What's new

What sort of Board Games do you Play (1 Viewer)

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
Food is fine. These are games meant to be played not hidden away collecting some dubious value.

Not my table, was at our gaming group's host. We had plenty of room.
I more worry about paper type game parts/cards being ruined/damaged rendering the game unplayable. None of mine are protected with protecting some possible resale value in mind. It's just one of those things that annoy me. My 1972 copy of Mille Bourne has a few cards with damaged corners. You know immediately what card you're pulling when they show up. I'd love to have the vintage replacements (I do have a couple of recent reprints that look the same but the card stock is a bit different) or have had some way to protect the cards a bit (it's seen hundreds of plays over the years). I've just always been somewhat anal about keeping games looking as good as possible even when they get frequent play.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Definitely seems like black washing gets rid of a lot of the flaws. I couldn't see em without a closeup picture but I can spot a few flaws that I would fix next time around. The red was supposed to be a beard, but it looks like blood from munching on a victim, and it spills into the helm =)

Barbarian Executioner Berserker Diablo Miniature Painting
by Sam Posten III, on Flickr

Last edited:

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
Well... that order for "Ascension" truly looks like it was cancelled and not actually shipped - even though it shows to have been... So I'm back to the original conundrum - just which version to get. I'm leaning towards the first one as, from what i understand, the "Apprentice" edition has cards from both it and the first expansion. That means it'll be familiar yet have some newness to it as well.

THEN... I look at "Dominion," one I've looked at before but eliminated as it looked a bit more complex than I thought the kids would tolerate. After watching a Dice Tower review, again, I'm of a different opinion. It looks like it'd have a bit more staying power due to the way it's "customized" with the small decks moving in/out of play. And it's about the same price as one of the base "Ascension" sets.

It essentially comes down to a desire to get more of the kids playing at once. "Ascension Apprentice" is 2 player only unless you add a 2nd deck (which I do have - just in case). But then it seems like you won't truly have enough "center row" cards. Maybe I'm just overthinking it...

Have any of you played "Dominion?" If so, what is your opinion of the game? If you've played both it and "Ascension" which do you prefer and why?

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
I love dominion. My meetup runner has 20+ expansions and an app to decide which ones work best together. I bought the original base used for $12. The first taste is always the cheapest right? :)

Home paint setup is progressing. High recs for the OttLite and Gundam cutting board!
https://www.flickr.com/photos/kadath/43716363822/in/dateposted-public/

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I’ve got dominion and about four expansions. We played a bunch for several years after first getting it. But as it goes with gaming, we don’t play it much now and haven’t bothered with subsequent expansions.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Be sure to check prices against authorized dealers. An FFG game I know was marked $99 regular / $52 sale; except its MSRP price is $59.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
I saw this right before I left for Church this morning but didn't have time to post.

I'll 2nd Dave's comment - also check camelcamelcamel to be sure you're really getting a "good" price. Maybe even check against miniaturemarket.com (a few I looked at are the same/almost the same price there every day and, at least for now, no sales tax for me - of course there's shipping but you can usually offset that by picking up a bargain bin game).

So far I've picked up:

Queendomino (the 7yo has asked about this one every time we've played Kingdomino: "When are you going to buy Queendomino, Pa?")
Ascension (The base/1st game)
The Quest for El Dorado

I have my eye on Palace of Mad King Ludwig, was looking at Castles of Mad King Ludwig but it sold out, and am also considering Lanterns.

I discovered there's an expansion out for King/Queendomino - Age of Giants, which adds a 5th player (tiles and tokens), the "Giant" mechanic, and a very cool tile drawing tower. I'm interested just because of the tile tower.

71ycxULwi3L._SL1500_.jpg

That tower has a magnetic flap and hinges open. You can't see it on this shot but it's fully enclosed with a slot at the bottom of the "back" side from which to pull tiles. It's really cool.

Last edited:

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
Update.

I went ahead and picked up Palace of Mad King Ludwig (a tile laying game - we really like those) and Lanterns (a tile laying, card/set manipulation/collecting mechanic).

I don't know just when we'll get to these. I already have at least 10 (probably more - haven't counted lately) unopened games waiting on our attention. The problem is I love board games and any time I can pick up one that sounds interesting at a "bargain" price, logic and common sense goes out the window.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
I found an image of that "Age of Giants" tower showing the slot:

KingdominoAgeofGiants-Components-1.jpg

You can also see the edge of the hing flap on the left. That part is magnetic and opens the "lid" (at the back - the Giant art in the image I posted earlier) to put the card stack in the back of the tower.

If you draw one of the cards with a "Giant" on it (one is the top tile in this image) you put a Giant meeple on one of your crowns on your board. That negates any points you would have earned from that tile if the giant is still there at game end. Other new tiles have footprints on them. Get one of those and you can give a giant you have to another player. Giant tiles are *always* the lowest number (actually have letters from A-F on them - 6 giant tiles in all). Those tiles you see on the right are part of a set of tiles you shuffle, select two, and use them for end-of-game bonus points instead of the bonus point events in the rule book - everyone uses the same two tiles.

Using the tower is neat. You always pull 5 tiles, no matter how many people are playing, and using specific rules pull 1 or 2 tiles out of the mix depending on player count.

4 players? Pull the middle tile.
3 players? Pull the 2nd and 4th tiles.

You always see all the tiles and know exactly which ones are being removed. I really like this mechanic better than the "Remove X tiles for X players" in the original rules.

Found another really good image showing lots of stuff as well as full opening at the bottom of the tower. I think this one shows everything that comes in the box.

maxresdefault.jpg

**EDIT TO ADD**

Another new image showing the inside of the tile tower:

Kingdomino_AgeOfGiants_DispenserInside.jpg

Last edited:

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
I just saw this on Slickdeals (yes, I shamelessly stole it from them!):

Target has Kingdomino with the Tile Tower - a Target Exclusive - currently on sale for $12.59. Store pickup where available (it's available here!!). I'm getting a copy as I really like and want that tower but don't know if I care about/need the "Giants" expansion part. It's worth the price to me just for the tower.

53322379_Alt01

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
I picked up that "Tower" version yesterday afternoon. $13.09 out the door. I haven't had time to open the box but can say that the "Target Exclusive" and "Bonus! Domino dispenser included" bits on the front of the box are stickers on the plastic outer wrap. The tower is shown and mentioned on the back of the box - printed on like everything else. That all makes me think this may be the new version going forward after a brief period of the "Exclusive" bit for Target.

I love that image of the sheep throwing up its hands on the tower. It reminds me of Shaun the Sheep. :)

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
My grandkids are driving me crazy by *not* playing games lately! All that stuff I ordered in the Amazon sale has arrived and they've not been coming to the house after school (in all fairness my wife has not been feeling well so they've just gone home and done chores their mom has assigned instead) so we've not been playing any games. I'm absolutely itching to play some of these...

Here's the current "Games I've purchased that we've not yet played" list:

Palace of Mad King Ludwig
Lanters: The Harvest Festival
Quest for El Dorado
Queendomino (We've played Kingdomino and they all asked for this one so...)
Ascension (We've played the "Apprentice Edition" but not the full, original, release)
Walled City
Templar's Journey
Treasure Hunter
Isle of Skye
Queen's Architect
Amazonas
Abaddon
Lagoon: Land of Druids
Notre Dame
Alhambra Cardgame (we finally played the board game and it was a hit)
Axis and Allies 1941 (we got started on a play through one night but they had to leave before we got more than a couple of turns in)
Lost Legends
Liguria
Castelli
Blood Rage
Tides of Madness (We've played Tides of Time and really enjoy it)
Black Fleet
Clank! Sunken Treasures (an expansion for Clank! - and we've only played Clank! once!!)
Small Worlds: Underground
Small Worlds: River World
Several race add ons for Small World
Ticket to Ride: Germany
Several map expansions for Ticket to Ride

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
So my copy of Everdell has now been played 4 times, and I've only been in one of the games. It is easily my groups new favorite game of 2018 and I don't see that stopping any time soon.

I also got to play a post campaign game of Charterstone twice this week. All of the stuff is basically spoiled for me, but that hasn't dampened my desire to play a campaign myself. Looks like that might happen soon.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Bob, that's a lot of games!!! :)

We're on a game-buying slowdown. We've got more games than we can play right now, so we're trying to stop buying new ones for the moment.

Also, I mentioned Endeavor recently. Turns out that game is being rebooted! I think it was a Kickstarter to bring it back with some revised rules. I wish I'd known this last year, but so it goes. Fortunately the main rule changes can be used with the original printing I've got. If you don't yet have Endeavor, I recommend you take a look and maybe blind buy when it's available.

https://www.endeavorgame.com

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
Yeah... I get on "kicks" and during sales will purchase several things that sound really interesting. I also have connections with the local comic shop to get some things really inexpensively. They sell some games to me at $5 over their cost (it's really game dependent and how cheaply they can get it) but it's generally 20% over their cost. I go in with a new/updated list every 8-12 weeks and order a few things I've had my eye on or one of the kids thinks sounds good.

It's when I put 'em down on paper that I realize just how many there are and how long it'll take us to get to them. We take spells where we'll play almost every afternoon and their mom (my daughter) will play with us once a week. She's a harder sell on new games as she doesn't want to hear rules and has a "just show me how while we play" attitude. That's hard with some of the more complex games we (the kids and I) like. I'm about ready to just make some "how to" videos and tell her "Watch this while we set things up." They we go into these drought periods where we won't play anything for several weeks. I'm up for a game of some type just about every day and have things from simple 10 minute fillers to 2 hour affairs so there's always something that'll fit the time and mood.

The youngest is *finally* out of the "Candyland" phase of games and can play more complex things, although she's still light on strategy and logic - but that'll come. I push them to play more difficult games as they can handle them and rarely cut them any slack when playing. I use it as a learning experience for them by pointing out where they can improve and what I did in response to their actions that allowed me to win. That strategy paid off with my son (now 36) who typically trounces me when we have the opportunity to play together. While I truly try, and want, to win over the adults (especially my son!), I love it when the kids win! :)

After going on a buying binge I'll usually stop for a while - but I absolutely love board games, always have, and will often purchase something that sounds interesting even if there's no one to play it with. I have a couple of games I purchased over 30 years ago that I've never been able to get anyone to play. Fortunately, one of them has a single play option (a book of patterns you play against) but it's just not as good as it would be playing against someone.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
Bob, that's a lot of games!!! :)

We're on a game-buying slowdown. We've got more games than we can play right now, so we're trying to stop buying new ones for the moment.

Also, I mentioned Endeavor recently. Turns out that game is being rebooted! I think it was a Kickstarter to bring it back with some revised rules. I wish I'd known this last year, but so it goes. Fortunately the main rule changes can be used with the original printing I've got. If you don't yet have Endeavor, I recommend you take a look and maybe blind buy when it's available.

https://www.endeavorgame.com
I thought that one sounded pretty good when you posted it earlier and was disappointed that it was OOP. I'll absolutely be on the lookout for it when it returns. Those images of the udpates really look nice!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OttoIsHere
Recent bookmarks