What's new

What sound bar should I get? (1 Viewer)

John*Wells

Premium
Real Name
John
Last year, I purchased a 50 inch Series 4 TCL 4K UHD Roku Television. What is the best sound Bar to complement that?

Last edited:

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
Last year, I purchased a 50 inch Series 4 TCL 4K UHD Roku Television. What is the best sound Bar to complement that?
My stock answer would be "none." Soundbars are always a compromise but sometimes they are a necessary one. What are you working with, room wise? Is WAF a consideration? Budget? See where I'm going here?

John*Wells

Premium
Real Name
John
My stock answer would be "none." Soundbars are always a compromise but sometimes they are a necessary one. What are you working with, room wise? Is WAF a consideration? Budget? See where I'm going here?
At the moment, the major issue is one of space

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
You will have to decide how many speakers you want. There are setups with just a soundbar, some add a wireless subwoofer, and others also add wireless surround speakers.

I bought a Polk Audio MagniFi 2 for our South Carolina condo, as a full blown HT system wasn't practical. It's a single soundbar with a wireless subwoofer. While it certainly does not sound as good as my 5.1 system in Michigan, it's a lot better than using the TV speakers. The setup is simple - - just the Polk system, Vizio 4K display (with cable TV, but no box) and Roku Ultra 4K streaming device.

In our master bedroom in Michigan, I have a Roku soundbar with a Samsung 4K display, cable box, and Sony Blu-ray player (which doesn't get used much). The Roku supports a wireless subwoofer, but I have not added one for that setup.

Wardog555

Auditioning
Real Name
Fraser
Answer is they are not worth the money. I had one. After I replaced it with av receiver with speakers. There's a major difference when it comes it sound quality, accurate surround sound over the fake bouncing sound waves.
Sure there are some negatives like speaker size and speaker wire but at the end of the day if sound quality and immersive and true surround sound then you must live with it.
And yes I am limited on space aswell as I have a speaker tower on my computer desk and the other one blocking my access to a set of drawers for my clothes.

mjcmt

Grip
Real Name
Mike
So many options but my general preference is a passive sound bar with an AVR vs. one with everything built in. You'll have lot more options, flexibility, and upgrade ability. For me at this time I'm in favor of the expensive Klipsch Heritage Theater Bar w/ the Marantz NR1510 for a wonderful 3.0 system, but it's expensive.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Answer is they are not worth the money. I had one. After I replaced it with av receiver with speakers. There's a major difference when it comes it sound quality, accurate surround sound over the fake bouncing sound waves.
Sure there are some negatives like speaker size and speaker wire but at the end of the day if sound quality and immersive and true surround sound then you must live with it.
And yes I am limited on space aswell as I have a speaker tower on my computer desk and the other one blocking my access to a set of drawers for my clothes.
Such blanket statements are rarely true -- and certainly not true here. A soundbar is not meant to be a complete replacement for a full-blown home theater with AVR and 5.1 (or more) speakers. Anyone expecting that to be the case will obviously be disappointed. Instead, it's an upgrade over just using a TV's built-in speakers in situations where a complete HT solution doesn't work for one or more reasons.

I have a complete home theater with a Dolby Atmos-capable Denon AVR and B&W 5.1 speaker setup in our family room. I also have two setups using soundbars -- a Roku soundbar in our master bedroom, and a Polk Audio 2.1 soundbar in our South Carolina condo living room. While the two soundbar solutions certainly cannot compare to my AVR + 5.1 speaker setup, each offers a huge improvement over using the built-in speakers from the displays, and each solution was relatively inexpensive for the sound improvement gained in each circumstance. I spend about $120 for the Roku soundbar (which includes 4K streaming functionality), and a little over $300 for the Polk solution. In both cases, the improvement gained was well worth the money spent for two situations where a AVR + speaker setup was not an option.

John*Wells

Premium
Real Name
John

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
I cannot help you, John, as I did not buy the subwoofer to pair with the Roku soundbar. I thought it would be overkill for our master bedroom use, plus it would be in the way.

Edwin-S

Premium
Is there any way to.set a crossover point from your surround speakers to the sub? You want to make sure that only the low frequencies are sent to the sub, typically anything below 80 Hz.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Real Name
Sam Posten
A soundbar is not meant to be a complete replacement for a full-blown home theater with AVR and 5.1 (or more) speakers. Anyone expecting that to be the case will obviously be disappointed.

The problem is that multi times a week we have people coming here expecting just that. I don’t know how to let them down gently.

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/roku-w...r-streambar-pro-black/6411908.p?skuId=6411908

I purchased the above speakers and the below sub woofer which arrived today

Roku Wireless Subwoofer (for Roku Audio or Roku TV) Amazon product

The speakers improved sound from my television. However, I admit since adding the subwoofer, today, the wireless speakers don’t seem as clear as they did.

I have verified that all are working. Was the subwoofer a bad idea? The wrong one?

Curious why you purchased a Roku soundbar for a Roku TV? Isn't that overkill?

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
StreetPreacher
Recent bookmarks