What's new

What shows are you currently recording? (1 Viewer)

The Obsolete Man

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I record “The Walking Dead”, “Fear The Walking Dead”, “The Orville”, “Star Trek Discovery”, “Star Wars Rebels”, and “Krypton” (one episode so far).

I usually use my PVR, transfer them to the hard drive on my DVD recorder, edit out the ads, and I always dub them to DVD-RW. I replace these with the Blu-ray sets when they come out and re-use the DVD-RWs. After all that work, I don’t end up watching the home made versions. They are just in case versions, recorded in case the show does not end up on disc. I learned my lesson with “Galavant”.

I just bought a pack of DVD+RWs to save some money in my quest of dumping shows from the DVR to DVD recorder to computer, where I edit the commercials out, convert to MP4, and save them on an external HD that easily plugs into the side of the trusty widescreen.

I could probably save some steps if I figured out how to use capture cards or something like that.

TJPC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Terry Carroll
My Magnavox DVD recorders have hard drives which record the shows. It is easy to remove commercials at that stage before burning to DVD. Unfortunately my cable company now requires a cable box which makes the internal tuners useless in these machines. I now have to turn the cable box to the correct channel manually to tape anything.

The Obsolete Man

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
My Magnavox DVD recorders have hard drives which record the shows. It is easy to remove commercials at that stage before burning to DVD. Unfortunately my cable company now requires a cable box which makes the internal tuners useless in these machines. I now have to turn the cable box to the correct channel manually to tape anything.

No fancy DVD Recorder here, just a recorder.

And, since I'm not adverse to my shows surviving as digital files, I'm cool with doing the editing with my computer and backing the files up on a couple different HDs. That's pretty much why I'm not as enthusiastic about digital as I could be. DRM and services being able to disappear shows down the memory hole whenever they want just seems like a waste of money for a glorified rental.

But anyway, finally got my DVD+RWs, started doing some checking around with Drew Carey episodes. S2E1 runs 22:22, which is period appropriate. Looks like they're uncut.

But I'm going to have to do a second recordthru of the show to make sure I don't get any damned credit crunched episodes and any stragglers not aired the first time around.

Credit crunches while airing the opening scene of the next episode at the same time... I'd love to give a very stern talking to the person who thought that up... perhaps with a boot.

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member

I record the shows first on the DVR, then burn it to the hard drive of the DVD recorder and edit from there.

Ron Lee Green

Screenwriter
I have a Magnavox, too! Model MDR513H. Love it! Had it since 2010. I heard they don't make these type of recorders anymore, so I don't know what I'll do when it dies. I do have another (older) DVD recorder, but it doesn't have a hard drive so I won't be able to make edits.

Carabimero

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
My wife and I record Madam Secretary, The Good Doctor, Bull, This Is Us, Timeless, The Good Fight, and Survivor.

Last edited:

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
My wife and I record Madam Secretary, The Good Doctor, Bull, This Is Us, Timeless, The Good Fight, and Survivor.

I would think most new shows get released these days, which would preclude the need to DVD record them, although one never knows. Plus I sure its way cheaper. Shows are so short these days you could record a full 22 episode season at SP on 8 discs.

Ron1973

Beverly Hillbilles nut extraordinaire
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron Reagan (not that one!)
I need to get underway with downloading the rest of Memphis Wrestling. I'm up to around 1984 now. I'm mainly interested up until the early 90's since they really tried to become more like the WWF around 1992, even having Vince McMahon send in taped interviews. I've noticed that WWE has started to do a copyright claim on a few clips here and there, and Sony has blocked two shows on music grounds. I'm sure there is some song The Fabulous Ones or Rock and Roll Express used that is controlled by Sony. I won't go into the copyright argument here as I know it's verboten, but I find it crazy they can block a whole show over a snippet of music.

Mark Tay

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Mark
I started doing Trackdown, even though they run 23 minutes. Haven't sat down yet and checked to see if they are cut or timesped. There are questions regarding video rights so its likely not going to see a DVD release. I have them previously from old airings, which are probably more complete but also from beat up 16mm prints. I also just recorded the run of Fantastic Journey on GET. Running times are all over the place. The second episode came in super short at around 41 minutes but some ran 48 minutes. Would love to know why that happened.
Episode 2 of Fantastic Journey opens with a re-cap of episode 1. I'm guessing GET aired ep.2 immediately after ep.1, so no need for the re-cap (and more time for commercials).

The Obsolete Man

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Well, it's been a few months...

I almost got all of The Drew Carey show, complete and uncrunched.

4 episodes to go, and Laff changed the aspect ratio on their shows at the beginning of July, leaving them windowboxed in SD.

Oh well.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks