What speaker type for the rear?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by James Gillespie, Feb 19, 2003.

1. James Gillespie

My living room is 12'x18'. The rear wall is only 6' wide, the other 6' is an opening, floor to ceiling, into the kitchen. On the front wall is a 50" TV and a 9' wide entertainment center around it. The sectional sofa (looks like a big L) is against the back 6' wall and extends partially into the opening. I can't move the couch forward or I'd be too close to the TV for my viewing comfort. What type of speakers would be best for the rear and rear center in a 6.1 setup? The receiver is a Yamaha RV-X1300. I'd thought about bookshelves hung from the walls or ceiling pointed towards the listening area (HTD Level III's) or quadpolar speakers mounted on the side walls slightly forward of the seating area and the rear center mounted right at the edge of the opening (Axiom QS4's). Which would be better for my setup, or is there a different type (monopolar, quadpolar, etc) that I should also consider?

I have a quick sketch of the room, but I can't figure out how to attach it to this post. It isn't on a web server.

Thanks for your time and input!
    James

2. James Gillespie

I should also add that my front speakers are currently 10+ year old Pioneer speakers that will be upgraded once I decide on what the surrounds should be. I want all of the speakers to be from the same company for timber matching.

Thanks,
    James