What size/gain screen for NEC LT150?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Armando H, Nov 16, 2001.

1. Armando H

Armando H Agent

Ok. I bought the NEC LT150 for my Dad (xmas gift).
    Now what screen would be best to use with this projector? Please be specific....how much gain or what size. He'll be approximately 11 feet from the screen. You think an 8 foot diagnol screen would be too big? I think I read or heard somewhere that DLP actually looks better when you project a larger image. True? Please correct me if I'm wrong. Not sure. Thanks for any help guys.

2. Greg Risley

Greg Risley Second Unit

I have the LT150 and I use a 80"x45" screen with a 1.3 gain. This combo is gerat for my dark room and seating position of about 11'.
    Greg

3. Huey

Huey Agent

Dalite Hipower 92"X69" (4:3 aspect ratio) 2.8 gain manual pull down (Model B) for around $300 is a good value from www.avscience.com gives the best image IMHO. Due to only 800 lumens and DLP weaker colors the Hipower will add punch to colors and brightness allowing some ambient lighting. It's not beneficial for ceiling mount due to retroreflectivity of screen (best brightness is near PJ level). Table mount, floor mount, or rear wall mount work the best giving the full gain without hotspotting. You do take a slight hit in contrast but with LT150's 800:1 CR you can spare some. Check www.avsforum.com in the screen section for details. LT150 has no zoom so you'll have to mount it to fit screen. You may want to project on sheet or wall first to see what size you'll need before ordering. You may want to include a "gift certificate" for $300 to be applied toward screen for your dad for Xmas. That way you can order a screen that'll best fit his room and image size.

4. Armando H

Armando H Agent

I'm a little confused. What is the difference between an 80" x 45" and a 80" x 60" screen as far as how a widescreen presentation in 2:35 or 1:85 will look? Using a Panasonic rp56 prog DVD player to view material.
    Maybe I should just ask which screen would be used for what purpose? Ex: 80" x 45" would be better for HDTV, and 80" x 60" would be better for Prog DVD.
    Thanks again for any info guys.

5. Armando H

Armando H Agent

Thank you Huey and Greg.
    Huey,
    So you suggest a 4:3 screen rather than 16:9. I know the native of this projector is 4:3, but if it's primary use is going to be prog DVD, then wouldn't it be better to go with a 16:9 screen? Or do I not know what the heck I'm talking about at all? I'm confused. The screen you suggested was 4:3 right?

6. Bill Lucas

Bill Lucas Supporting Actor

A 2.8 gain screen with a nice bright DLP projector? No, no, no! Did I say no? [​IMG]
    A high gain screen is about the worst choice IM (professional)O and experience. I've seen the projector demoed on my 1.3 gain screen and it was a nice match. Of course, the Stewart Grayhawk (or the Vutec version of the Grayhawk) will give a better black level with some light tradeoff. Regards.