What's new

What sort of Board Games do you Play (1 Viewer)

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
I wonder how many people will actually get into games in general from that. Mostly it's probably just fans of the comic who see it as a cool novelty.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Played Power Grid : India last night. I Like Power Grud, but haven't played any expansions. And the players included a long-time fan, who's played competitively at conventions. I really enjoyed getting a flavor for how a really good player approaches the game.

Northgun

Second Unit
Real Name
Jacob
Bought the Deep Realms Expansion for Talisman. Cant wait to give it a try! Just got to get the crew together for a board game night. Feels like forever since I've done one.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I played Cards Against Humanity for the first time last night. That will do me for a long time. I complain not that it's offensive, but that it's not a good game. I was soon bored, and checked out to read Facebook on my phone in between choosing random cards to toss out.

The first of three mini-reviews from SUSD expresses my view adequately:
Often, many of these combinations aren’t very good. They aren’t very good whether you find their subjects funny or not, offensive or not. They aren’t very good because they’re sometimes nonsensical or just weird. They aren’t very good because, in an attempt to be as shocking, controversial and offensive as possible, the designers have forgotten to… make things work. There’s very little creativity in combining cards into a joke, because the work and the structuring is done for you. It’s almost like copying someone else’s homework. There’s no life in there.

Shut Up & Sit Down | Review: Cards Against Humanity
http://www.shutupandsitdown.com/blog/post/review-cards-against-humanity/

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
It's a novelty game, for sure. I know a lot of people who enjoy and collect it, but I rarely see anyone actually play it that often.

Dr Griffin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Zxpndk
pbcv.jpg
pbbd.jpg

My brother and I played this game for decades. One of the last times we played it before his passing was a 4 day marathon.

Dr Griffin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Zxpndk
Northgun said:
Never heard of that one before, looks very interesting. I will be looking this one up for sure

We used to drive each other crazy with movements, artillery setups and diversions on several fronts attempting to get just the right weak points. It could take quite a bit of time, and patience was paramount to be effective. Almost as time consuming as the real thing. :)

Dr Griffin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Zxpndk
It may be a hard sell today, with computer gaming versions, but we had many years of serious :lol: entertainment with NFL Strategy. There were two versions of the game. The first we got in the early 70's, which was around for a while. They redesigned the game in the late 80's adding more defenses and offensive plays, a little more detail, and dice instead of the spring loaded random factor bead indicator based on probability percentages! :blink:

pic465772_md.jpg
pic1415072_md.jpg

This is the vintage version. Two slightly different designs

pic462412.jpg
pic462414.jpg

This is the redesigned version.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
My grandkids recently discovered "Risk" so I purchased a "good" copy (one with the older rules and plastic soldiers). It's received lots of play.

On the recommendation of a friend I purchased "Ticket to Ride" which they greatly enjoy. I picked up one of the expansions but we've not yet played with it as we're still "exploring" the base game. Their little sister (age 4) calls it "Chuga Chuga Choo Choo". :D

I picked up a copy of "Agricola" and "Castles of Burgundy" but we've not yet played either of those.

That "NFL Strategy" game reminded me of my *old* copy of "Foto-electric Football" which I dug out. My grandson thought it was really neat and likes it too.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Ticket to Ride is a great game. Agricola is pretty 'hard core'. I recommend Stone Age and its Decorations expansion. It's a great 2 to 5 player game. It looks daunting at first, but becomes straight forward after a few plays. Carcassonne:Discovery is easy to learn and has a fun map-building aspect. 7 Wonders is good for 7 players; 8 with expansion.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
We've never played Carcassonne the Discovery but I *do* have a copy (I keep forgetting to get it out). We have and regularly play Carcassonne (adding one or two expansions most times, always using different ones for variety), Carcassonne Hunters & Gatherers, and Carcassonne the New World. I've been considering picking up a copy of Carcassonne: South Seas and possibly Carcassonne: Gold Rush as they are big fans of the series and enjoy the rules differences in the various stand-alone games as well as the differences expansions add to "regular" Carcassonne. They are also big fans of Settlers of Catan - I have the Seafarers expansion but we've not yet put it into play.

We also picked up a copy of Small World not long ago. They like that one too.

I'm constantly amazed at how well they pick up on the more complicated games (they are 11 & 8) which is why I purchased Agricola and Castles of Burgundy. Both sounded a bit more difficult and look to offer expanded strategy. Their friends look at them funny when they start talking about these games as they all play Monopoly, Uno, and other "standard" kids games. My grandkids do as well but they ask for the more advanced games on a regular basis. It's nice that they have such a wide range of favorites and aren't afraid to try new games, even more difficult ones. Now if I could only get grandma to play with us...

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Small World is a neat game. I've been playing that recently.
Carcassone:Discovery is easier than the standard version, which makes it better fir me to play infrequently with friends. I haven't played the other variants.

If you like 2 player, pure strategy, I was recently shown Hive. It's a clever game with good replay. It's all strategy, no luck.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
Castles of Burgundy is much easier to wrap your head around than Agricola (albeit still challenging, in a good way), and it's also a great game.

Note that many of these games, like Agricola and Small World, have really nice iPad versions that you can pick up for under $10. It's not the same as sitting around a table with friends, but they're great for traveling and/ or trying before buying the real deal.

For WWII platoon-level games, the one to go for these days is probably Panzer Grenadier. I hear that the World at War/ Nations at War system from Mark Walker are good too, but the fonts used on the counters make the numbers very hard to read.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Ticket to Ride by Days Of Wonder, Inc.
https://appsto.re/us/w63Xz.i

TTR was updated last week. Local multiplayer, which I prefer, appears to work well on the iPad. And the review I skimmed said online multiplayer is cross platform: Android and iOS and Windows users can all compete.

But what got my money (having previously bought the base game a couple times) is a $4.99 sale for the complete set of maps and 1910 expansion. This is a huge amount of gameplay; it's got to be more than $200 to buy the physical board games to get all this.

I enjoy and buy boardgames. But being able to play a little TTR lazily on the couch, or while on vacation...well worth the ~$10.

Northgun

Second Unit
Real Name
Jacob
All always enjoy the physical board game better than the digital versions, but you are right, its nice to be able to play the digital versions from time to time, especially when you dont have a group to play with :)

Ive been going through board game withdraw, got the shakes and everything (well not really). Everyone I normally play with has been really busy and Ive had double the hours I normally have this time a year. Looking forward to January when every has some more free time. Im ready to play some Talisman, Arkham Horror, Civilization, Descent, and hopefully a couple of games I put on my Christmas list XD.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thinksinc
Recent bookmarks