1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

What sort of Board Games do you Play

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Northgun, Sep 16, 2013.

1. Sam Posten

Sam Posten Moderator

Sam Posten
  2. DaveF

DaveF Moderator

Dave
    Why are you photographing your monitor? :laugh:

cmd-shift-5

Or

Windows->Snipping Tool

3. Message #663 of 674 Aug 12, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2019 at 5:55 AM
    DaveF

DaveF Moderator

Dave
    It violated my most basic rule for Eurogaming: don't leave players with nothing to do. My game ended 20 minutes before everyone else's. So I sat, bored, waiting for the rest of the gamers to finish. First game, and I played the wrong strategy, and so I didn't have enough "engine" in the late game, causing the game to end prematurely for me. This is *terrible* game design to me. Even if I'm doomed to lose, a game should not allow me to be bereft of actions or process while everyone continues on. This is a generalization of disliking player elimination in modern games. We're there to have a shared experience: kicking me out early ruins it.

I see why people like Everdell. It does new things with play order and "turns". But I can't overlook such a fundamental design choice, and I have no interest in trying it again.

BobO'Link and DavidJ like this.
  4. Sam Posten

Sam Posten Moderator

Sam Posten
    Of course I know this. This was sent as a text message a week ago, not from my PC

5. Sam Posten

Sam Posten Moderator

Sam Posten
    I respect that, but feel that it's a mistake to blow it off because of that. I'd rather be done and on to something else if I'm going to lose, rather than be forced to play another 45 minutes with a losing strategy. Now you know for next play through you cannot rush, you absolutely must take care to make very deliberate decisions in first season. The longer you take the longer you lock up the very limited choices that others have, and vice versa. No other game makes you this deliberate in how you plan out.

The price for this is often a sub-optimal first play. That's incentive right there to try it again.

6. DaveF

DaveF Moderator

Dave
    There is nothing else to be onto. It’s four of us playing a game. I’m dead in the water, twiddling my thumbs for 20 min, waiting for the game to end so I can maybe get to another game before the night is done.

I understand what the game is trying to do. But there are many better and fun games for me to play than to revisit one with a design ethos counter to what I’m looking for in boardgaming.
    [​IMG]

Sam Posten likes this.
  7. BobO'Link

BobO'Link Producer

Howie
    I absolutely hate player elimination in games. Even if I'm losing I'd rather be doing something in the game than sitting around waiting for everyone else to finish so we could play again or play something else.

I was already on the fence about Everdell simply because of the gimmicky tree piece and board shape. I watched a play through with the designer using a early version of the board. That board was squarish and had no tree. I thought it was much cleaner and better designed than the final circular board with the tree gimmick. I can safely say I doubt I'd even punch the tree parts out, much less put it together.

One review commented that the card text is rather small - something that can really slow down game play as everyone is constantly picking up cards to see what they say.

At this point I'd really want to see a copy in person and play a game or two before purchasing one for my collection.

8. DaveF

DaveF Moderator

Dave
    I found the cards hard to read and parse at first. They have a lot of information, relatively small text, and complex artwork behind it all. For me it was more difficult than usual to grasp the cost and effects of the cards because of the visual complexity.

I was also frustrated with its representation of the phase of the game you're in: you're in the phase of the game that your tokens aren't in. Akin to the cards, it was visually confusing. You start off in Winter, which is a state not at all represented by the game board or worker placement. You then enter Spring, which is indicated by gaining the worker in the Spring location. And now you know that you are in Spring because you are, literally, not in Spring. I understand what the game designer had in mind, but I found it visually confounding.

I get why people like it. It's attempts something very clever: asynchronous game phases. In every Euro, in every game, players proceed through a set number of actions in a round, and proceed through the rounds together, often for a set number of rounds. In Everdell, the number of actions each player gets in a round varies, and players advance into different major rounds at different rates. But this can lead to the aberrant state of someone ending their game well before everyone else does.

If that sounds intriguing to you, give it a go.

9. BobO'Link

BobO'Link Producer

Howie
    That play design/mechanism is totally off putting. One of the reviews I watched didn't exactly put it that way but said something along the lines of "You can finish a season before everyone else and it's not clear if you go on or wait for everyone else to catch up. You go on." That this can cause one player to finish well in advance of everyone else wasn't mentioned or clear. That, more than the tree and board, turns me off this one.

It sounds odd but when I saw that tree on the table my first thought was "Wow... sure don't want to be putting that thing together every time we'd play." That, more than anything else at the time, turned me off of the game. I can put up with the odd shaped board but don't care for those either.

The odd board design is my one negative about the upcoming "Terror Below." Those usually get damaged more easily than a square/rectangle board, especially when they have bits sticking out like on "Terror Below." I "get" what the designers are going for but that kind of stuff just doesn't work for me. If an odd design improves game play then I'm all for it but it rarely does and is typically just window dressing. I also get the impression they cost more to produce while not typically being as well manufactured (most of the odd shaped boards don't have properly sealed edges like a square/rectangle have).

10. Sam Posten

Sam Posten Moderator

Sam Posten
    BF188ADF-C10C-4B76-9CEF-858430C52677. D01FD199-DA2B-44CE-90F6-0CCCAB37E404. You people are crazy, but whatever.

Trogdor!!!!!!!

Burninating the peasants.

Burninating the countryside!

11. DaveF

DaveF Moderator

Dave
  12. Sam Posten

Sam Posten Moderator

Sam Posten
    Uh, Trogdor....

13. BobO'Link

BobO'Link Producer

Howie
    I'm really getting tired of KS special "backer editions" that look amazing but the "regular" release cuts corners.

Here's what you get if you didn't back it on KS:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    They're OK but nowhere as cool as the KS exclusive version.

If you feel you must reward backers (and that's not bad) then either make the game identical for everyone but give backers a discount, offer the KS extras as a add-on, or offer the KS version in a limited edition at a premium price. Essentially, I'm OK with KS backers getting something extra as long as that extra stuff can be purchased at retail or directly from the game makers by non-backers for an extra cost.

Sam Posten likes this.
  14. Yee-Ming

Yee-Ming Producer

Yee Ming Lim
    The problem with that is, with retailer discounts, it then becomes possible to acquire everything at roughly the same price as anyone who backed the game via KS, save that backers get the game earlier (and even then sometimes that gets botched up). That disincentivizes backing the KS since a "wait and see" position then literally costs nothing but time -- you don't have to take the risk the project fails and you lose your money, and also you don't have to pay up front. And if people don't back the KS then it's possible the project never gets off the ground at all.

My own view is that anything which can affect gameplay should be available to non-KS backers, e.g. more cards/scenarios/tiles whatever, so that anyone late to the party can still and should be able to play the exact same game as a KS-backer. And so improved tokens which do not affect gameplay are, to my mind, one fair way to reward KS-backers for their faith in the project -- the game still plays the same for a non-KS backer, just that they don't get the nicer shinier tokens.

Sam Posten likes this.