What's new

What sort of Board Games do you Play (1 Viewer)

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
My grandson came over after work and we played a couple of hands of Magic:TG. He beat me both hands, but just barely on the 2nd. I played a couple of pre-constructed decks I'd picked up years ago against his customized pre-built I purchased him for Christmas. We then played a hand of Ascension using the spankin' new 1st release set I picked up during that Amazon sale. I beat him on that one. He really enjoyed it and is looking forward to a 3 player game with his oldest sister (the one who beats me most of the time). We're talking about making this Saturday a full day of board games.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
The 3 grandkids spent the night in anticipation of "Saturday Game Day" so we started early by opening and playing Lanterns, one of those Amazon sale games I purchased.

The girls (ages 7 and 11) and I liked it. My grandson (age 15) said "I didn't like it much and don't really want to play it again." We'll see. I think part of it was he didn't like one of the mechanisms (if a particular color lantern card pile runs dry the player(s) who would have received a card of that color go home empty handed) and his older sister won (by over 10 points). The 7 year old came in dead last, but only by 4 points. I think she did a very good job. Her biggest issue is she's a "card hoarder" (in TTR she'll regularly have 20+ cards and *always* picks a wild card if it's on the table) and the rules mandate that you play a card grouping if you have 12 or more lantern cards in your hand. The play mechanism is fairly simple but it can be a challenge to make the best tile placement to get the best scoring card sequence. It's a good ~30 minute filler type game that sets up and tears down quickly.

I don't know just what'll be on tap for today, I usually let them decide, but I'm going to push those unopened games. I absolutely want to play Blood Rage and Palace of Mad King Ludwig.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
The 7 year old went home about mid-morning after a hand of Fairy Tale. She asked to play that one while we were waiting for her brother and sister to get up. Her brother heard the "snap/snap/snap/snap" of putting up the folding table and got up in time to join us. Their sister got up about half-way through the game. So... I'd already fed the 7 year old and we took a break to get some breakfast in the older 2. That irritated the 7 year old so she went home - not wanting to wait for them and proclaiming "I'm bored" (in all fairness, her sister wouldn't let her use the DS while they ate but I'd also already told her "Go play Barbie for a few minutes and we'll play some more games"). Oh well...

So, the older 2 and I played The Quest for El Dorado - selected by the 11 year old. It was a hit. We all enjoyed the game (my grandson was excited when he found out it uses deck building - a mechanic we all really like) and want to play again but also were wanting to get in more "new" games so stopped after a single play. I must say that it takes up a very large amount of table. It's too large for the card table we use when playing in the den so we played on the dining room table. The 11 year beat me and her brother about the time we realized she was "running away" with the game. We were too focused on long-term strategy while she just played without giving it much thought. I almost caught up with a last ditch desperation play but it just wasn't to be. This one also takes a bit of set up and tear down time. There are 15 little piles of cards to put out, a few player boards, plus building the track (using diagrams in the instructions - but you can also build your own). There are 10 pieces used to construct the "easy" track recommended for the first few plays. I think the 7 year old will like this one too and I think the game play is easy enough we can get their mom to join us.

After looking over the games, the 11 year old suggested Small World as the next to play. While not "new" it's one we've not played much but we all like it and agreed to a playing. A couple of months back I'd read the rules, again, and had watched some game play online where I discovered we were conquering territories incorrectly. We played with the correct movement this time which made for a much different game and made going into decline more useful. The way we'd played before that mechanism didn't get used much. That change also saw more races hit the table. It was much more fun than how we'd been playing. Based on that I think it's time to break out some of the new races I've purchased.

After that it was my grandson's newish copy of Munchkin: Rick and Morty. I'm not a huge fan of Munchkin but we did agree to play mostly new games and it was his turn to pick. It was OK. I got a very early lead and trounced them both, winning by 5 levels. He was a bit too busy laughing at the cards (he watches the show and the cards very much reflect its dialog and characters) to really pay attention to the game and his sister was playing because we agreed. I'm sure it'll get played again, but I hope it's not too soon.

As I started setting up Blood Rage their mom called for them to "come home for a minute." That was an hour ago. I've read the rule book twice, put all the colored bases on the figures, got the board set up, and typed this. I'm about to check the mail and give 'em a call to see if they're coming back...

...They did and we played Blood Rage. We liked it too. In spite of having read through the rules twice, we had several rules issues, something that seems common in first plays of more complex games, but managed to work through them. This is a beautiful game with some fun mechanics! We chose to not implement the card drafting portion and just played the cards we were dealt. While that mostly worked I think drafting would make a better deck and provide stronger play. In re-reading the rules after our play last night I found several areas we overlooked and just flat played incorrectly. Most will affect scoring and another will make it easier and cheaper to get troops on the board I missed that when a clan or troop upgrade card is played you can then invade with one figure for free, assuming you don't have the max already on the board. That can be pretty significant and leaves more "money" for future turns.

As Sam said, Blood Rage is not one for the 7 year old. She doesn't yet have the chops to handle the heavier strategy and game mechanics, although I'd be quite willing to let her play just to see how she does. I think she might enjoy playing but I know she'd lose horribly. Me playing with/helping her would be the better choice.

I was surprised we didn't get more played in the 8 hours we had, especially since that time didn't include the time they were gone and I'd set up Blood Rage. Still, it was a fun day. I just wish we'd managed to get more games on the table.

Last edited:

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
Hey... I'm not throwing any stones! I don't feel I have enough skill to even make the attempt, especially on something that small! Not only that but I'd be second guessing my color choices all the time I'd be painting.

Race Bannon

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jay
Just now seeing this thread after years of surfing here. I'm a big board gamer and have over 150+ in my collection. I play multiple times a week with different game groups. Sometimes I play heavy war games, sometimes the more popular hobby game releases, and sometimes the family/party, "gateway" type of game.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Hey... I'm not throwing any stones! I don't feel I have enough skill to even make the attempt, especially on something that small! Not only that but I'd be second guessing my color choices all the time I'd be painting.

I'm multiple kinds of color blind (red/green and blue/brown deficient) so I can sympathize. I just go with bright primary colors and mix in a bit of mud to show wear. I will never be a blue ribbon prize winner but I am making stuff that makes ME happy, which is what it's all about!

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
A couple of years ago a coworker asked me about some of the games Amazon had on BF sales. I recommended a few. He purchased Settlers of Catan and *left it on the shelf unopened all this time*!!?! He just mentioned this a couple of days ago saying "It looks hard and confusing so we've not opened it yet." Holy cow!!! So... I'd arranged for the grandkids to go back to the office with me after I picked them up from school today and we were going to teach him how to play. Last minute he had to cancel for a soccer meeting (he works with the local soccer groups as a coach and organizer trying to build interest in this area). Bummer. So we're going to reschedule for one Saturday. I did leave my copy at work so hopefully I can show him some basics before his last day (yeah... he goes to work as Tech Director for a school ~1hr away next week - bummer for us - super for him!). He's going to stay in town (his wife still works for the school here) and commute so getting together for a few games shouldn't be too difficult. I can't believe he's waited this long to say something!

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Did a second playthrough of Champions of Midgard. This time 5 players instead of three, and including the Valhalla expansion.

Two and a half hours of pure fun. I came in 4th outta 5. My strategy was gold rush to get the 4th meeple on the board in round 2 or 3 so that I would be the first of 5 to have all those extra moves. I got crushed. Turns out specialization isn't a winning strategy. Mix it up and be sure to start fighting stuff early and often. I've got other tech purchases in the pipeline but this will be my first purchase when I can spend on boardgames again. Maybe at Pax Unplugged. Hoping that designer / vendor is there!

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
I just saw this - and it's late - and most/all titles are likely to be sold out online with only a few in your local store. So... with that warning I mention that Barnes and Noble is having a clearance sale on some board game titles.

Here's the link: https://www.barnesandnoble.com/b/clearance/strategy-games/_/N-2o4oZ1hil?Nrpp=20&page=1

I picked up Smash Up, Century Spice Road, and Castles of Caladale for just over $54 (to be picked up later today).
upload_2018-9-12_12-18-50.jpeg
81NmwcCxCML._SY879_.jpg

91fSlNTcQZL._SX679_.jpg

I'd never heard of Castles of Caladale before that sale. It's a tile laying game, a mechanic we really like, that looks like it might be a nice, lighter, type game.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
Well... I got my pickup notice and Castles of Caladale was not filled - OOS (although they still showed it available on the site). I double checked when I went in to pick up the order. While I didn't find a copy I was shocked at the variety of quality board games they did have in stock. Many, many popular and highly rated games (at inflated prices of course).

I saw Puerto Rico and got excited until I saw it was OOS and unavailable for local pickup. I'd have absolutely gotten a copy for that ~$11 price! Oh well...

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
I’ve played Smash Up. It’s a decent kids game. Not a favorite, but silly fun.
That's what I was hoping. It looked like something all 3 kids would enjoy and quick enough to give us another choice for those times we only have a half hour or so for a game. For $15 it was worth taking a chance on and looks to have enough variety in the box to make expansions unnecessary.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks