What's new

What site do you trust for game reviews? (1 Viewer)

Dave Poehlman

Senior HTF Member
I've got a $50 Best Buy certificate burning a hole in my pocket.

I was thinking of blowing it on a new game. However, I want to make sure I get a good one.

What's the best site for ranking games... more specifically PS2 games?

Al.Anderson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Al
I trust both Gamespot and ps2.ign.com. But you may want to give www.gamerankings.com a look. They post the ratings from multiple sources so you'll see any trends and abnormal high/lows.

Dave Poehlman

Senior HTF Member
Thanks! Those are great. Just what I was looking for: a site that'll let you sort by user ranking and genre.

Nick Sievers

Senior HTF Member

I hardly ever trust user rankings. Like most sites on the net a lot of people vote to the extremes just to bring the average score up or down.

Jon W H

Stunt Coordinator
I prefer Gamerankings.com to gauge the general buzz. I don't trust any one review site in particular. Usually friends with similar tastes or renting is the best review.

Chris Bardon

Senior HTF Member
Gamerankings is great for getting the general buzz about something, but I usually trust gamespot to give the most honest review of a game. I find that IGN tends to score a little higher on average, and not be near as critical of a game. If I want to know how something is, I'll usually check out gamespot's review, and then see how it stacks up on gamerankings.

Dave Poehlman

Senior HTF Member

I do take that into consideration. If I see something has ":star::star::star::star::star:" but only has one review... I'm usually a little skeptical. But, most of the "hot" games will have multiple reviews.

Just picked up "Prince of Persia: Sands of Time" thanks to you guys. Love it so far. :D

Elinor

Supporting Actor
Sands of Time is a great game ... you'll love it all the way through and be sorry when it's over :)

James T

Screenwriter

I used to read PC Gamer, but the last iss I bought was about 2-3 years ago. Then I started using IGN and gamespot, but if you look at IGN and gamespot and compare reviews, some are a bit off.

IGN gave MVP a high rating, but I'm not feeling it. It doesn't feel like a high rated game.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thinksinc
Recent bookmarks