What's new

What software for RTA? (1 Viewer)

Wilson_Jamie

Auditioning
Hi all,

I have just finished building a Tempest sub. And with my rough SPL meter I have concluded that I have some rather nasty peaks and troughs in my loungeroom. So I bought a Behringer 8000 mic and a UB502 preamp in anticipation of a more accurate view of the problems. Oh, also bought a feedback destroyer.

So, what software would be best for my needs? I would like to be able to measure total SPL and also an RTA that goes down below 20hz (8hz would be nice). Anything else I need??

I also can't afford to pay hundreds of dollars for it either. Am I asking too much??

So far I like the look of TrueRTA, for the money. I like the look of Smaartlive, but thats too dear. The ETF5 software is also good, but I use winXP. Also a bit on the expensive side anyhow. The other one I looked at was spectra RTA and associated programs. Not sure what they cost though....

Thanks in advance

Regards
Jamie Wilson

Jud

Grip
I've used TrueRTA for quite a while and love it. I got the $99 version since I wanted 1/24th octave resolution, but that's because I'm obsessed with good bass.

I can't remember of the top of my head how low TrueRTAs display goes, but I'm sure it's lower than 20Hz.

MingL

Stunt Coordinator
I don't really like to use spectrum labs for RTA measurements as they are not as useful as a proper RTA should be.

I recommend spectraplus or TrueRTA, or ETF.

I personally have used spectraplus and ETF, and feel both are very good and complement each other's deficiencies. I remember spectraplus being able to go much lower than you'll ever need.

Wilson_Jamie

Auditioning
OK, thanks guys. I have decided that TrueRTA seems to do what I want, and is reasonably easy to use.

On a side note, can anyone explain the difference between an RTA and a FFT ?

Thanks

Regards
Jamie

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
I also really like ETF. You can use the demo version for free. (I used it to set up the eq for my sub, so I never came close to using it's full abilities, but someday I want to send the dude $50 for what I think I got out of it. :) )

BruceD

Screenwriter
Jamie,

The benefits of the MLS (maximum length sequence) test signals and FFT (Fast Fourier Transforms) used by the ETF5 software is that you get impulse response graphs (that show reflections), frequency response graphs, and 3D waterfall charts (that show ringing frequencies like bass standing waves) among other features.

Lots more functionality than a simple RTA with frequency response graphs.

I find ETF5 essential for good speaker/room measurements.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks