What Soundcard for Music and DVD

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Chris Tsutsui, Mar 20, 2002.

1. Chris Tsutsui

Chris Tsutsui Screenwriter

I am looking to buy a soundcard for my computer.

The sound card should have a digital coaxial out (For dolby 5.1 signals), and the standard analog outs as well. The sound card will be primarily used for DVDs and CD/Mp3 Music. (maybe a little games)

I have been looking closely at the following cards:

Turtle Beach Santa Cruz $61 @ newegg.com

Hercules Game Theater XP $87

Sound Blaster Audigy Platinum $157

I am open to suggestions for other cards as well. At first I will use the sound card's analog front L/R out to send a signal to a 2 channel Parasound Amp. The amp will power 2 JBL S38 bookshelfs. This will be my primary sound until I get a prepro and finish my 5.1 Home theater PC.

The chipset on my mobo is Via and the OS is a duel boot Windows 98SE/Windows XP Pro. I would like the best sound quality for less than $150. Thanks

2. Greg Conti

Greg Conti Stunt Coordinator

If you can swing $179, pick up an MAudio Audiophile. A great card for music playback. Bit perfect. No resampling nonsence. Also has pretty good D/A's if you are going to use the anolog outputs. Much better than any of the cards you have listed. Not a gaming card though. For 5.1 spdif passthru on DVD, any of the cards should work.

3. Ken Woodrow

Ken Woodrow Stunt Coordinator

Greg is right, but for $20 more, I'd buy the M-Audio Delta 410 card. It has 24/96 DACS, 8 analog outs, 2 analog ins, and SP/DIF in and out. Best yet, it now has beta drivers that provide bass management (selectable crossover points for all 7 surround speakers), delay settings (for adjusting for distance to speakers in a surround setup), and individual channel volume control. Frankly, the drivers give more control over these pre/pro features than most high dollar pre/pros on the market. I'm running one of these cards connected directly to my amps and love it. Combined with DTS, DPL2, and DD decoding of DVDs (and DPL2 for CD and wav playback) using PowerDVD 4.0, I get better sound than from my Sony DB-930 receiver.