What's new

What sort of things do you collect? (1 Viewer)

Stan

Senior HTF Member
Northgun said:
Do you collect special editions in the dvds as well?
Most of my DVDs are special editions, director's cut, etc. I never rush out to buy something the day it's released, I'm fairly patient, knowing there is almost always going to be a better version with comments and other extras in the future. Took me a while to catch on, but by about 2000 I had learned to wait for the special editions. For example I have three versions of "Titanic", that was where it finally clicked and I started waiting for the better versions.

I've slowed way down on my buying also. Maybe 1-2 per month, sometimes nothing at all. Do a lot of rentals from RedBox. My most recent purchase, as lame as this sounds was "2012" and "Deep Impact". Just fun, silly popcorn type flicks, but they were maybe $4 each, so no major loss.

BarryR

Supporting Actor
Real Name
BARRY RIVADUE
I've been trying to downsize everything in my life lately (at 57 why do I need so much accumulation?), but the only things exempt from this are books and DVDs/Blurays. I must have 600+ books (rough estimate), and as many discs, though I sifted out about 125 recently. I also have a stash of ancient VHS cassettes I'm still going through--some go back to 1983 with probably really rare stuff recorded off of TV.

But that's it--books & discs. I wish I lived amidst the simplicity of a Japanese Tea House otherwise.

:cool:

Lee Smith

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Lee F. Smith
Besides DVDs & Blu-Rays, I collect paperback books from the 50s & 60s. I specialize in the Ace Publishing A thru G series.

I also collect T-shirts. Whenever I would go to a new location I would try to buy a T-shirt with something specific to the location. I currently have about 400 of them. I was an instructor for a computer company and went to a lot of places.

Northgun

Second Unit
Real Name
Jacob
Kevin Hewell said:
I think everyone in this thread needs to have a yard sale.
Lol, yeah, quite a few of us probably could. The problem with that idea though is that we would have to b willing to part with our collections

Northgun

Second Unit
Real Name
Jacob
Stan said:
Most of my DVDs are special editions, director's cut, etc. I never rush out to buy something the day it's released, I'm fairly patient, knowing there is almost always going to be a better version with comments and other extras in the future.
Thats cool. It was a great idea to start waiting like that. Ive made the mistake of buying a blu ray only to want the extendes edition that releases later (the most recent being the hobbit)

Northgun

Second Unit
Real Name
Jacob
Richard V said:
Football, baseball, Hockey jerseys. Baseball Caps. Have hundreds.
Thats cool. Are any of them signed? Do you display any of them in your home or do you keep them safe in storage?

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
The latest thing I am collecting is a list of failed theories. :wacko:

Richard V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
Northgun said:
Thats cool. Are any of them signed? Do you display any of them in your home or do you keep them safe in storage?
Have 3 that are signed. Reggie Jackson, Harmon Killebrew, Frank Robinson. Have them in safe keeping. Also have a Joe Montana signed Notre Dame helmet.

Northgun

Second Unit
Real Name
Jacob
Richard V said:
Have 3 that are signed. Reggie Jackson, Harmon Killebrew, Frank Robinson. Have them in safe keeping. Also have a Joe Montana signed Notre Dame helmet.
Thats awesome! Do you have your eyes on anything you want to add to the collection?

Stan

Senior HTF Member
Kevin Hewell said:
I think everyone in this thread needs to have a yard sail.
Acutually had a yard sale a year ago. Had my $50 special edition DVD's out then some snarky woman came by and said "You know you can get those for $3 at Walmart?" Sold an aquarium and some unopened merchandise from QVC but not a single DVD. People apparently don't recognize special editions from just basic rental, pre-used editions.

Not even worth the effort of e-bay, since you basically end up with nothing by the time you go through the labor of packaging, mailing, dealing with pay-pal etc. I'll just keep them myself and enjoy them in the future.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Stan said:
Acutually had a yard sale a year ago. Had my $50 special edition DVD's out then some snarky woman came by and said "You know you can get those for $3 at Walmart?" Sold an aquarium and some unopened merchandise from QVC but not a single DVD. People apparently don't recognize special editions from just basic rental, pre-used editions.

Not even worth the effort of e-bay, since you basically end up with nothing by the time you go through the labor of packaging, mailing, dealing with pay-pal etc. I'll just keep them myself and enjoy them in the future.
Garage sale is the last place to sell collectible DVD. I just sold a DVD for $156. It had one pressing back in 2001 that was an "oops". The "oops"?

The DVD I have contains a scene that is 14 seconds longer because of the song involved. One of the cases of "music rights" causing a disc recall. The scene was edited cause the "new song" was 14 seconds shorter. Give you a hint as to the movie...they were listening to headphones while...well you know...

PODER

Supporting Actor
Real Name
PETER JABLONSKI
I collect grudges. Nah, not really, but it sure seems like a lot of folks do these days ...

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
Stan said:
This is the main reason why I don't bother selling old inexpensive small stuff, whether on Ebay, local classified ads, garage sales, etc ... Too much effort for very little to nothing in return.

Depending on the item, most of the time I usually end up giving it away to local friends or donating it to the local goodwill or salvation army.

In general, I'm not going to waste my time selling small items to only get a few dollars (or nothing). The only time I bother selling stuff, is if a single transaction brings in at least several thousand dollars. (Such as selling a car, house, etc ...).

Type A

HW Reviewer
Real Name
Ty
I recently picked up 250 used music CDs off craigslist for $100. If youre willing to sell media collections they can still be worth something as a whole collection.

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
Type A said:
I recently picked up 250 used music CDs off craigslist for $100. If youre willing to sell media collections they can still be worth something as a whole collection.
A few years ago I looked into selling off my old comic book collection. But after doing some online research, I came to the conclusion that at most I could only get around $100 or so for my entire collection. (Even including the more valuable "Uncanny X-Men" issues from the mid-late 1970's). Essentially it would have been around a penny per comic book.

In the end, I ended up giving my entire comic book collection away to some younger relatives who are into all that superhero type stuff. (One was a nephew who was really into the X-Men and Avengers comic books and movies over the last decade or so, but who never had any of the old stuff).

frik

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Siep
I collect books. My main focus is Stephen King. The problem is: he's an incredibly prolific author, I collect his books in any way, shape or form (as long as it's hardcover...) and most of his books appear unlimited editions....signed......numbered.....lettered......
Some of my bookcases:

b507e8.jpg

e69f4c.jpg

29ca03.jpg

020e0d.jpg

e74bd9.jpg

eb65a3.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks