1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

What speaker to go with my pioneer receiver?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Tan_U, Sep 18, 2001.

1. Tan_U

Tan_U Stunt Coordinator

Hi everybody,
    I'm pretty new to this home theater stuff. I've been doing some research because I'm about to move into my own apartment. I'm planning to spend around $500 on this, I know it isn't much.
    OK I think I'm pretty much set on this receiver, its a Pioneer Elite VSX-21 for $200. Now that gives me $300 to spend on speakers. Right now I'm leaning towards the JBL SCS135 package, Etronics.com has it for $260.
    So what do you guys think of those two, will they sound good together, should I get some different speakers. Thanks ahead.

2. Tan_U

Tan_U Stunt Coordinator

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

3. Bob_A

Bob_A Supporting Actor

Welcome to the forum!
    For your budget, that should be fine. The Energy Take 5 is supposed to be a great set for the money, but it may be a bit out of your price range. You might want to consider looking at some used speaker sets.
    Good luck!

4. Tan_U

Tan_U Stunt Coordinator

How much does the lower end Energy take 5 go for.
    If there around $400 or maybe even $500 than I might consider buying maybe just the fronts for now than a sub, than center and rears later. And is it OK to mix brands when buying speakers?