What speaker for me for under $1400 used?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Anny Chien, Sep 15, 2002.

1. Anny Chien

Anny Chien Agent

I just sold my PSB status goldi's and had various Paradigm studio series before. I want something smaller then the PSB stratus goldi's, but they have to be floorstanding. I was looking into Triangle speakers, Silverline audio, NHT M6s, Totem Forest, etc. I have a 50wpc tube amp and may change to a SS musical fidelity amp. What speakers do you guys reccommend for a HT/sound quality speaker. I want something geared more towards sound quality.

2. Sihan Goi

Sihan Goi Second Unit

Hmmn, what's wrong with the PSB Stratus Goldi's? I have a pair now myself...

Anyway, you might be able to get NHT 2.9's for that price if you're lucky? They should be a step up from thr Goldi's. I've heard good things about Triangle, Silverline and Totems too, but don't know enough about them to comment.

3. John A. Casler

John A. Casler Second Unit

4. Sihan Goi

Sihan Goi Second Unit

Yeah, I've heard good things about VMPS speakers as well, especially the RM40, but they don't really shine in the looks department though [​IMG]

5. John A. Casler

John A. Casler Second Unit

Yeah, to some that's true but to others even the Nohr are beautiful.
    Thank goodness the VMPS disappear when you play music through them [​IMG]
    Regards,
    John

6. Scott Oliver

Scott Oliver Screenwriter

What tube amp are you running? And why are you looking to move away from it?

If you stick with the tube amp I would go with the Silverline or Triangle speakers.

However it looks like for $1400 the only speakers that you can really get is the Panatella, which I have not heard much about. Sonata Sonatina and their SR-17 are the ones I hear the most glowing statements about.

Triangles seem to have more available in your range, floorstanding wise.

Another company that you might consider is Meadowlark they have the Kestrel and Swift priced new in your range and used you could possibly find a Meadowlark Shearwater. Meadowlark speakers should fit what you are looking for.

For many of Totem modles I have heard they are similar to Dynaudio in that they require a little more juice to get tthe best out of them, so maybe the move to the SS Musucal Fidelity amp might be more appropriate for them.

7. DonJ

DonJ Second Unit

8. JohnBrianW.

JohnBrianW. Stunt Coordinator

Check out PMC and coincident speakers. I've also heard JMlab are pretty good with tubes.

9. JohnBrianW.

JohnBrianW. Stunt Coordinator