What's new

What speaker/receiver system would you get for $2000? (1 Viewer)

Ryan Leemhuis

Second Unit
Axiom M22ti = 440 * 2 = $880
Axiom VP150 = $385
1 HSU STF-2 = $400

Should be enough to pick out a decent receiver to go along with it. Then again, you don't need to go Axiom. I am sure others will submit other possibilities so I will leave it to them.

EDITED: My Math was WAYYYYY off. lol

Torgny Nilsson

Second Unit
You don't give us much information to go on. For example, are you trying to get a whole 5.1 system with your $2,000, or are you willing to start with a 2.1 system and to then add to it later? Are you planning to use the system mostly for movies or music? Is this going to be your primary system or a secondary system? Are you more interested in volume and bass or in finesse and accuracy?

In order to answer your question, I will assume that you want a full 5.1 system, plus a receiver, and that you will use your system for both movies and music. I will also assume that this will be your primary system. I will also assume that you prefer volume to finesse.

First, in my opinion, almost any internet speaker company, such as Axiom, that is regularly discussed on this forum will give you more for your money than speakers sold through regular retailers. You can find 5.1 systems in your price range, from Rocket for example.

Second, I think you would be making a mistake to get a whole 5.1 system, plus a receiver, for your $2,000. I think you would be much happier in the long run, have less of a need to endlessly upgrade your system, and end up with a much better system that you can keep forever, if you get the cheapest decent receiver you can find and put the rest of your money into the best 3 front speakers you can afford. I also think you will grow to regret buying any speaker system that does not produce an accurate sound.

Assuming you are willing to limit your initial purchase to a receiver and 3 front speakers, I would urge you to take a listen to EFE's speakers. But since they only sell by word of mouth, you'd have to email them at [email protected] for a catalog and for information as to whether anyone near you owns them and is willing to invite you over to listen to them. You can find reviews on them by searching on this forum, AVS, and audioreview.com.

I have no affiliation with EFE other than having 7 of their speakers in my home. And as far as I am concerned, as long as I have mine already, I don't care whether anyone else ever buys any of their speakers. But I learned of EFE through forums like this and I feel compelled to return the favor to others who are looking for speakers like I was at one time.

EFE's bookshelf speakers will sound fine without a sub. I'd add a sub later just because (one from SVS, HSU, or Outlaw--though I have not heard Outlaw's sub it has gotten great reviews). And I'd add surround speakers later too as your finances allow. Take a look at EFE's T-20 or T-22 speakers as a great start. Then you could later add another pair of the same speakers as surrounds, or move the first set to surrounds and get a pair of EFE's floorstanders as fronts.

You could also do something similar with speakers from AR-Research, Axiom, Swan, etc. And I have also been very impressed by Cambridge Soundworks' speakers for the money.

Alex Prosak

Supporting Actor
Some good questions above. I do disagree that you can't get a receiver/5.1 speaker system for under $2,000 that you'd be happy with. I just put together a system for my company's conference room and used a Onix ELT 5.1 system with a Denon AVR-1905 and Onkyo UDP. Is it the best system out there? Heck no. But for the money its a damn fine little system that many people I know would be very happy with. You'd even have money left over to get a DVD player or DVD's.

CurtisSC

Screenwriter
Another suggestion:

"In my opinion, the Ascend-Hsu combo is simply the best multi-channel speaker package under $1300." -Felix Martinez, DVD Etc.
Ascends/Hsu combo

$400-$500 receiver
$150(even less now I think)Pioneer 578 universal player

This would get you off to a great start and hard pressed to find upgrades that will not cost you significantly more.

There are a whole lot of possibilities....get out and listen as well.

DanielKellmii

Supporting Actor
Thank you all. To answer a few questions. This will primarily be used for Home Theater. I would like a 5.1 system. Finesse is more important than volume. (Well, I may need some extra volume due to some age related hearing loss:frowning: ) The speakers will stay. I already have a DVD player which will be upgrade once "we" decide on Beta or VHS ;) . The EFE sound like a fine product but beyond the price range. The Sub is obligatory. Having the couch shake is half the fun. Buying a cheap receiver is a good idea. Todays features on a $1000 receiver are standard on tomorrows $300 receiver. In my limited experience, to get a large improvement over the kind of speakers that I am looking at requires a lot more money than I want to spend. Sure, I can tell the difference between somebody who has spend $10,000 vs. $2000. But for me, I can't justify that expense. Maybe someday.

Torgny Nilsson

Second Unit
Like I said, there are any number of other speaker brands that might meet your needs, even if you want to get a full 5.1 system now. For your budget, you could get an inexpensive receiver for $250-$300 and still have money for the following internet speaker systems:

Rocket 550 MKII Ultra HT
Rocket Loudspeakers HT Package # 4, 5, 6, 7, or 8
Extremely Luscious Theater '1D' Pkg Sp. Ed. (ELT-1Dse)

Axiom Epic Midi Home Theater
Axiom Epic Master Home Theater
Axiom Epic Grand Master Home Theater
Axiom Epic 50 Home Theater

Almost any of Ascend Acoustics' systems with an HSU sub or an SVS sub

Some Swan systems

EFE Model B-15 set up plus an SVS or HSU sub

There are undoubtedly other internet brands out there that are good too.

Mark Russ

Second Unit
Pioneer 1014 receiver = $400, SVS PB10ISd sub = about $470 shipped, leaving you about $1100 for a speaker set of your choice.

Eric:F

Stunt Coordinator
inmo your best bet in the long run is to spend the $ for a quality front soundstage and sub. then get some cheap surrounds for the time being and upgrade them later.
for the $ Jim Salk's HTS series are hard to beat.
if those are still too much cash, then try Boston Acoustic. BA is a real "sleeper" for HT. they sound great and the cost is low.
best,
eric

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks