What software to burn CD's?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Rob Varto, Jan 24, 2002.

1. Rob Varto

Rob Varto Supporting Actor

What software does everyone use to burn CD's in Win XP? I have an older version of Adaptec's EZ CD Creator, but Win XP prompted me with some "compatability issues" when I re-installed it. I thought Win XP made for easy CD recording and coverting to .wav files?

2. Camp

Camp Cinematographer

I use Nero over EZ CD Creator. It has better tools for recording music.

I would like to know if there is software better suited for audio burning (specifically from a sound quality standpoint).

3. Scott Dautel

Scott Dautel Second Unit

Rob:
    Just started up my new Win XP computer last night. The standard today for burning CD's of all media types is Roxio Easy CD Creator 5. Last year Roxio bought out Adaptec and updated all their software. I learned the hard way that even if you had the old Adaptec software, you have to purchase the new Roxio upgrade for Win 2000 & Win XP.
    I saw it on sale last night at CompUSA for $50.
    Scott

4. Robert Houghton

As of now the newsgroups are filled with horror stories about XP and Easy Creator. There are issues that have not yet been addresed. I believe that Nero is the better of the two right now.

Bob H.

5. Darren Lewis

Darren Lewis Supporting Actor

6. Thom B

Thom B Stunt Coordinator

I've used both Nero on XP(~30 discs) and XP's built in burning capabilities(~10 discs), and have been reasonably happy with both in the sense of quality. No coasters from either, and the burns have been clean. As you can see from the numbers I use Nero more frequently. This is due more to preference for the interface than any other factor.

T

7. SamN

SamN Agent

I know this isn't a poll, but I would go with Nero over Roxio any day. You will have a lot less frustrations, and it takes up less HD space and system resources while running.

8. Bill Balcziak

Bill Balcziak Supporting Actor

Roxio lost me as a customer with their ham-fisted transition to XP. It was--and still is--a horrible, bungled mess, and, figuring I had nothing to lose, I switched to NERO.

Frankly, NERO is a stable, cheap, and more robust alternative to ECDC and now I recommend it to everybody.

(Note to software companies: Roxio's amateurish handling of the XP rollout is a textbook example of how to lose a loyal customer. The fact that their product still ships without XP support boggles the mind.

9. Luis Esp

Luis Esp Supporting Actor

Every time I've downloaded the sample demo of Nero, my dvd and cdrw drives could not be read. I'm running Xp and would love to try out Nero. Any feedback would be welcomed.

10. Andrew Pratt

Andrew Pratt Producer

IMO Roxio is nasty buggy software. Chances are if you have easy CD installed and try to remove it it will also take with it your registry keys for the CDROM(s) so they will no longer work. There's a fix for it but I've found that it only works on some PC's other are a real pain to get working again. It was never stable for me either esp in windows 2000. It's a shame to because I really liked the interface for EZCD and have yet to find one as easy to use.

Nero is considered by many to be the best available at the moment but the one I use most often is HotBurn. Its simple, bug free and stable in XP. The only thing its missing is the ability to get CD Text info from CDDB you have to type those in manually but I'll deal with that over EZCD's crashing.

11. Greg_Y

Greg_Y Screenwriter

12. Bill Balcziak

Bill Balcziak Supporting Actor

13. NickSo

NickSo Producer

Nick So
    I use Nero for normal files, and for exact RAW images, i prefer DiscJuggler over CloneCD...

14. John Thomas

John Thomas Cinematographer

I've got to vote for Nero as well. To be honest, I've only used Nero, EZCD Creator and Hotburn (software that came with my CDRW). Problems that existed with the other two never occurred with Nero. I'd give it a big [​IMG]

15. Eric Gan

Eric Gan Agent

Has anyone noticed that the volume for audio CDs burned with Nero is much louder than EZCD? I didn't do any kind of editing or normalizing. Just rip into wav and burn.

Eric

16. Rob Gillespie

Rob Gillespie Producer

I've been using Nero for quite some time and I think it's the best actual burning app out there. However, I think the user interface is clumsy and poorly designed. It feels 'cheap', though the actual output results are terrific.

17. Brett_H

Brett_H Second Unit

Guys,
    For those of you that use Nero for burning aidio discs, I'd suggest having a look at this page. Apparently, there is a bug in Nero that causes a small gap to be inserted at the end of every track, which (depending on how sensitive your ears are) could cause a problem.
    Personally, I use Nero for data and Feurio for audio. Feurio is well integrated with NT, unlike Easy CD Creator, it automatically assigns itself a higher thread priority to ensure you don't get a buffer underrun.
    -Brett.

18. Pete Mazz

Pete Mazz Supporting Actor

I'll second Feurio. It is very easy to use and also extremely tweakable if you desire. It will go out to the internet for CDText and burn it automatically if you so choose. I like the fact it uses a large read buffer when going CD to CDR, so even if you've got a disc that has minor imperfections, it can still keep burning from the buffer while it's trying to re-read the disc. It's never yet let me down.

Pete

19. Chris

Chris Lead Actor

Nero for data; CloneCD for copying.

I can't think of the last time I wrote an audio CD.. hell, since I picked up a car stereo that reads MP3 discs, I've never had a reason

20. Greg Conti

Greg Conti Stunt Coordinator