What's new

What sort of Board Games do you Play (2 Viewers)

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
Also played Sagrada with my oldest grandson. He really enjoyed it and said "Mom'd probably like this one too." I agree. It's easy to play and easy to teach. I really think my wife would play this one if we pressed her just a little bit as it's not at all "heavy" and doesn't have "lots of little pieces" (the main thing that turns her off our other games).

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
Target had *another* B2G1 sale last week. I caved... again...

Le Havre - Been wanting this one for quite a while.

Imperial Settlers: Atlanteans - Since I recently purchased the base game I figured "why not" as it adds another player.

Funkoverse DC Comics - A 4 figure "base" game. Sounds like it could be fun so I also ordered

Funkoverse Jurassic Park - 4 figure "base" game that works standalone or as an expansion

Funkoverse Kool-Aid Man - a single figure because it's the Kool-Aid Man and was cheap

Nomads - Very cheap and sounded interesting plus not that hard so should be easy to get my daughter to play

Concordia - Another I've wanted for a while

Cities of Splendor - An interesting sounding expansion

Gaia Project - Another I've wanted to pick up for some time

Troyes - A wish list title that's been OOP for some time and Target, of all places, got some in stock

Evolution - Was on sale *plus* the extra discount. I own a copy of Evolution: The Beginning that I'd picked up to play with the kids with an eye towards this one should they like it enough. Well... the low price made it a "must buy" because I like the sound of its mechanics better.

The Island of El Dorado - Sounds interesting plus was on sale in addition to the extra discount. Made it cheap enough to purchase just to see.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
I played The Island of El Dorado solo this weekend. I enjoyed it enough that I ordered the expansion which has all the required pieces to properly play solo. You can use the solo rules with just the main game and really only miss a small rule due to not having the required tiles (they go in the Cave and can pull or start the "bad guys" into the cave, possibly getting them out of your way). The game itself doesn't seem to be all that heavy and appears to be a decent gateway type game. It'll be interesting to play it with a couple of other players.

Worst part about the game so far is the box. It's one of those things with a fold over lid and magnetic clasp to hold the lid in place. I can't see it being stored on its side without stuff falling out easily. It's clever and attractive but not practical. The expansion is in a proper box but looks too small to hold the main game and it combined.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
House Mars!

My wife learned about this and I insisted we pre-order the special version with the fancier pieces. This is based on a favorite scifi series, and I was willing to take the risk because I love the theme so much.

77A4FFA4-EE94-454D-B4A7-161A4FF68C78.jpeg

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
Jaws is on sale at Target this week for $8.44 - in store or web site:

I caved and purchased a copy. At that price it's worth the risk of it possibly not making it to the table and it looks like it would be fun with the right group.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
House Mars!

My wife learned about this and I insisted we pre-order the special version with the fancier pieces. This is based on a favorite scifi series, and I was willing to take the risk because I love the theme so much.

View attachment 94843
Do you have your copy yet?

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
I discovered a new online game shop: https://tabletopmerchant.com/

I did a test order and was very impressed with both prices, delivery time, and packing.

Their free shipping minimum is $150 (ouch! but the prices kind of make up for it). Less than $150 is a flat $11.99 shipping, which IMHO is a tad high but, again, the prices kind of make up for it if you go that route. They don't have as large selection as some of the bigger guys and stock seems to be more limited. BUT - if you can get to the free shipping amount you can get some really good deals. They also accept "Amazon Pay" (checkout via your Amazon account) - something I've encountered at a couple of other vendors. That made me feel better about the test order as it's backed by Amazon's "A-Z Guarantee" when that payment method is utilized.

Here's my $152 order (a savings of ~$35 off the closest competitor at the time I placed the order):

Rajas of the Ganges - One I've been wanting to pick up for quite some time.
Lift Off!: Get Me Off This Planet (Expanded Deluxe Edition) - Looks like a fun family game. I really think the grandkids'll like it.
Paladins of the West Kingdom - Completing the trilogy. I really enjoy Architects... haven't played Viscounts yet.
Concordia: Balerica & Cyprus Map - Mainly for the "Fish" add on module but also the extra maps.
Dune Imperium - I'm a huge fan of the novels and reviews on this one made it sound too good to pass up.

The packing was superb! Every game was individually wrapped completely in bubble wrap. Pillow packets and/or wadded up heavy paper filled every empty spot with extra cardboard on the bottom, top, and sides, as well as between some of the games. Everything was in perfect condition.

They're still small enough that the packing slip had a personal note from the owner thanking me for the purchase and a comment on how much they enjoy "Rajas of the Ganges" and hope I do too.

I'll be ordering from them again - just as soon as the game pocketbook recovers...

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
New York Zoo
NYZ released late 2020 and our local game store got my wife's order in this Spring. It's a polyominal game based around building a zoo with Flamingos, Meerkats, Snow Foxes, Penguins, and Kangaroos. It's a blend of a placement game like Barenpark and a worker-placement game. It's about worth it for the great animeeples.
IMG_0574.jpeg IMG_0576.jpeg IMG_0602.jpeg IMG_0603.jpeg

Ticket To Ride: New York
I bought this on on a whim for Christmas 2018 or 2019. Two players, it's a reasonably fast and light game. Four players, and it's surprisingly cutthroat!
IMG_0614.jpeg

It's rainy holiday weekend, so we're playing more games than typical. And we decided to dip down in the archives, and play Castles of Burgundy. Turns out we've only played twice, most recently summer of 2019. Playing it two more times in succession, we're getting the hang of it and and enjoying it more. This is a classic Euro tile-placement game. Pretty crunchy, with dice that hate you.
IMG_0618.jpeg

Northgun

Second Unit
Real Name
Jacob
NYZ looks really fun! I have actually gotten into board game design as of lately. Was able to obtain a license to base it on the up and coming video game Vintage Story. In the early testing phases with it, so its got a long ways to go, but its been a fun ride so far.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
New York Zoo is a fun game. If you like Polyominals, it’s worth checking out. It’s like Barenpark in depth and complexity. It has a few rules that were a bit confusing to us until a few plays got them settled in our mind.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
I've been looking at New York Zoo for a bit - looks interesting.

Get Ticket to Ride London - The bonus mechanism is a bit more interesting and it has the traditional score track on the edge of the board (the main thing we don't like about New York - not that it's really needed with these but we just miss it). Like New York it can be rather cut throat and has a very tight board with 4 people (even 3). We play both fairly regularly due to them being quick to play and quite fun. Recently purchased TTR: Amsterdam but haven't played it enough to know what we think. I *can* say I don't think I care for its bonus mechanism (complete one of several specially indicated routes for a "merchandise" card with the person earning the most receiving the larger bonus)

We've played CoB 3 times. I've tried numerous times to get it back to the table without success in spite of the grandkids saying they liked the game. Time has been one issue with and that factor with my daughter where she doesn't like to learn a new game, especially if it looks to be on the heavy side. And, yeah, those dice are evil...

This weekend we got in another game of Stone Age - still not using the expansion although I finally put it into the box with the main game. This play was my son, his first time to play, my oldest grandson, and myself. My son won by a single point (he "stole" the victory from me by purchasing the building I wanted, forcing me to one that was a point lower in value).

We also got in a 3 player game of Blood Rage as well as a 4 player game with my oldest grandson, again, wining and had a runaway victory (almost 100 points higher than the next lower score) on the 4 player game (the kid's really good at this one and almost always wins).

There was a single game of Fairy Tale (the grandkids all like this one and my daughter proclaimed she didn't care for it in spite of liking it earlier). My 17yo grandson has really wanting to play this one again to see if he likes it as much as he remembered in anticipation of purchasing his own copy. I didn't ask him his verdict after that single game. When we'd play with his sisters (the 14yo and 10yo) we'd almost always play 3-5 games before switching to something else. I really need to sleeve the cards for this one as they're cut irregularly just enough to make them hard to shuffle well.

There was a 6 player game of Sagrada. I'm not so sure I like Sagrada with 6 players due to the downtime between turns - but we also had 3 people who'd never played the game before. We played that one with no expansions due to the newer players.

We also played a couple of games of Dino Hunt with the 7 yo dino lover. His 9yo brother joined us for one and my 10yo grandaughter and my daughter for the other. The 7yo won both.

And got in a 3 games of Azul, 1 of Catan, and 1 of the original Ticket to Ride. For Sagrada, 1 of the Blood Rage, Azul, and Catan we were joined by my daughter's boyfriend who's never played hobby board games much, usually playing the classic Ameritrash stuff (Monopoly, Sorry, etc.). He told her "I like these kind of games."

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
My local boardgaming group resumes today, first meetup since the pandemic shut down the library last April. The November prior, my best friends there moved out of state (good for them, but bummer for me).

I am ambivalent about gaming today. It will be good to get back to normal gaming again. And my wife very much needs this. But 18 months later, I’ve built a new weekend routine that I now have to overhaul. And it’s been a week in the office with people, and the prospect of spending my Saturday with people leaves me a little meh.

But I’ve not finished my coffee. Or gone out for my Saturday morning park-exercise routine. I’ll be more upbeat tonight after playing some board games. :)

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Had a good time at gaming group. Good turnout, with some brand new folks visiting for the first time. Saw some gaming acquaintances I’ve not seen in 18 months or longer. Played games I knew. And played a new-to-me older Euro that was quite solid.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
So what *was* that new-to-you older Euro?

My 10yo granddaughter spent the night with us Friday and we started Game 5 of Harry Potter: Hogwart's Battle. After an hour and having beat roughly a third of the villains (you have to beat them all and new ones are added with each game/level) she declared she was tired (she'd stayed up until almost midnight Friday and got up at 11am Saturday) so we ended the game.

It's a quite fun game with each new game adding more villains, more villain attack cards, and more cards to the deck of cards you can purchase to help your hand. It can also be quite challenging, which is what wore her down this time as we began with a couple of villains that hit us hard every turn. That's something you don't want early in the game as your deck hasn't been beefed up at that point making some of them quite challenging to eliminate. She decided we "need" more people to play so that it's "easier" to beat the villains. I'm not so sure more would help as much as she thinks. In either event, it's getting her mom and/or brother or sister to join us. It's an easy game to teach and is easy to play. All of us have lots of time with various deck builders so it's more a matter of getting them to join a game.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks