What's new

What Should We Expect From CBS IN 2015? (1 Viewer)

Frank Soyke

Screenwriter
Real Name
Frank
Short answer IMO, if you are not a fan of westerns, not much. I see 2 seasons of Bonanza and Gunsmoke and maybe a couple more of the the later subpar seasons of Happy Days and that looks like about it. I hope I'm wrong but they appear to have lost interest in classic releases as a whole and their MOD program is clearly DOA. Plus, it really looks like Hillbillies and PJ have gone back into mothballs AGAIN.
I know there has been much buzz about thier remastering of some classic shows such as Chapparal and Our Miss Brooks but nothing appears to be happening with those and similar remastered shows. After all, they have had additional remastered seasons of Love Boat sitting on the shelf for how many years now??? Hopefully they will license some stuff out like My 3 Sons and Barnaby Jones, but I really don't see much from CBS anymore. It's a shame we couldn't get one or two more good years out of them.

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
It would be great if The Colbys was released next year. Though I'm not counting on it.

LeoA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Leo
I still hold out distant hope for more PJ/BH directly from CBS. I don't think their wide release happened until March or so. So there's still some time before that 12 month mark rolls around where most of us figure a program from them has now stalled out.

At the very least, I hope they have some surprises in store while hopefully outsiders like Shout can take a crack at some of their viable programs that they can't be bothered with to handle in-house (My Three Sons, please).

I sure wish their Blu-Ray program had been handled better. While I'm mainly interested in new content, I'd also have loved to see a few more HD rereleases.

Ron1973

Beverly Hillbilles nut extraordinaire
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron Reagan (not that one!)
CBS seems to do things in fits and spurts. They focus on a certain set of shows for a while, and then they pick up on something else for a while. I'm not a Mork and Mindy fan, but it was nice to see that finally they unstalled it and finished it up. I know we have to have a sense of caution, but I think we will see most of the stalled titles eventually completed. They seem to be making an effort lately, so we'll see.

HenryDuBrow

Screenwriter
Real Name
Henry.
Their MOD program is not entirely dead, they just released the final season of Becker that way. And if they're smart, they dig deeper into the past than that... Take Cannon, they put out S3 and it looked just the same old and worn as the first two seasons so the 'quality' didn't suffer too badly. ;) Whether it sold well or not, we don't know, but fans should realize they won't get anything looking any better by waiting for standard DVD releases.

The Obsolete Man

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
HenryDuBrow said:
Their MOD program is not entirely dead, they just released the final season of Becker that way. And if they're smart, they dig deeper into the past than that... Take Cannon, they put out S3 and it looked just the same old and worn as the first two seasons so the 'quality' didn't suffer too badly. ;) Whether it sold well or not, we don't know, but fans should realize they won't get anything looking any better by waiting for standard DVD releases.
If I had to bet, I would say VEI gets a crack at Cannon and Barnaby Jones if anyone does, since they seem to have the inside track on CBS/P cop and medical dramas.

derosa

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Grant
rmw650 said:
Hoping for more Love Boat.
Me too. With a significant number of seasons still to come, it might be one of the reasons why
the series hasn't seen more releases yet. Trudging on with half season sets is likely a money loser,
the sales just don't seem to be there... so what are they to do? Two volumes to complete the show?
One giant set? There is basically almost 250 episodes of 50-47mins, it's a lot of content for one set,
likely 50 dvd's worth. Personally, i want the whole series, but how broad an appeal will an expensive
set have? Lots of questions for CBS to answer.

derosa

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Grant
rmw650 said:
AND ME-TV only has the first five seasons of the show contracted to them, while the remaining seasons are in limbo or if you're able to, catch them airing on Youtube or Dailymotion, but ever thorugh those sources not every episode is on there.
From the Love Boat copies I have, it appears that all the episodes through season 7 have aired somewhere
(I think maybe in Europe, based on the full run times).

From my searching around, Season 8 hasn't aired shows 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, and 24 in reruns.
Season 9, missing about half the shows, episodes 1,2,3, 6, 8,9,10,11,12, 16,17,18,19 and 21 are m.i.a
as are the four episodes in the final season.

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
I think sales affected the continuation of The Love Boat but that doesn't mean they still won't pick it up again or license it. I think we will see at least one season of High Chapparal and Our Miss Brooks. They spent the money to re-master them for a reason and that reason for a company like CBS is usually to make money. I also think we will see another round of Hillbillies and PJ. CBS has always had very erratic release patterns shows will get several releases then stall for a couple years and then get picked up again. They have a lot of shows to release and seem to go through cycles of different shows.
And of course on the negative side the poor economy and disc media slowly dying also affect how much they release now.

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
Is there a chance that CBS would license High Chaparal to another company?

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
Frank Soyke said:
Hope your right on this one Neil. That would be great.
Expect them in the later part of the year. Of course things can always change but as of now it should happen.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks