What's new

What sort of Board Games do you Play (1 Viewer)

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
Played a Monopoly spinoff game called Free Parking; object of it is to get to 200 points by playing cards that represent errands that you use a parking meter for. It's from 1988, and I think it's a pretty good game.

20180704_153608.jpg

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
I formally took up the Boardgaming hobby after PAX Unplugged 2017. I think I backed 10 kickstarters that week. I finally got my first reward, Everdell. The external box is amazingly beautiful. Can’t wait to play!

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
I got introduced to Star Realms tonight. Dug it big time. Ordered!
Which version of Star Realms did you order?

Star Realms (the original)
Colony Wars (the stand-alone expansion that also works with the original game)
Frontiers (OK... this one is new and hasn't seen wide released [Kickstarter only at this point] but is coming in early September - I'll likely pick up a copy)

And I have to throw in a recommendation to pick up the "Mini expansions." These are 12 card packs that either add ships and bases, or cards that impact everyone, or change game play. We've not yet played with the "Heroes," "Missions," either of the "Gambit" packs, or "Events" but have added the packs with the extra ships and bases (there are 5 of those). Some of those ships are very cool, powerful, and inexpensive. Some add multi-faction cards which can really change strategy.

My grandaughter (age 11) and I play this one frequently. She really likes the deck builders and so do I. If MtG were like this - a fully playable deck with just a few additions, I'd likely still be playing. I gave up on it as it's quite expensive to stay "current" with the game. Games like "Star Realms" or "Ascension" (another my granddaughter likes) are more attractive to me as they have stand alone base games that are fully playable and quite enjoyable but can be expanded on by adding more cards if you wish.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
This bundle, which they claim can support 4 players:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07119MBK1/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

And a $10 box to put it in cause the guys I play with say the retail box is trash.
Yep - with both Star Realms and Colony Wars you have the necessary player starting deck/cards for up to 4 players.

To have everything (well except for a few promo cards) available you also may want:

https://www.amazon.com/Star-Realms-...14/ref=olp_product_details?_encoding=UTF8&me=

and:

https://www.amazon.com/Star-Realms-...K5/ref=olp_product_details?_encoding=UTF8&me=

I also purchased two of these:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06X16XLWM/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

But it's apparently OOP (and expensive). I got mine for ~$17/each which was worth the 2nd purchase just for the included sleeves (what's included in that box costs more separately so makes the box and extra promo cards "free"). What's in a single box isn't enough for both sets and all the mini expansions.

Have you ever played 4 player?

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
Yeah... that's the main 4 player version. There are a couple of other play methods/scenarios outlined in the rules but at the end of the day it's more a 1 on 1 game, which the 2 on 2 player variant essentially replicates. I think one of the variants has a "king of the hill" type player with the other 3 trying to take him down. We've not done any of those as it's normally the 2 older grandkids and me playing so we just do the 2 player game when this one comes out. The youngest (age 7) is still a bit too young, strategy wise, for these games. She also frequently plays the "I can't read that well" (sure.... I believe you... your teacher says you're one of the top readers in the class) card if a game will make her think "too hard." I'm guessing we'll (or I) will try to get her involved in some of these card drafting games before too long.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I mentioned Endeavor. here's a photo. A pity it's out of print. It's a nice 5-player Euro. It has good tensions between the economic tracks suggesting multiple paths to victory...or losing. My only gripe is it doesn't have "blue" as a player, bringing in "purple" instead, which is a bit baffling. :)
IMG_0995.jpg

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
View attachment 48005 We got Everdell to the table yesterday. It is complex, beautiful, challenging and super fun!!!
Looks like you need a slightly larger table...

I'm still trying to get over there being *food* on the table - greasy snack type stuff!!!:eek: But then I also play mostly with kids ages 7-15 so food and drink are pretty much banned from the table to make sure games don't suffer food disaster damage. When I play with adults such things aren't normally warranted (although I do have a 30ish nephew who just can't contain himself and is just as likely as the 7yo, if not more so, to flail an arm about and knock over a drink or scatter a plate of chips/snacks).

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
I mentioned Endeavor. here's a photo. A pity it's out of print. It's a nice 5-player Euro. It has good tensions between the economic tracks suggesting multiple paths to victory...or losing. My only gripe is it doesn't have "blue" as a player, bringing in "purple" instead, which is a bit baffling. :)
View attachment 48023
I looked that one up when you first mentioned it and found it to be OOP and a bit pricey... bummer... but then I saw it's a 3 player minimum game, a variety I try to avoid ever since a kid and we could never get 3 people to play "Clue." I think the copy my sister and I had (still at mom's house - 50 years later) has seen a dozen or two, tops, plays.

So... That's also a good thing as I truly have enough, for now. Even the 7yo mentioned the other day "Gee Paw... don't you think we have enough games?" and threw in a comment about the number of unopened ones in the piles. That's only happened because we hit one of our lulls in game playing. When we pick up again those'll all get opened and played. I think she's been listening to grandma, who won't play anything but "standard" US board/card games.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
My oldest granddaughter and I played "Alhambra" yesterday. It was quite fun and she really liked it. We tried to get her brother to play but he was too busy playing some "finger jerk" game on his phone. It has a nice 2 player game with a methodology that pulls tiles from the game to mess with scoring. You have a "ghost" player who gets 6 random tiles at specific points in the game. Those groupings count towards "ghost" player scoring and can prevent a real player getting top points for a section. The hardest thing we had to overcome was that automatic "pull the next card/tile" response as soon as one was picked up/purchased. Those slots aren't filled until a player's turn is completed in full and certain mechanics can allow additional, full, turns before a player is completely done. I really want my grandson to play as I think he'd like it.

We also played a round of "Ascension" - a game at which she excels. She beat me by ~10 points. Every time we play that one I comment that I'd like to get more cards/sets but somehow never do!
I cured that "Ascension" fever... A couple of days back a Amazon MP vendor had the "Year 3 Collector's Edition" box for ~$31 - shipped!! Of course I ordered a copy. It includes "Ascension: Rise of Vigil," "Ascension: Darkness Unleashed," and the entire 3rd year of promo cards and the "playdek promo pack" (whatever that is...). All cards are foil, it has a nice hinged tin box, and includes a foil game board and an honor token bag along with the nicer plastic tokens (The one we have is paperboard tokens). "Rise of the Vigil" normally sells for about that much by itself. There's a new play mechanic in this edition that sounds pretty good. I'm just excited for more cards, the board (not like you really need one but it looks nice), and the upgraded honor tokens. This one also supports 6 players out of the box. Unlike "Star Realms," a 3 or 4 player game is identical to the 2 player one so we won't have to change strategy or game play, just wait longer and see that cool card be purchased long before it's your turn! :)

**EDIT - UPDATE**
Well... I may not get it after all. Around noon I got an email from Amazon saying the order has been cancelled by the vendor - but the order status shows it's shipped, and has shown this since early morning. I've nothing from the vendor one way or the other.

Last edited:

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Food is fine. These are games meant to be played not hidden away collecting some dubious value.

Not my table, was at our gaming group's host. We had plenty of room.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks