1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

What sort of Board Games do you Play

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Northgun, Sep 16, 2013.

1. Aaron Silverman

Aaron Silverman Executive Producer

Aaron Silverman
    I had the same problem with Ricochet Robot. Eventually, I got rusty from lack of playing and lost my advantage.

Wrong thread! :)

Stan likes this.
  2. Stan

Stan Producer

I know, but semi-related, so thought it would be okay :rolleyes:

3. 223 Nov 19, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 19, 2017
    Sam Posten

Sam Posten Moderator

Sam Posten
    Junta is a cutthroat dictatorship emulator :)

So, I’m at Pax Unplugged with friends who are way bigger board gamers than me. It’s like drinking from a fire hose. Guess I am a board gamer now!

[​IMG]
    Pax haul
    by Sam Posten III, on Flickr

Dave Upton likes this.
  4. 224 Nov 19, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 19, 2017
    DaveF

DaveF Moderator

Dave
    That’s a bit of a delay on responding to that question, Sam! :laugh:

I’ve played Zombicide a few times this year...not my thing. But there are people who are super into it, and paint their miniatures, etc. More power to ‘em. :)

I played Colt Express last weekend. It was the 2014(?) Spiehl de Jahr winner. It looks complicated and weird. But in play it was simple and fast. And it plays up to six! That’s on the Holiday wishlist now. I’m always looking for good games that play 5+.

Playing a lot of 7 Wonders: everyone knows it, and it plays 8 people in about an hour.

On that note, I bought 7 Wonders Duel as new two player for me and her. It’s a recommended if you’re looking for middle weight, easy to play two player game.

My wife found there’s a new Dixit card set, so that will be bought when it’s available here in the States. The last expansion, with a few fancy cards embossed with “gold” leaf, are really nice.

Sam Posten likes this.
  5. Rodney

Rodney Screenwriter
    Supporter

Colt Express sounds like fun, I may need to check that out.

My biggest issue is finding the availability to get together and settle on a board game to play. I remember my younger days when we had plenty of time to play Junta, Tactics II, 221B Baker Street, Luftwaffe, etc.

Last game I played was over a year ago, where we had a fun time playing "Exploding Kittens".

Sam Posten likes this.
  6. DaveF

DaveF Moderator

Dave
    Colt express could be a good game for kids too: you physically move your robbers up and down and back and forth along the train. it's a bit fussy for big fumbly fingers, but makes for a neat way to viscerally implement the game rules.

As for time: we play every other Saturday at the local library through a gaming meetup. It's part of our regular social activities. :)

Sam Posten likes this.
  7. Sam Posten

Sam Posten Moderator

Sam Posten
    Rodney and DaveF like this.
  8. Carabimero

Carabimero Producer
    Supporter

Alan
    All time favorite board game (with sinking board!)

Forbidden-island.jpg

Newest board game, liking it so far...Star Trek Road Trip!
    71cuP1y7T7L._SY355_.jpg

Rodney likes this.
  9. Sam Posten

Sam Posten Moderator

Sam Posten
  10. Sam Posten

Sam Posten Moderator

Sam Posten
  11. 231 Nov 20, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 20, 2017
    Dave Upton

Dave Upton Audiophile
    Owner

Dave Upton
    Tsuro is fun - we play it fairly often. One of my new favorites that some gamer friends introduced me to is Betrayal at House on the Hill

Truly hilarious and a neat survival meets clue playstyle that only takes 2 hours at most with learning curve.

http://amzn.to/2z984VD

Sam Posten likes this.
  12. DaveF

DaveF Moderator

Dave
    That link just goes to the user's amazon recco page; not to a specific product page :)

13. Dave Upton

Dave Upton Audiophile
    Owner

Dave Upton
    Fixed, I think

DaveF likes this.
  14. BobO'Link

BobO'Link Producer

Howie
    I enjoyed Forbidden Island the couple of times my son, a couple of the grandkids, and I played last Christmas. I've not been able to get the grandkids to play again though. They didn't like the coop aspect. I think the play mechanism kind of threw them a bit.

My son recommended Tsuro so I watched some gameplay videos and, liking what I saw, did some research and almost picked up Tsuro of the Seas instead. Then I found it's a modification/simplification of Iron Horse/Metro and that there's a new implementation of that one now called San Francisco Cable Car so picked it up instead. We (the grandkids and I) really like that one, even the 6 year old. I may still pick one of the implementations of Tsuro as it looks different enough and also offers a shorter playing time, something we frequently need. I think we'd like it.

I took the week off to stay home with the grandkids, who are on Thanksgiving break, and play games. The past two days saw us play:

Castles of Burgundy. I picked this up almost a year ago and we finally made time to learn it. It was a hit and will be played again.

Mighty Monsters. All 3 grandkids like this one as it's quick and easy. They usually get into an argument over wanting to "battle on my own" (especially the 6 year old) but it's always good for a few plays.

Munchkin. The older 2 (ages 11 & 14) really like this one. The 6 year old can't read quite well enough to play on her own so she helps me.

Magic the Gathering. We don't keep up, buy boosters regularly, or play tournaments, but enjoy casual play amongst ourselves. I started playing way back when 4th Edition was the current main system and kept current for a few years. I have hundreds of cards with a dozen or so customized decks. When my grandson picked up a few deckbuilder sets to try the game I purchased some of the more recent pre-built decks to get a good mix of cards and take advantage of not having to put any work into playing for fun. That worked pretty well. The 11 year old doesn't much care for the game but after winning a game against her brother yesterday using one of those pre-built decks she's gained a new appreciation.

Ascension (the Apprentice Edition). The oldest granddaughter likes this one really well. I do too. I'll likely purchase at least an expansion or two for this one. I initially purchased the Apprentice Edition to give it a try because it's inexpensive (~$6) and we all really like:

Star Realms. This is a top favorite. My oldest granddaughter selects it often and does really well building her deck. I like the drafting mechanism for deck building (my favorite Magic play format is drafting), the gameplay is fun, and it plays quickly. The cards look very good. The included scoring mechanism is a bit clunky but it works and it's also easy to just use a few D20s instead.

Stratego. Yep, the old capture the flag game. Another favorite of my oldest granddaughter. We have the 50th Anniversary edition with the Cannon addition.

Tally Ho. Another favorite of all the grandkids, especially the 6 year old. It's easy to play, colorful, and plays fairly quickly.

We're hoping to get in at least one new game tomorrow. Right now, the unopened pile includes Liguria, Castelli, Agricola (one I really want to get in), Lost Legends, Catan Seafarers (my grandson really wants to play this one), and Ticket to Ride: Rails and Sails (the board for this one is *huge*!).

Sam Posten likes this.
  15. Sam Posten

Sam Posten Moderator

Sam Posten
    Dave, please see the link I put above your post, (and below here). They are making an awesome 'legacy' version of Betrayal.
    https://www.shutupandsitdown.com/games-news-201117/

16. DaveF

DaveF Moderator

Dave
    I highly recommend the iPad version of Ticket to Ride. It has all the maps, I think. Multiplayer works great and saves all the fuss of setting up and putting away a zillion plastic trains and cards.

Sam Posten likes this.
  17. Sam Posten

Sam Posten Moderator

Sam Posten
    There’s an iPhone version called first journey now too.

18. DaveF

DaveF Moderator

Dave
    Ticket to Ride: First Journey: All aboard an epic cross-country trip! https://itunes.apple.com/us/story/id1309333009

TTR is universal, iPhone and iPad.
    First Journey is a new kids version of Ticket to Ride, akin to Catan Junior. It’s also for iPhone and iPad. :)

Sam Posten likes this.
  19. Sam Posten

Sam Posten Moderator

Sam Posten
    Link that one too if you can please!

20. DaveF

DaveF Moderator

Dave