What's new

What size PSU (1 Viewer)

PhillJones

Second Unit
If I want to build a new PC, how do I know how big a PSU I need?

I thought I could just check manufacturers web sites for power demands so I went to ati but couldn't find it.

I don't want to build a PC and it not work or build one that's noisier that it need be.

It's an HTPC BTW. I'm thinking it'll have Radeon ati 9600, Audigy 2 soundcard, PDI capture card, DVD-RW, front panel sard reader for CF, memory stick etc, at least 200Gb hard drive, possibly maxtor, as I've heard they're good but still not looked into that very much. I might install a second DVD-rom drive just for watching lord of the rings without having to get up.

Cheers,
Phill

Travis Olson

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Travis Olson
I'd go with a 350-400 watt Antec or Enermax for that setup. Do not get a cheap brand, seriously, you'll thank yourself.

PhillJones

Second Unit
Thanks for the recomendations but does anybody know how to find out what size of PSU for a given set of componants?

Cheers,
Phill

Mike Fassler

Supporting Actor
yes add up all the wattage fropm yer components thats the minimum you'll need :) just go with a quality 350w psu from antec or enermax and you will be fine with that setup.

Mike_J_Potter

Second Unit
A 350 or 400 will be fine, I would probably reccomend the 400 watt if you plan to go with a higher end proccessor (especially amds) I wouldn't bother with a website to calculate it, they are usually very conservative on their estimates of power usage for a PC. Just good get a good name brand power supply, avoid the off brands, especially the kinds you find at those computer shows/sales. I know a guy who has gone through probably 5 of them before he got fed up and bought a antec.

Erik*R

Agent
Also a good way to measure the quality of the PSU is by the weight. The better ones all feel hefty while the cheapo PSUs are all lightweight.

ENERMAX or THERMALTAKE or ANTEC
are the better ones that I would always recommend.
I personally only use ANTECs.

for an AVERAGE Computer I would recommend around 400 to 450W
for a power user/gamer with multiple HDs/Opticals id go 500-550W.

PhillJones

Second Unit
Thanks everybody I think I may got for

http://www.silentpcreview.com/article90-page1.html

I'll use it with an antec Overture case, cause I reckon it looks nice. Unless anybody has any dire warnings of disaster for me.

Do you think it's possible to use a Radeon 9600 with a fanless heatpipe from Zalman and a Zalman fanless CPU cooling solution and so use no fans whatsoever and get away with it? Seems too good to be true.

Cheers,
Phill

PhillJones

Second Unit
Scrath that, or at least the bit about the Overture Case. On closer inspection it looks like the case and PSU wouldn't work together.

Does anybody have aqny experienc mounting this PSU on its side? The review implies that putting the curcuit board under the heatsink is to take advantage of convection but if the unit was mounted on its side, for example in a silverstone case, then I'd loose that effect and possibly overheat the PSU.

Cheers,
Phill

Gabriel_Lam

Screenwriter
The Overture comes with a pretty good 380w Antec power supply. It's definitely one of the quieter ones on the market.

My personal suggestion would be to flip the fan around on the Overture's PS so that it blows outwards. Then, use the fan behind the processor as an intake. This definitely lowered my temperatures.

Here's what I did (click on picture for bigger picture):

[url=http://www.gotapex.com/images/apex/theater/htpc/overture_htpc1_s.jpg] [/url]

[url=http://www.gotapex.com/images/apex/theater/htpc/overture_htpc2_s.jpg] [/url]

PhillJones

Second Unit
That's very cool Gabriel and that's certainly a possibility if my idea deosn't work the way I expect it to. The reason I want to go with the fanless PSU is that it's fanless and therefore silent. No noise is very important to me.

Chester II

Stunt Coordinator
Dudes,

You guys are all insane (and I mean that in a friendly slap you on the back sort of way) My htpc ....a shuttle 51 something or other plays dvds....has a 2.4 P4 processor...Sony DVD burner...Radeon 9700 pro..Seagate Barracuda 120 gb hd.....m-audio usb card....etc....and guess what?

200 WATT POWER SUPPLY ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! !

This system has been rock-solid...completely stable

In my humble opinion....300 watts is already overkill for the average user...there's nothing wrong with buying a large power supply but I think the priority should be as follows:

Stability
noise level
heat output
wattage
price
does it glow blue when the lights are turned off

Dudes,

Chester

PhillJones

Second Unit
I've read that people overspec their power supply, partly because of the marketing for power-supplies but I used to have a 200W power supply in PC that had 2 HDs and 2 CD-Rom drives and was full of expansion cards because the mobo had nothing in-built and it kept crashing. So, perhaps 300W is a safe way to go.

What I want is a totally fanless supply, I chose the 350W supply cause it's 'sposed to be good and it's fanless, not becasue I thought I might need 350W.

My only concern is that it may need to be mounted the right way up. I can't seem to get any info out of the manufacturers on this.

Phill

Chester II

Stunt Coordinator
Mike Dude,

Wow....how'd you know ! ! ! ! ;)

Actually, Shuttle is now offering a 250 watt power supply that's the same tiny size (and very low noise) as my current 200 watt psu in case I ever get the urge to add on tons of stuff but....I doubt it...

Phil Dude,

I put the Zalman fanless heatpipe on my Radeon 9700 pro and it works GREAT....NO NOISE ! !! If you go with a 9800 then Zalman recommends a small fan so you should have no problems.The loudest items in my system are now the ONE fan that cools the cpu via the i.c.e. cooling system and the harddrive......I no longer have "sound" issues with my computer but yes, I hear it when I listen for it.....

Dudes,

Chester

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks