What's new

What size of Sub would you recommend ? (1 Viewer)

Howard Bau

Auditioning
I recently re-arranged my room where my Home Theater system is set-up. I have an AR 15" sub, which now is on one side of the listen area and because of that, I have imaging problems. Unfortunately, due to its size, that is the only place it can be placed. To remedy the situation, I plan to replace it with two smaller subs on each side of the TV. Which would be the better route to go two 8", two 10", or two 12" subs ?. Another 15" would be absolutely overkill. The room is approximately 16' x 20' with a vaulted ceiling.

WayneO

Supporting Actor
In GENERAL, the bigger the size of the sub, the better it can perform. It's hard to say what would be best though, as one company's sub at 10" may clearly be better than another's 12". Got some brand ideas? With that said, get the biggest subs you can fit on both sides if you want to get the most bass for your space limitations.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
You should not have imaging problems with a sub. Bass is non-directional, and unless you have phase issues between the sub and your mains, your sub is not causing the problem. Your sub should have a phase switch, try it in another (only two?) position and stick with the one that sounds best.

Have you calibrated with an SPL meter? How do you have your crossover adjusted?

Two subs on opposite sides may actually make your problem worse, and you will definitely have to carefully calibrate them.

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
If you’re localizing the sound from your sub (I’m sure that’s what you’re referring to, not “imaging”) That means the crossover is set to high, or the slope of the filter is not steep enough.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Howard Bau

Auditioning
I believe that I used an incorrect term "Imaging" to describe the perception that sound is emanating from one localized postion. I will try changing the cross over
frequency to see if this will eliminate the problem.
Thanks for your help

Johnny Ayala

Stunt Coordinator
Try looking into the Bob Carver True-Sub MKIV. It's only an 11" cube. Should take care of your space problems. Good Luck
htf_images_smilies_popcorn.gif

JackLonn

Agent
In case you're skeptical (I was) I have to agree that bass (correctly set up) is non-directional. I went for years with my Klipsch SW12 in a front corner. I just received my PB2+ and have temporarily set it behind my listening position. I can't tell where the bass is coming from. All I know is IT'S THERE. Long live SVS! Sorry couldn't resist that. My wife is the one that wanted to "feel the bass". Last night she was in bed at the other end of the house while I watched Monsters Inc and she could feel it! Love that sub.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks