What should we do in Franfurt...Barcelona?

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Drew Bethel, Jun 11, 2003.

1. Drew Bethel

Drew Bethel Screenwriter

Ok, our honeymoon is coming up in two weeks and I'm starting to hit the panic button because I haven't done any planning yet.

We will be going for 15 days to Frankfurt > Barcelona > England for the final destination. We will spend about 5 days in each location.

I lived in England so that's a no-brainer. But I heard that Frankfurt can be pretty boring...only reason we're stopping there is because my wife has close friends living there. [​IMG]

Any advice is appreciated...

2. Brian Johnston

I have spent some time in Frankfurt on business trips and you heard right, it can be pretty boring. If you have access to a car I would recommend a day trip to Hiedleberg (sp?). It is a small town about 1 - 1.5 hours drive south of Frankfurt and there is an old castle there (the main attraction) it is partially ruined but it is quite a pretty spot. There are tours of the castle given fairly regularly thoughtout the day.

Good Luck,
    Brian.

3. Scott Barnhart

Scott Barnhart Stunt Coordinator

Well, Frankfurt might not be the biggest tourist city in the world, but you shouldn't be completely bored to death there. I sure never have been! [​IMG]

In Frankfurt itself:

1) Go walking/shopping/people-watching in the Konstablerwache-Hauptwache area. Right downtown, easy to get to via S-Bahn or U-Bahn (subways).

2) If you like art museums, don't miss the Stadel Art Gallery - 63 Schaumainkal - right across the Main river.

3) Go to the Sachsenhausen area and eat a typical Sachsenhausen meal with Apfelwein - a very sour apple wine.

4) Go to Mainz - a city right up the Main river from Frankfurt where the Main and Rhein come together and see the Gutenberg museum - this is really neat if you have any interest in how Gutenberg's press with moveable type changed the world.

5) In Mainz you should be able to get a Rhein river cruise (one day cruise - 5-8 hours) very easily - this is fun and goes past lots of beautiful scenery and castles.

6) Go to the Goethe-Haus and Goethe Museum. Very interesting. Here is the URL

7) The Palmengarten in Frankfurt is a really nice garden to see.

8) Check the schedule for the Alte-Oper - lots of neat concerts and operas there. Alte Oper

General Frankfurt info and schedule here

Hope this helps!

4. Drew Bethel

Drew Bethel Screenwriter

Thanks for the advice. Not a whole lot of world travelers on this forum I guess.

5. Lance Nichols

Lance Nichols Supporting Actor

Drew, should be pretty no brainer, IMHO. Hotel + Foreign Country + Newlyweds = No need to leave room [​IMG]

Seriously, I wish I could help. Although I have done lots of traveling, it has all be in Canada and the US. Planning on visiting the ansetral homelands of Scotland next year...

6. John Thomas

John Thomas Cinematographer

I'd say go check out the chicks in those Malls. They've got to be hotter than supermodels too. [​IMG] [​IMG]

7. Lew Crippen

Lew Crippen Executive Producer

Scott has given some good advice. To which I’d add the Mainz is pretty good. IIRC there is a church with some outstanding stained glass.

Also I recommend the Rhine below (North of Mainz). The right bank is best, with many world-famous vineyards. Many have fond memories of sipping some of that delicate wine, overlooking with river—all the better with a loved one.

And if you have an operatic bent, you can imagine the Rhine maidens guarding their gold in the river below. Hum a little Wagner and all will be well.

8. Henry Gale

Henry Gale Producer

Barcelona....
    Color me jealous. Please find out a little about the architecture of GAUDÍ before you get there, and then enjoy the most wonderful organic art nouveau buildings I have never seen. Well, I have books and a DVD, but someday...

9. Holadem

Holadem Lead Actor

So Drew, let me guess you met your lady at the Mall of Americas? [​IMG]

--
    Holadem

10. Drew Bethel

Drew Bethel Screenwriter

You guys with the mall comments are cracking me up. Will my mall comment forever haunt me? [​IMG]

Actually, I met my wife salsa dancing. I try to stay out of the mall...too many "distractions" [​IMG]