What size weatherstripping for use in Toshiba screen removal?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Patrick G, Mar 6, 2002.

1. Patrick G

Patrick G Second Unit

I'm removing the screen on my Toshiba 57HX81, and I can't find ANY 1/16" paneling, so I picked up some 1/8" paneling in 1/2" strips. Will this work? If not, will high density foam weatherstripping work? If so, what size (width and thickness) should I use?

2. GaryP

GaryP Second Unit

Patrick,
    I would try to stay away from the weatherstripping if possible, because if you don't like the results then you are left with the burden of peeling it back off, and who needs that headache?
    Really, I don't see why 1/8" wouldn't do the trick. The only effect I can foresee is that the rails will sit a little higher (1/16 of an inch to be exact [​IMG] ). I doubt that would cause any real problems. I say give it a shot, just be careful when tightening the screws back down, as they wont draw down quite as far, and you definitely don't want to strip out any of the holes.
    On a side note, if you're not happy with the 1/8" I still vote for a simple restack over the stripping. Just a personal preference however.
    Hope you can work something out,
    Gary

3. Patrick G

Patrick G Second Unit

Does the paneling need to be adhered to the frame at all, or do I only need lay it in there?

4. GaryP

GaryP Second Unit

Patrick,
    I would just lay it in there, the rails should hold it in place nice and tight. I would put the screens in first, up against the bezel (frame), then the paneling, then the rails. If you were to do a restack you would move the glare screen to the back of the stack, just put the paneling there in it's place.
    More sidenotes just in case you haven't come across these:
    Stack some magazines on your work area, then maybe a clean sheet or other fairly lint free material over the magazines. Then set the screen face down over the sheet. This helps eliminate lenticular sag while reassembling your screen. For your screen size (57") about 16 Playboy's double stacked in two rows of 4 would work nicely [​IMG]. Really any thick mag should do the trick, Playmates are just icing on the cake.
    Gary

5. Patrick G

Patrick G Second Unit

Gary, you da man. Thanks!

6. GaryP

GaryP Second Unit

Alright Patrick,
    It's been three days since your last message, are you just going to leave me hangin' or what? Did you have any luck with the screen removal or did you back out at the last second with cold feet, leaving the beloved hx81 standing at the altar? [​IMG] Feel free to enlighten me at your earliest convenience.
    Gary

7. Patrick G

Patrick G Second Unit

Gary, I've had the TV 2 weeks now, and I've been leaving it on almost 24/7 to get to my 100 hours burn-in time. I've been waiting for spring break, which starts tomorrow (Monday) to begin the entire process. I've got strips of paneling, with weatherstripping as a backup, duvatyne, Avia, and the CA-1 colorimeter all ready to go tomorrow morning. I'll report back on Tuesday or Wednesday.

8. jeff peterson

jeff peterson Supporting Actor

Ok, I've got a 50h81 scheduled for delivery tomorrow. Is the consensus to REMOVE the protective (aka glare) screen rather than restacking it? If so, how/where is everyone storing the thing?

9. Patrick G

Patrick G Second Unit

Yes, remove it for best results. My last TV, the Toshiba TW40X81, I just removed it and threw it in the garbage. This time, I'll probably wrap in a sheet and place it under my bed. I'll probably put it back in when I sell it in a year or year-and-a-half.

10. GaryP

GaryP Second Unit

Patrick,
    I just finished replying to your E Mail, lets hope all goes well and you can get that screen removed, because with a little teakage, you will have one awesome picture.
    ...And what is this "selling in a year or so" nonsense [​IMG]
    Jeff
    Although Patrick (and quite a few others) prefer a complete removal of the screen, I (and others as well [​IMG] ) feel that a simple restack is sufficient. Here's my take: Try a restack first, if you don't like the results, go for the removal.
    I'm out,
    Gary