1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

What sort of Board Games do you Play

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Northgun, Sep 16, 2013.

1. Sam Posten

Sam Posten Moderator

Sam Posten
    I'm beginning to doubt your commitment to Sparkle Motion, Bob...

2. DaveF

DaveF Moderator

Dave
    I didn't know there were multiple Oregon Trail games. So, yeah, I don't recommend the card game.

My first Terraforming Mars game had what the other players described as an unusually slow economy game, with all the "attack" elements coming out. They said it was atypical. That was two years ago. Hopefully this upcoming game works better. :)

3. BobO'Link

BobO'Link Producer

Howie
    OK... you're gonna have to 'splain that one... :huh:

4. Sam Posten

Sam Posten Moderator

Sam Posten
    Donnie Darko

5. BobO'Link

BobO'Link Producer

Howie
    Well... I've never seen the movie so I still don't really get it... So I google it... seems it's supposed to be "something awesome" or "To acknowledge that others do not share your obsessive devotion to something." So in reference to "Sparkle Kitty" you are correct. I have no commitment to "Sparkle Motion." The look from Mary McDonnell in that clip says it all... perfectly... :D

Sam Posten likes this.
  6. Sam Posten

Sam Posten Moderator

Sam Posten
    We played 6 of the 10 episodes of Machi Koro Legacy today. I lost all 6. Was only in contention for one and lost due to RNG. The RNG is supppppper plus in this version. If you invest in normal things and get bad streaks you will lose. It reminded me a lot of Charterstone story wise but reinforced how much I love Charterstone more than 'boy I love this because it reminds me of CS' if that makes any sense.

7. Sam Posten

Sam Posten Moderator

Sam Posten
    1FD7A417-2E3C-4CE5-973F-71EE30D37C67. Tapestry has landed for one of the guys in my group

BobO'Link likes this.
  8. BobO'Link

BobO'Link Producer

Howie
    I picked up a copy of Parfum for a song a couple of months back. My oldest granddaughter selected it as the new game to try a couple of days ago. It's not a "deep" game but was quite fun. It's generally a set collection game using dice - I'm not overly fond of dice in games as they're just so random. They provide a mechanism to remove most of that randomness making the collecting part the more strategic part of the game. I also picked this one up due to its lower age range, starting at 8. My 8yo granddaughter really enjoyed it and, after a few rounds, got the hang of it. She also won the first game which is a huge plus as she normally doesn't do that well with some of our games. We played with their mom last night and she enjoyed it so I can see this one making it to the table at least semi-regularly for a while. Their brother refused to play saying "You already have a couple of games like that - it doesn't sound interesting." I really think it's the whole idea you're creating perfume bottles to sell at market that's putting him off. Well... and that he's 16 and has gotten into Magic the Gathering lately so has pretty much lost interest in many board games.

To that end... I used to be a regular MTG player - back in the late 1990s and early 2000s. I still have all my old cards so have gotten out a few decks I made to play against him. We played a few games yesterday and he was quite surprised that a black/blue enchantment/control deck beat out his new mega-monster set in a two of three set of games. I'd played a few recent release pre-builts against that deck and lost resoundingly so winning with that ~20 year old deck of mostly "weenie" type cards really surprised him.

[​IMG]

9. BobO'Link

BobO'Link Producer

Howie
    I finally picked up a copy of Barenpark. Got it from gamenerdz.com for $32.

I placed a large enough order to get free shipping by adding some expansions that are somewhat hard to find:

Puerto Rico: Expansions 1 & 2 (I actually think this combo pack is rather new but they have a super low price on it)
    Cytosis: Virus
    Smash Up: Awesome Level 9000 (not all that hard to find this one but most places are currently OOS so...)
    The Quest for El Dorado: Heroes and Hexes (another that looks to have maybe come back into print with their price much lower than elsewhere)

I also snagged a deal on "Isle of Skye: Journeyman" from Amazon (just under $8 after tax).

Gamenerdz packaged very well. My biggest issue is they use packing peanuts rather than bubble wrap or paper but I'm not going to complain as nothing was damaged and the contents were stacked well in the box which provided ample room for outer crush before inner contents would be impacted. Shipping was reasonably fast. I placed the order last Friday night and it arrived today. Had they used someone other than DHL to get it to USPS it'd have arrived quicker but 8 days is still quite acceptable. I'll be using them again.

Sam Posten likes this.
  10. BobO'Link

BobO'Link Producer

Howie
    Speaking of "Isle of Skye" - my 8yo granddaughter and I finally played this one yesterday - a first time play for both of us. We couldn't get the 12yo and 16yo to play - bummer. Still, we really enjoyed the game and I can see it being much better with more people. It also plays fairly quickly which, for us, tends to be a plus. I really want to get the older kids to play as I think they'd enjoy it. If I get the right night I think I can get their mom to play. The rules are easy to pick up which is a huge plus for her.

11. Sam Posten

Sam Posten Moderator

Sam Posten
    You should definitely pick up Village Pillage. Either retail or back the new expansions on KS and bundle in the original. Your grandkids would love it.

12. Message #692 of 720 Oct 4, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 4, 2019
    BobO'Link

BobO'Link Producer

Howie
    I'll give "Village Pillage" a look when I get home (at work right now and can't easily watch review videos - too many interruptions). It sounds like something they might like.

The 8yo, 16yo, and I played "Isle of Skye" last night. My grandson did not like it with his main complaint being the selling/buying process for board tiles. He said "I'd prefer to just draw them, pick 2, and play them. This whole selling thing isn't good or fun." I can't say that I disagree. With the three of us it didn't work better like I'd thought. If I can get him to play again (doubtful) it'll be with that house rule in place.

That whole selling/buying board tiles is the mechanism that's kept me away from "Castles of Mad King Ludwig" as it just doesn't look/sound like something we'd enjoy. That's part of why I picked up "Isle of Skye" as it was a much less expensive way to test the waters with that mechanism. Without that mechanism "Isle of Sky" is a rather fun little tile laying game and we do like the different ways to score each turn as well as the limited "rounds" in a game.

It's really getting hard to get the older 2 to the game table. My grandson discovered "Magic the Gathering" and is practically obsessed with it. At least I have all my old pre-5th edition cards and play against him regularly. But these new cards are absolutely "broken" if played with older cards. Cheap to cast with stupid powers/abilities. You need cards of the same set just to stay alive more then 4-6 turns.

My oldest granddaughter (age 12, almost 13) is too caught up with her phone to be bothered with games.

I absolutely *hate* cellphones! I just don't understand why parents give them to kids, especially younger ones, and let the older ones have their life taken over by these things. At least they're banned at the dinner table - all phones - don't bother calling at all during a meal 'cause no one's going to answer.

Sam Posten likes this.
  13. BobO'Link

BobO'Link Producer

Howie
    "Village Pillage" looks interesting - but I'm not sure I want to get another card game. I'll show the Dice Tower video to them before deciding. Without playing it first I don't want to invest in the Kickstarter.

Sam Posten likes this.
  14. BobO'Link

BobO'Link Producer

Howie
    Well... after saying "I'm not sure I want to get another card game." I took advantage of this week's B2G1 sale at Target and picked up:

Welcome to the Dungeon (final cost $9.36)
    Lost Cities Card Game (final cost $6.58 - and it's the new 6th Expedition version)

Plus:
    Bob Ross: The Art of Chill (final cost $14.30 - looked like one the kids might like)
    Azul (final cost: $17.57 - this one's a Christmas gift for my son. He really liked it when we played it a few months back and has almost picked up a copy but decided he needed the funds elsewhere.) I'm looking real hard at getting a couple of the "Joker" tile sets for this one as it's one I can usually get the kids to play and I know my son'd like them. Plus they look real cool:
    [​IMG]

Sam Posten likes this.
  15. Message #695 of 720 Nov 14, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 15, 2019
    BobO'Link

BobO'Link Producer

Howie
    My son and his family are in town this week - staying with us. He's put in a request to play Scythe Friday night. I'm for it as my copy's never made it to the table. I'm very much hoping it's significantly better than "My Little Scythe," a game all of us, even the 8yo and 11yo target audience, found quite boring. My son played that one with us ~9 months ago and doesn't recall playing it at all (until I gave some very specific game play information that is - but he was unimpressed as well). He *has* played Scythe 3-4 times and asked for it to be played so that's encouraging as he and I tend to share a liking for the same games. Right now it's going to be me, my son, and my 16yo grandson playing. I tried to interest the 13yo granddaughter but she's afraid it'll be too much like MLS and isn't interested. It doesn't help that my daughter-in-law is planning a "movie night" for the younger kids (ages 3, 6, 7 1/2, 8 1/2) that's pulling her in. At least I've read Scythe plays very well with 2-3 players - possibly better than with higher player counts. My son thinks that might be correct as he feels it bogs down a bit with 5 (his typical game group and player count on the games he's played to date).

My son and I played a couple of rounds of Onitama last night. That's almost a first play for me - I'd played it once or twice a couple of years back with my (then 14yo) grandson using a print-and-play version. I liked it but don't recall his reaction. My son enjoyed it and thinks it might be a good one for his older kids (ages 6 and 7 1/2). Having played a couple of "basic" card games with them this week (Sushi Go! and Dragonwood) I'm not so sure but would be willing to try a game or two with them just to find out.

**EDIT**
    That attempt with Onitama and the younger kids was a bust. It was a "madhouse" at the house last night. All the smaller (ages 8 and under) kids were terrors with my son's kids deciding this was the night to ignore everyone and just run amok. I retreated to my den to get some sanity back and only emerged at bedtime - which was another ordeal.

And it looks like tonight's Scythe game will be just my son and me as my grandson has to march at a football game (his HS team made the playoffs... yea... and of course the band has forced attendance). That's the kind of crap that turned me completely off/against sports when I was in school. The football/basketball/etc. team never had to attend band concerts but the band had to attend all the games. A stupid double standard that persists.

16. BobO'Link

BobO'Link Producer

Howie
    My son and I played Scythe. That's a very fun game! Lots of strategy and can be played without messing with an opponent if desired. Having played "My Little Scythe" I was a bit concerned that Scythe would be too similar and just as boring. It's not and puts "My Little Scythe" to shame making it look even more "meh" than it is. My grandson came in from his ball game in time to watch the last half dozen or so turns and liked what he saw. I lost but had fun doing so. I thought I was doing pretty well but failed to notice my son was racking up $$ with a factory upgrade. I want to play a few games with my older grandkids first but am ready to spring for a few of the upgrades/modules to add more variety and longevity to the base game.

17. Yee-Ming

Yee-Ming Producer

Yee Ming Lim
    Welcome to the Dungeon is a great little "push your luck" game I played a few times.

I backed Village Pillage on KS and love the quality; still haven't played it yet though... :oops:;) Also backed the new expansions, hopefully by the time they show up we'll have gotten a few rounds of the base game under our belts...

Sam Posten likes this.
  18. Sam Posten

Sam Posten Moderator

Sam Posten
    It takes 10m to play, great for filler!

19. BobO'Link

BobO'Link Producer

Howie
    I picked up a copy of "Welcome to the Dungeon" during the recent Target B2G1 sale. As much as anything as it looks like a very quick playing game and has good reviews (and the Dice Tower one made it really sound good). These days it seems like those are the only thing I can get to the table!

20. DaveF

DaveF Moderator

Dave
    Games I've played somewhat recently include:

Space Base - Think Machi Koro but without the unevenness. You get something every time you roll. As the game proceeds you get something more regularly with your opponents rolls. And the game gets richer with more people -- you'll get more from opponents rolls than your own. I can't say I *love* it. But it's a solid game with a decent space theme. Worth checking out.

Barenpark - I've described this previously. Still fun many plays later as a nicely themed polyomino game.

Martian Dice - Silly push-your-luck dice game. Fast to play, good starter or closer.

Walking in Burano - We've only played as two player, and it's ok (not great, not bad). Wondering if it would play better with more people. It's basically a deck builder where you're building a row house, tiny European neighborhood.