1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

What sort of Board Games do you Play

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Northgun, Sep 16, 2013.

1. BobO'Link

BobO'Link Producer

Howie
    I've not played Dixit but, like you, don't particularly care for "clue" type games. I've also decided I dislike coop games and most "party" games.

2. BobO'Link

BobO'Link Producer

Howie
    After that 5 player round of Cytosis we played a few rounds of "Unstable Unicorns." My daughter was persuaded to join us (she typically doesn't like to learn new games and to learn *two* new ones in a single day is quite the exception for her especially after one like Cytosis which has a 3-5 round or better learning curve) for a 6 player game. She was pretty confused most of that game (I don't get it as it's a very simple game and you just do *exactly* what the cards say without trying to add interpretation to them) but enjoyed it enough that we played again, this time with 5 players (my oldest granddaughter dropped out as it was a rather cut throat game and she lost). That 2nd game went on *waaaaay* too long for all of us. At one point my oldest grandson made a winning play and I looked at his little sister (8yo - I was helping her a bit with strategy) and said "What!?! You're not 'neighing' that play?!?" so she did. That simple suggestion added at least a half hour to the game! The lead swung all over the place with my son finally getting a lucky draw and saw he had a game winning hand going from 3 unicorns to 7 in one play. Had he not done that I was set to win.

After that hand it was pretty unanimous that we won't be playing that one again for a while. I'm happy as I'm not particularly fond of it and play it simply because my oldest grandson (15yo) and oldest granddaughter (12yo) like it. If I was that age I'm sure I'd like it far more than I do.

I've read reviews from people claiming it's a strategy game. It really isn't - at least not in the way I think of strategy. It's more turn based opportunistic type strategy based on the luck of the draw (like almost all card games). You really can't plan ahead with any assurance of success as there are too many luck based variables.

That said, I'm sure I'll be playing it again but it won't be one I'll suggest.

Sam Posten likes this.
  3. DaveF

DaveF Moderator

Dave
    Imhotep four player is better than two player. The extra push and pull on loading versus shipping improves the game a lot.

Barenpark four player is as good as it is two player.

Haven't had a chance to play the new Dixit expansion yet. We love the art and enjoy it as an alternate, lighter weight game when we don't want to build economic engines or place meeples. :)

But like with Codenames, it's definitely not everyone's type of fun (saying that as someone who doesn't really like Codenames and can't figure out why everyone went bonkers for it two years ago).

Sam Posten likes this.
  4. DaveF

DaveF Moderator

Dave
    From the name alone, I'd assume "unstable unicorns" is cut from the same cloth as "Exploding Kittens", and is a lightweight, mostly random, non-gamers game.

Sam Posten likes this.
  5. BobO'Link

BobO'Link Producer

Howie
    Yes, that's a good description. I've never played "Exploding Kittens" but it was one my grandson mentioned along with "Unstable Unicorns" in a group of card games he wanted me to check out. After looking them over (descriptions only) I selected "Unstable Unicorns" as the one that looked to have more "feet." After playing it I have no desire to pick up any of the others. He can do that with his money. ;)

6. DaveF

DaveF Moderator

Dave
    Yep. We got "Simon's Cat" as a gift a few years ago, and finally played it last night. It's based on Simon's Cat (a delightful cartoon series). The game, though, not so much. It's like simplified Uno for young kids. And the game was obviously not play tested, or they just don't care about gaming, because the game has a fundamental mechanics weakness that turns the game into rote card playing when everyone is low on cards.

Sam Posten likes this.
  7. Sam Posten

Sam Posten Moderator

Sam Posten
    Doneski. Bob Villa ain't got nothin on me.

Dumdums only sent me the neoprene sized for it without the extension tho!

Attached Files:

DavidJ, BobO'Link and DaveF like this.
  8. DaveF

DaveF Moderator

Dave
    @Sam Posten
    Link to manufacturer site?

Have you gamed on it yet? How do you like it? I've looked into the dedicated tables with such designs and the "bowl" design turned me off. Seemed like it would harder to reach over and into. So I'm curious what your experience is like.

Sam Posten likes this.
  9. Sam Posten

Sam Posten Moderator

Sam Posten
    www.ultimategametable.com

It's a 3.5' Game Changer topper with a 2' extension installed in the middle. As noted the fitted cover doesn't work with the extension installed/

First game on it tonight.

I rest my hands on tables of all kinds and having the bowl prevents me from knocking over poker chips and meeples alike.

It will also allow me to put a circle of LED lighting insider. Which is a prolem for when it breaks down to 3 pieces, so the lighting must be removable. Noodling on that still. Thinking velcro.

It's big tho. Almost too big to game on with folks on the end 7+' from each other. But both my kitchen and dining room tables seat 8.

DaveF likes this.
  10. Sam Posten

Sam Posten Moderator

Sam Posten
    Anyone bit on the Amazon Prime Day sale? I bought patchwork and Smallworld

11. BobO'Link

BobO'Link Producer

Howie
    While I've not played on one I think I'd like the "bowl" design as it looks like it keeps everything on the table. Roll dice without needing a tower (to keep those crazy rollers under control), pieces stay on the table if bumped, etc.

We have a largish drop-side table my wife has said I need in my cave for games. It's a tad too small for some so I've been considering a topper for it. I won't know for sure until I get it in place. The other option is my son, who's turning into quite a good woodworker. All I'd need would be some plans and he could build one for me.

12. BobO'Link

BobO'Link Producer

Howie
    I picked up:

Unstable Unicorns Rainbow Apocalypse Expansion Pack ($10.50 - the kids like the game so why not?).
    Whistle Stop Rocky Mountains Expansion ($14.44 - great price for this one - lowest I have found at other suppliers is ~$21 - still need to play the game though...).

I found a few deals at Barns & Noble... picked up a copy of Barenpark and Dragonvale for ~$36 shipped after discounts and tax. Their price for Barenpark alone - after discounts and even with tax/shipping added was still lower than the lowest price I've been able to find. Even together the total is a bit less than the best price I've seen for Barenpark and Dragonvale looks like one the grandkids'll like - plus it looks like a quick playing game.

I've been unable to find a "Board Games Deal" page at Amazon so just relied on my Board Game Wish List to see what's dropped. It is a very small list (the price drops that is...).

We really enjoy Smallworld and have most of the expansions and stand alone variants. I keep watching for "Sky Islands" (the only in-print expansion we don't have) to drop in price but it's held pretty stable at ~$30. That's $10-$15 more than I'm willing to pay. I also waited too long to pick up a copy of "Realms" and it's now apparently OOP and going for high $$.

13. DaveF

DaveF Moderator

Dave
    Wife bought Castles of Burgandy. Nothing else on sale to blind buy.

Already have Patchwork: great two player game.

I like SmallWorld, but my wife doesn’t like all the pieces and fussiness so it never gets brought to the table. :)

Sam Posten likes this.
  14. DavidJ

DavidJ Producer

David

When I saw Sam's post above I went looking to see if there were deals and didn't have much success. If there are deals on games they don't seem to be a priority to promote.

15. DaveF

DaveF Moderator

Dave
    And Amazon Prime day stuff has limited quantities. They sell out. So if you're not fast enough you'll miss it completely.

16. Sam Posten

Sam Posten Moderator

Sam Posten
    DavidJ likes this.
  17. DavidJ

DavidJ Producer

David
    Sam Posten likes this.
  18. titch

titch Supporting Actor

Kevin Oppegaard
    My nine year old son loves board games. I taught him to play chess when he was four years old and a highlight of our trip to London last month was a trip to Hamleys and the board game section. He then taught my brother how to play Risk when we got home. IMG_8997. IMG_9069.

DavidJ, DaveF and Sam Posten like this.
  19. Yee-Ming

Yee-Ming Producer

Yee Ming Lim
    I must say Hamley's selection has been getting less and less in recent years. Many years ago I actually came across a copy of History of the World as published by Gibson Games, so I think it was the edition after Avalon Hill folded, just to give an indication of how deep the inventory was. And in the mid 2010s there was still a reasonable selection of euros. I was there in June and the selection seemed rather 'basic'.

20. Sam Posten

Sam Posten Moderator

Sam Posten
    Just played Villagers, new off Kickstarter. Highly recommended.