What sorts of milage do motorcycles get?

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Joe Szott, May 16, 2006.

1. Joe Szott

Joe Szott Screenwriter

Just wondering, I think they would be super efficient. I've been looking at some cycles for fun, but they never seem to list the EPA MPG numbers like cars do.

For example, what sort of milage would a 750cc bike get? And how far does that typically take you (how big are the gas tanks?) Sorry for the newbness, never been a street rider - just dirt bikes.

2. JeremyErwin

JeremyErwin Producer

3. Jay H

Jay H Producer

Jay
    Very good gas mileage! I don't own a motorcycle but their HP to weight is awesome so they don't need a lot of power to go fast and be fuel efficient at the same time.

Still not better than my bicycle, but better than cars... Somebody with a motorcycle will chime in here now...[​IMG]

Jay

4. Garrett Lundy

Garrett Lundy Producer

Really depends on the model and how you use it. A 650cc twin riden the speed limit will get in the neighborhood of 50+. a 2000+cc V-Twin "choppa" might get by with 20. Some scooter manf.'s like to say 80, but thats with a 120lb rider traveling 35mph 4' behind a cargo van (less wind resistance).

Most bikes are in the 35-45 range when measured in the real-world.

EDIT: I just read that link and had to laugh, as a former HD Sportster owner, there is no way that bike could get 57mpg. Unless you're trailering it.

5. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

??? I have a friend who has a sporty and before he did the 1200 conversion his 883 was getting around 60 all the time. My big sport touring bike gets mid-40s, I can get 50 or better if I ride conservative.

6. Joe Szott

Joe Szott Screenwriter

I have to disagree as well Garrett. My wife had a scooter as her main means of transport for years and it got 100 MPG easily. It wasn't highway legal (small), but the milage was awesome.

7. Garrett Lundy

Garrett Lundy Producer

I''m saying 'scooter" as the street-legal step-throughs in the 200-500cc range (what you can actually ride around town with).
    50cc minibikes and mopeds can get incredible mileage (Car&Driver once tested one to the tune of 109mpg!), but these are incredibly underpowered vehicles that cannot be operated legally on roads. (at least in NY). Thus they tend to be a wate of money unless you live on an oversized college campus.

Or maybe NY is just part of a massive conspiracy where all of our pump-gas is 50% corn syrup, and everything I drive gets really bad mileage because of it.

8. Bejoy

Bejoy Stunt Coordinator

9. DougR

DougR Second Unit

10. Bob Friend

Bob Friend Stunt Coordinator

I have an '05 CBR600RR. If I exercise a little self control I'm lucky to get about 35 miles per gallon.

11. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

The Suzuki Burgman 400 scooter is highway safe and gets mid-60s fuel economy. It's actually an extremely cool little vehicle.
    [​IMG]

12. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

Pretty bike!

13. Eric Kahn

Eric Kahn Guest

My 98 electraglide got 40+mpg untill I had the stage 2 kit put in it
    my 95 goldwing got about 33MPG
    my 98 honda helix scooter gets 60 mpg (I wiegh 400 pounds)

14. Steve_Tk

Steve_Tk Cinematographer

Not sure how they are on gas, but I've worked a lot awful motorcycle fatality accidents. Trusting the rest of the world by getting on those things is crazy.

15. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

Well, we're definitely going in another direction here... But have you ever heard of the "Hurt Report", or done/seen any studies on the training background and/or intoxication of the riders you have witnessed hurt? Analyzed how many were wearing what kinds of riding gear?

A friend of mine who does physical therapy once told me about a story of a horribly injured person who cracked up on a Yamaha R1. After describing some of the difficulties this person is having, she threw in that he was going well over a hundred miles an hour and was drunk when the accident occurred. It wasn't the motorcycle's fault.

I wouldn't say that motorcycles are as safe as a car by any means, but they're not as dangerous as people think they are if you are smart with them. And conversely autos aren't as safe as people think.

I'm sure you've worked lots of fatal auto injuries as well.

16. Joe Szott

Joe Szott Screenwriter

Yeah, death is everywhere. Have fun before it hits you the best way you know how I guess.

So back to bikes. What are some good sport bikes that get say 50 MPG? Would a 500-600 cc sport bike run about that level? I'm thinking about looking into one to use for commuting during the summer and to take around town instead of a new car. Sport bikes look like the best fit to me.

17. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

A Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500 would probably do well. The "super" sport bikes would be a lot to handle, and don't do that well with mileage.

18. Bob Friend

Bob Friend Stunt Coordinator

You most deffinately will not get more than 40 on a 600cc super sport. Not sure of you experience level, but they can be pretty unforgiving to an unexperienced rider.

The local Suzuki dealer has a sign on their GS500Fs that say they get over 50mpg. Not sure it it's true or not.

19. Jay H

Jay H Producer

Jay
  20. Joe Szott

Joe Szott Screenwriter

Holy cow, I was waiting for him to overshoot the dumpster, but man was that ever a bad idea.