What's new

What sort of Board Games do you Play (1 Viewer)

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
We're supposed to play Here I Stand: Wars of the Reformation this weekend, but you really need six players and it looks like we'll only have 4 or 5. :( We've been trying to get it to the table forever, too. If we have five players then someone can play both the French and the Ottomans, but if there are only four, we might have to play something else.

Then again, I've been trying to get Angola to the table for a long time as well, and it's for four. . .

Northgun

Second Unit
Real Name
Jacob
Aaron Silverman said:
I hear great things about Mage Wars. Sounds like it can get really involved with the spell books!
We ended up ordering Mage Wars. We bought the setup that allows us to play four players if we wanted to. My friend was really adamant that we try this one. It should be here on Wednesday :)

Northgun

Second Unit
Real Name
Jacob
Aaron Silverman said:
We're supposed to play Here I Stand: Wars of the Reformation this weekend, but you really need six players and it looks like we'll only have 4 or 5. :( We've been trying to get it to the table forever, too. If we have five players then someone can play both the French and the Ottomans, but if there are only four, we might have to play something else.
I looked the game up, looks like a ton of fun. I'll have to pick it up when the funds come available. Looks like a tougher one to find too. Only a few listings of it on ebay and board game geeks.

Ejanss

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
EricJ
Northgun said:
I looked the game up, looks like a ton of fun. I'll have to pick it up when the funds come available. Looks like a tougher one to find too. Only a few listings of it on ebay and board game geeks.

Had members of the family who worked for the Lutheran church, so we lived and breathed Reformation history growing up, but I'd never heard of this game--

Although from the description, sounds like a 15th-cty. version of Tom Clancy's "Politika", where several factions vie for taking over control of post-Gorbachev Russia. (It was good, but also needed at least four or five players, and the computer-game version was less complicated.)

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
I'm not a fan of Werewolf, but there are a lot of similar "social" games that I like better, like The Resistance (and its Arthurian-themed sequel, Avalon).

Blood Bound is another neat one, with a Vampire theme. My BGG writeup:

A nice but unspectacular party game. Of course, there's always something to be said for a 20-minute game that handles 12 players and doesn't suck.

Had one game where I pulled off a really cool move to win. The fact that the game allows for that sort of thing definitely improved my opinion of it.

I don't know who originally said "this game looks like a Hot Topic threw up on it," but that is a perfect description. The graphic design is SO Hot Topic-y that it's fun!

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
Looks like Here I Stand is postponed until next weekend, when more players are available.

Northgun said:

The sequel, Virgin Queen, may be easier to find. Gameplay is very similar, but it doesn't have the rolling-for-conversion mechanic used by the Papacy and Protestant players (which some people find boring anyway). In fact, it replaces the Papacy player with a Spanish player (and the Hapsburg player with a Holy Roman Empire player).

Ejanss said:
Had members of the family who worked for the Lutheran church, so we lived and breathed Reformation history growing up, but I'd never heard of this game--
Although from the description, sounds like a 15th-cty. version of Tom Clancy's "Politika", where several factions vie for taking over control of post-Gorbachev Russia. (It was good, but also needed at least four or five players, and the computer-game version was less complicated.)

HIS is vastly more involved than Politika, and vastly more interesting. :)

Rulebook PDFs for both HIS and VQ can be downloaded from http://www.gmtgames.com. They are daunting, but very well written as daunting wargame rulebooks go. :)

Incidentally, they are descendants of the game The Napoleonic Wars, which is shorter and simpler but still interesting.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Gave away my copy of "Hey! That's my fish!". Haven't played in years; it's a good game, but didn't get into it.
But a coworker is having a serious family health problem, and his kids play boardgames. I can't do much to help him, but I hoped a new boardgames would bring a little boost of fun for the kids during tough times. And I've been looking for a good new home for "Fish" for a while.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
My son and I used to play that a lot, but it hasn't come off the shelf in a while.

I finally got Cthulhu Wars, that monster Kickstarter game (although the expansion stuff hasn't been printed yet). We live-streamed a game of it (with two nightcaps of Machi Koro) on Youtube:

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
It's not bad. It's very simple, and very dice-dependent, but it plays quickly. It reminds me a little bit of Roma, if you've ever played that.

Northgun

Second Unit
Real Name
Jacob
Mage Wars was a quite enjoyable play. My friend and I are not advanced enough to create our own decks yet, but just playing with the simplified rules and prebuilt decks was surprisingly fun. It is a great way to introduce new players to the game. Will be trying the full rules very soon which add one more layer to the game so to speak. Can't wait to play again :)

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I have no interest in it, but it's crazy popular. I'm not a diehard gamer, but I think the more people gaming, the better.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks