What show was this?

Discussion in 'TV Shows' started by Philip_cw_H, Apr 16, 2004.

1. Philip_cw_H

Philip_cw_H Auditioning

I remember watching this show as a kid, anyone have any idea what it was called?

I watched it on public television mid 80's, I'm thinking between 83 and 86. I don't know how many episodes it was, but I'm thinking not many. It was British (I think) and 1/2 hour long.

The setting was a English as a Second Language type class were the British instructor was teaching English to his class full of multicultural immigrants (I think they were immigrants). The only characters I clearly remember is the instructor and one student who was a middle aged Indian or Pakistani gentleman. I remember him as being a Sikh, with the headwrap, but my memory is fuzzy so he might have just been an Indian or Pakistani. I think he had some sort of a catch phrase that always drew laughs.

It was an ensemble cast, most of the students were part of the show. I don't think the show was what we would call 'PC' because some of the humor came from the fact that the students were foreign.

Ring any bells? I was young when I watched this so the details could be off a little bit.

2. MarkHastings

MarkHastings Executive Producer

Wasn't there a show with Yakov Smirnoff where he was in some sort of imigration class? I think the title had America in it...

EDIT: Just found it on IMDB:
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0090543/

"What a Country" - 1986-1987

3. Philip_cw_H

Philip_cw_H Auditioning

That wasn't it, but a look at the IMDB page gives you the name of the British Comedy it was based on.

It looks like "Mind Your Language" is the one I remember.

I wonder if it was a funny as I remember or just funny b/c I was 10. It looks like it is only out on DVD in R2 right now.

4. andrew markworthy

It's Mind Your Language, and it predates What a Country. It ran for about 10 years in the UK (NB - a 'series' is typically only 6 episodes in the UK, so I guess there aren't all that many episodes). The UK has lots of ESL ('English as a Second Language') schools like the one in MYL. Generally, they are located in big tourist attraction cities (London, Oxford, etc) and are principally used by foreign visitors wanting to improve their spoken English (until recently there wasn't a formal language qualification for becoming a Brit citizen, so the American version of the show, with various non-English speakers 'having' to learn English wouldn't work in a Brit TV show).

I saw a re-run of an episode a couple of years ago. I suspect, Philip, that you may not find the show quite as side-splittingly funny these days.

5. James Corey

James Corey Stunt Coordinator

IIRC, the teacher was played by Barry Evans, who a few years earlier played the part of Dr. Michael Upton in the Doctor In The House series.