What's new

What sort of Board Games do you Play (2 Viewers)

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I've been playing 7 Wonders and Dixit lately. We go to a gaming Meetup twice a month at a local library. Often we've got 6-8 people for a game, and 7 Wonders works well and is a pretty fast good to boot. And Dixit is a nice time filler, easy to play, and allows almost arbitrary numbers of people.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
Good stuff. I recently played 7 Wonders: Duel and it was a very solid 2-player implementation. It's basically the same, but instead of passing hands of cards back and forth, you take turns drafting cards from a layout on the table where some of the cards are visible from the get-go and others remain face-down until cards ahead of them are taken.

Yee-Ming

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Yee Ming Lim
I recently acquired Dark Moon (formerly known as BSG Express, when it was still a print-n-play). Nice hidden traitor game.

Separately, for some inexplicable reason I've suddenly gone gung-ho on Kickstarter and backed a number of games. Anyone here have prior experiences on KS when it comes to games, good or bad?

Northgun

Second Unit
Real Name
Jacob
I've done quite a bit of research on using KS to launch a boardgame since I like to design games as a hobby. I talk with folks on another forum about it as well, but have not backed any personally yet. KS has proven to be a great way for small time designers to get off the ground and get their game out there. Boardgames are surprisingly popular on there at the moment, I hope this trend continues :)

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
Oh, I was a madman on KS for a while. I got burned on the Up Front debacle, and have two outstanding projects from a while back that may or may not ever come to fruition, but mostly have done alright. I am a lot pickier than I used to be, though.

Currently debating Days of Ire: Budapest 1956, which ends soon. It looks really interesting.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I've been trying to get a bead on Machi Koro this year. I'd played it about three times and had really mixed experiences. The game concept is the sort that I should really like: simple economic engine builder. But the gameplay was erratic, once smooth and fine, and twice painfully slow and tedious.

Playing Machi Koro with The Harbor Expansion, the answer to fun lies with the user-created 5,5,2 setup.
https://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/1315037/3-draw-pile-variantpacing-improved/page/1

This is a game I look forward to playing more!

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
Machi Koro is OK, but it experienced this odd mega-popularity that lasted about a month. I hear the Harbor expansion is essential.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I've really only played it with Harbor, so can't speak to the base game. There's a new expansion out, Millionaire Row, I think.

Yee-Ming

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Yee Ming Lim
Oh, I was a madman on KS for a while. I got burned on the Up Front debacle, and have two outstanding projects from a while back that may or may not ever come to fruition, but mostly have done alright. I am a lot pickier than I used to be, though.

Would that have been a reprint of the old Avalon Hill Up Front? I never did get that (during AH's original existence), even though I did play (and still have) Squad Leader.

I've also gone a little stir-crazy on KS, have about six pending… :eek:

What makes it even riskier for me is shipping costs are often pretty high too, and if these are also charged up front, the outlay and risk I have to take is higher than a US backer. Oh well, nothing venture nothing gain. Interestingly there is a local branch of Meetup where people try to pool an order to save on the shipping. Which brings its own set of risk: how trustworthy is the organiser? :unsure:

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
Yes, it was a mega-remake of the old AH classic, with about a dozen nationalities and updated components and rules. It raised nearly $350,000 (which at the time was MASSIVE for a boardgame project). Long story short, the guy who ran the campaign was successfully sued for a similar amount of money (which he owed to someone for a previous business loan) and absconded to Australia. :(

Here's a thread about it in case you have five minutes to spare (there are only 15,000 replies):

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/956591/yes-what-does-mean-front

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Had friends over for games yesterday. Played Sushi Go Party Edition. If you like Sushi Go and want more variety or a way to play with 8 people, Party Edition is worth looking into.

Yee-Ming

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Yee Ming Lim
Been a while since I checked this thread -- and looks like it's been a while for everyone…

Recent acquisitions/games played: Firefly, One Night Ultimate Werewolf, Hanabi, Thin Ice (a fulfilled KS!), Terraforming Mars and more...

This being HTF, there must be fans of Firefly/Serenity here? The game is brilliantly soaked in its theme of the movie, and well worth looking at for any fan of the TV show/movie and who plays games. The game even inspired me to re-watch the series, and I'm having a blast both simply re-watching, and catching the references in the game.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
I hear the Firefly game is good, but haven't had a chance to try it yet.

I've played a few new things lately, but nothing that really stood out. Seafall is certainly interesting, though. I've only played the prologue; I hear it gets good after a few games.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
While my wife watches Gilmore Girls with friends, I'm playing Star Wars Armada with husband of one of the friends.

He's been buying expansion ships to round out his fleet. I've not bought any expansions yet, so I'm getting hard pressed to provide a good counter with only a pair of Core-Set Imperial Star Destroyers. I'll do my best today. And then come back at him next year with some expansions of my own. :)

Race Bannon

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jay
This holiday week, me and the family have played:

Ticket to Ride
Settlers from Catan
Telestrations
Looney Quest
Timeline
Risk

I want to get Sushi Go Party, King of Tokyo, and Sheriff of Nottingham. Might get a Scythe set when more come out.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Sushi Go Party is a good one. And Timeline is a nice little game. I've played Scythe once, and it's a couple of steps up in complexity from Ticket to Ride and Settlers of Catan.

I highly recommend 7 Wonders and Dixit to round out gaming fun, and to accommodate five to eight players (like Sushi Go does). And Dixit is a more creative game, which can be a nice change of pace after a few hours of conventional gaming.

And for a quickie, to end a gaming day, No Thanks is a great one.

Race Bannon

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jay
Great suggestions. I picked up Sushi Go Party, King of Tokyo, and Sheriff of Nottingham at Black Friday sales. I will probably get all the ones you mentioned.

I'm kicking myself because Codenames was on sale at Amazon for $6.99 (!) yesterday, and before I could get somewhere and order it, it was up to over $14 again.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks