What Size TV should I get, for 8ft sitting distance??

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Bolivar G, Aug 9, 2002.

1. Bolivar G

Bolivar G Second Unit

Hey all,
    I'm looking to buy a WS HDTV within the next couple weeks.
    I want this TV to look the best for DVD movies. I have the Kenwood Sovereign DV-5900M 400+ DVD player.

I only have a 8ft sitting distance, so Im wondering what is the max size TV I can get for that distance that will still look awesome. One of the TV's im considering buying is the Sony 51" WS KP-51HW40. Is this TV to big for that distance??
    All input and advise is much appreciated.

Thank you
    George

2. Steve Schaffer

Steve Schaffer Producer

I sit 13 feet back from a 57" KP57HW40, and honestly think I could have gone up to a 65" model. I don't think you'd have any problem at 8 feet from a 51" set, but would hesitate to go any larger.

3. Bolivar G

Bolivar G Second Unit

Yea I wasnt planning on going any larger.
    I was hoping I could squeeze this 51" at 8ft.
    ANyone running a set up close to this can tell me how it looks?

4. Josh Lowe

Josh Lowe Screenwriter

I sit 7' from a 53" 16:9 and it's perfect.

5. Jim Lenneman

Jim Lenneman Stunt Coordinator

Bolivar,

Currently sitting 7.5' from my new 51" Sony 16x9, looks great. I could have gotten the 57" and it would still have been fine. I think it might be more of a question of how good your regular TV sources are. DVD will look great regardless. Crappy cable signals will look progressivly worse the larger you go. Thankfully my cable signal is about as good as you could hope for.

Jim L

6. JimC_A

JimC_A Stunt Coordinator

I am 9ft away from my 50H82. I couldn't be happier with the tv or the distance. Well, that's a lie, I could be happier if all my channels were HD like HD HBO.

7. Bolivar G

Bolivar G Second Unit

My video source will be mainly Kenwood Sovereign DV-5900M 400+3 DVD changer with proggresive scan and the Faroudja chip. I'm currently only using a 32" Sony TV with S-video only. The picture look great , I want to move up to HDTV so I can use the progressive scan of my player and see how much more the picture will improve!! Hard to image will look better!

And thank you all for the responses. Think I'll pick up the Sony 51" WS hdtv. will this TV work out nicely for my player and DVD movies 90% of the time (dont watch much reguler TV)??

8. Steve Schaffer

Steve Schaffer Producer

My set is the 57" version of that one, with a JVC progressive scan player. I couldn't be happier with picture quality when watching dvd. My cable is mediocre so it isn't pretty, but satellite and over the air analog via antenna looks very nice.

If 90% of your use is going to be dvd, the KP51HW40 is an excellent choice.