What's new

What single game made you buy a system? (1 Viewer)

Sean Moon

Senior HTF Member
I got an NES because it was the only REAL system out at the time. The SNES because it was the next step for Mario and whatnot.
The reason I got a PSone was becuase I knew Final Fantasy VII would be on the system sometime in the next year and a half.
I got an N64 for Mario and GoldenEye.
Got a Saturn just so I could MOD it and play the imported X-Men vs Street Fighter
PS2 I got because...well...I just wanted the new system, and Metal Gear Solid 2 would be out a year later.
Dreamcast I got because of Soul Calibur and NFL 2K. That was the first time I ever got a system at launch and starved for months in order to buy it. Soul Calibur....mmmmmm.
Gamecube I bought for Luigi's Mansion and the fact that sometime in the next year Mario and Metroid would be out for it, then Zelda after that.
XBOX, HALO, and DOA3. Those games are the two sole reasons I bought that system, and still are the two reasons I will love the system forever.

It is funny, I just realised that Sony consoles never really had a killer app for me at or near launch. Most of their killer apps for me were a year or so away. Well, actually there were launch games on PS2 that I loved but didnt know it until months after launch(SSX and Timesplitters)

Lynn Johnson

Stunt Coordinator
Wow, I've been following this thread for a while now, and reading it has been REALLY nostalgic. Anyways, here's my list:

Atari 2600: Space Invaders(got it for Christmas the year it came out - I was 4 or 5 I think)

Colecovision: Donkey Kong - still bummed they didn't have the Pie Factory level

Nintendo: Super Mario Bros. - still an all time favorite.

Sega Genesis: Madden Football 92 - Playing college football made me play this, and become addicted at the time.

Super Nintendo: Mortal Kombat II - The reason I'm DYING for Mortal Kombat Deadly Alliance

Panasonic 3DO: Dragon's Lair and Space Ace - Finally won both those games!

Xbox: Halo - no explanation necessary, and NFL Fever 2003 - I did all of the motion capture acting for the linemen, linebackers, and tight ends!

Joe D

Supporting Actor
Well, I just bought a PS2 for Grand Theft Auto: Vice City. It's the first console I've bought since the N64 came out, which I sold about 3 months after I bought it since I really got into computer games.

Parker

Agent
2600- combat
famicom- popeye and donkey kong jr.
gameboy- tetris
genesis- altered beast
snes- super street fighter 2

Gary King

Second Unit
PSX - Final Fantasy VII
Saturn - Panzer Dragoon Saga
PS2 - Twisted Metal: Black
Xbox - Halo
Gamecube - Metroid Prime
Gameboy Advance - Metroid Fusion and Castlevania: Harmony of Dissonance

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
Jason,

I bought a $70 Samsung N501 just for T3K and VLM a few weeks ago. Supposedly it has the best VLM of all the domestic Nuon models (better beat detection).

As a bonus, there is a code where you can use an Aiwa mini-system remote (or Pronto codes) to make it region-free NTSC.
And I actually did the same thing, now. $80 for the player, $10 apiece for 5 games (I love Tempest 3K, but it's actually Ballistic that owns me) and $12 for a controller. I haven't tried using the codes to make it region-free yet (looking for a good site to get R2-NTSC movies), but the old player needed replacing anyway.

But Tempest 3000 is insane, and worth getting the Nuon thing for. They just don't make stuff like that any more.

JasonK

Supporting Actor
Let's see here...

I got an N64 a few months after release, but not for Mario 64 but for Mario Kart. Mario 64 was bought a few weeks later.

Halo got me to buy an XBOX.

Street Fighter 2 convinced me to get a SNES, until then my only 16-bit system was the Genesis.

Of every system I've owned (and there have been plenty) the one game that sold me more than any other was Halo. Until I played it, the XBOX did not appeal to me at all. After a few games of that online on GameSpy, I was sold.

The other systems this generation (Gamecube, PS2, Dreamcast) I was sold on from day one because of numerous games on its release day, not just one. Plus, with the Gamecube I knew Mario and Metroid would arrive in due time.

Andre F

Screenwriter
Halo for the Xbox...however, I love my Xbox and my library has grown. Regarding my GCN, the only game I have sunk a major amount of time in is Metroid Prime. However, Prime is reason enough to own a GCN!

Hunter P

Screenwriter
I went ahead and got the GBA SP today just so that I could play two games: FF Tactics Advanced and Yie Ar Kung Fu.
Yie Ar Kung Fu is packaged along with 5 other classic arcade games under Konami's Arcade Advanced game pak. The other games are: Frogger, Scramble, Gyruss, Time Pilot, and Rush N'Attack. Target was selling it for a measly $13.99.:emoji_thumbsup: Now I can relive my early teenage years.:)

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
Soul Calibur for Dreamcast

DOA3 for XBox and affirmation with Soul Calibur II

PSO V2 for GameCube

Anthony Connor

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Anthony Connor
Seriously want an X-box for DOAXBVB ;)
Previously bought a PC for Doom
PSX for Gran Turismo 1&2
PSX2 for Gran turismo 3
I only own a few games for the consoles, nothing much else I want them for. Although GTA3 and Vice City are a bonus.
Regards
AXE

NatL

Stunt Coordinator
XBOX - Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance

SNES - Super Punchout (Plus Madden and NHL)

Why have we never seen another game like Mike T's & Super Punchout? I hate button mashing boxing, but I loved those two games.

Brian Kleinke

Supporting Actor
PSX - Bleem ... it sucked so bad I had to get the real thing :) Beyond that Final Fantasy 8 (since it was the reason I got bleem)
XBob = Dead or Alive 3 (don't own Halo, never will)
Everyother system I got just cuz, no good reasons other then to have the system I guess :)

Chris Bardon

Senior HTF Member
I suppose that every system has had a "must have" game that caused you to buy it. Sure, there were others, but that first one for each...

NES-Super Mario Bros
SNES-Super MArio World
N64 1-Mario 64
N64 2-Ocarina of Time
N64 3-Majora's Mask (Yes, I have owned 3 different N64s, and sold them twice)
PSX-Final Fantasy VII (as a result of selling N64 1)
Xbox-Munch's Oddysee (and a bit of Halo)
Gamecube-Mario Sunshine (and the promise of Metroid and Zelda)
Game Boy (original)-Tetris (and wanting a portable)
GBC-Zelda "oracle" games/Dragon Warrior Ports
GBA-Castlevania COTM

And several PC upgrades to play certain games (more than I can remember offhand).

Joe Szott

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joe S.
Never had one game that made me buy a system, there needed to be at least 2-3 for me to break down. Closest thing to it was Halo and Xbox, I was a huge fan of Bungie from Marathon to Myth and their next game was a must have. Even without Halo, I think I would have bought an Xbox anyway, just maybe not on launch day :D

Michael Ballack

Second Unit
For the NES(my first console ever) it was going over to someones house and playing Rad Racer that mesemerized me. I had played Atari before, but let's face it, all Atari really had was horrible graphics like Pawn. I remember my mom buying me the NES package with Super Mario,Duck Hunt, and some other track game which was fun to play with others(although everyone cheated) for my birthday. It's funny because I never got the nintendo to work for months. We didn't have an RCA connection in the back of the TV. My poor grandfather struggled and just could not find a solution. Then my uncle came over with an RF Modulator to fix the problem. Although crude at the time, I'll never forget turning on that first console system.
I know this might make some people laugh but I really got into the Sega Genesis because of Michael Jackson's Moonwalker. I went over to my mom's hairdresser's house one night, and they allowed me to play with their son's Sega. The graphics were pretty good for the time not to mention the stereo sound that came out compared to the synthesiszed or whatever you call it nes. For that very reason, I never had an snes. I remember all the wars I had with friends on which was better, SNES or Sega. Maybe the SNES had a slight advantage in the graphics department, but I felt the conroller and games on the Sega were much better.

Josh Lowe

Screenwriter
NES - Super Mario Bros
Genesis - Strider
SNES - Starfox
PSX - Tekken
Saturn - Virtua Fighter
PS2 - Metal Gear Solid 2 / Gran Turismo 3
Xbox - None.. bought it based on potential vs. a particular release
GCN - Wind Waker

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks