use Dyn drivers, but supposedly the guy who does Totems is a genius and the speakers absolutly rock.

5. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

Now one thing for sure, there's a ton of good speakers out there. Bruce, from what i've read it seems like you still need to better define the internal priorities you'll be using to judge the speakers. For example, in the case of the NHT's on the one hand you suggest that they're probably too large for your room, but on the other hand you say that you can get them for a good price. I'd work on putting together a list of things that are important to you and trying to rank them. For example, you state you're considering used. That typically does imply no warranty. Maybe some scratches or torn cloth. On the other hand, it allows you to select from lines you couldn't consider before. If not used, demos with warranty are available but may well have some cosmetic issues. Maybe the finish of the speakers are a priority and say you want speakers that have cherry or rosewood veneers. Efficiency and the levels of sound you enjoy. You should step back a bit and spend a bit of time developing this list, ranking it, and maybe assigning a 1-5 rating scale. Now before everyone jumps on me and says, whoaaaaaaaaaa...he should buy the speaker that sounds best let me simply state the speaker also needs to reflect his aesthetic tastes, room constraints and all that. I'm sure Bruce can kill those birds and still get great sounding speakers.

6. Bruce Chang

Bruce Chang Second Unit

Those are all great speakers. it's hard to choose. BTW I can get the 3.3s and 1.5s for $1800. Sounds a hell of a deal for those speakers. Only downfall is that they're way too big. I have the PSB goldi's and I think they're too big.

7. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

If you mean big in the sense that they're dominating the room, and furthermore, this situation of room size is not likely to change in the near future, then it would seem you've identified an important personal preference to thin the playing field. So go with it and see about arranging for an at-home evaluation.