What's new

What Smart home brand is the best to try? (1 Viewer)

Race Bannon

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jay
I've about finished my home theater, and have a Harmony Elite remote. So I'm ready to start in on having some of the other components in the room be more high-tech control -- lights, dimmers, and lamps that are plugged in. There are so many brands and standards for dimmers, switches, and outlets that I can't seem to cut through it.

I mainly just want to pick one that will be well-supported and compatible for years to come. I want to get an Amazon Echo Dot (Alexa) and use voice commands, etc.

Does anyone have a starting suggestion for a brand/standard that would be a pretty conventional pick? I just want to hit it right down the fairway on this.

Alf S

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alfer
Only item(s) I have tried and love are the Belkin WeMo Insight switches. Super easy to set up/use, no extra hubs, or ethernet cables to string around. Just plug and play for the most part.

Scotthndrx

Auditioning
Real Name
Scott hendrix
I have the Echo, 3 to be exact. I also have 3 of the wemo switches and about 20 or so of the Phillips Hue lights as well as the Harmony Hub, all of which are controlled by the Echo. I can walk in the door and tell the Echo to turn on comcast, fire tv or xbox and by the time I make it to my basement, the projector, receiver and device are on. The lights in the room are set to a predetermined level and color as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks