What Should I Watch/Buy?

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Kyle Tippett, Jul 14, 2003.

1. Kyle Tippett

Kyle Tippett Stunt Coordinator

I am getting my new tv, a 46" wide hitachi RPTV, and have a paradigm 5.1 set, with an svs. I need something foreign, classic, and pref. even black and white to watch on a hot, breezey summer day. Basically it needs to be long.. but not Seven Samurai or Rublev long... and sound ist too important... so, what looks good on a big set that is foreign, and in black and white? this is purely opinion of course, but i am having trouble thinking of things... things i dont have.. i thought maybe L'Avventura... the ones i have that i thought about were the current criterion bergmans, passion of joan of arch, i dont know.. help me out.. maybe someitnhg like throne of blood, or dersu uzala...

please give me suggestions. and i did considder BARAKA, but i dont know about that this early into the set.. need soemthing to fit the weather more..

2. TonyDale

TonyDale Second Unit

Criterion's 8 1/2 comes quite close to perfection.

3. Daniel Becker

Daniel Becker Second Unit

This may not fit your request but if you want to see a good movie about a great band making a record I would tell you to buy "I am trying to break your heart". It's black and white and 16:9 enhanced. Great material and look. Nice film about the band and making their latest album. Lots of music and lots of human drama. Check it out!

Dan.B

4. Kyle Tippett

ive allready got 8 1/2

5. Scott Kimball

Scott Kimball Screenwriter

Wages of Fear (Criterion)

-Scott

6. Kyle Tippett

any other suggestions?

7. Simon_Lepine

Simon_Lepine Supporting Actor

Maybe Criterion's The 400 Blows in the Antoine Doinel Box Set? It's foreign, anamorphic widescreen, B&W and is certainly a classic.

8. Scott Kimball

I was going to mention 400 Blows, too... but held back because the only way you can get Crtierion's re-release is in the boxed set. The Fox Lorber verion isn't worth the disc it's pressed on...

-Scott

9. Kyle Tippett

haha, yeh, ive seen that disc... niether is the RAN... i can deal with discs without chapter stops, but i hate it without a counter. the people over at wellspring (lorber) dont really even know much about whats going on with thier dvds casue i have inquired about several films that they have.... wages of fear sounds like a possibility.. but ive never seen any anonioni, and have been meaning to watch l'avventura for a while... is it a decent choice...

10. Cary T

Cary T Screenwriter

Look no further than Rashomon: Criterion [​IMG]

11. Kyle Tippett

have it

12. Andrea W

Andrea W Supporting Actor

How about Rififi: Criterion?

13. Bruce Hedtke

Bruce Hedtke Cinematographer

Wild Strawberries, Hidden Fortress, L'Atalante, Throne of Blood and Passion of Joan of Arc are all great b/w films that come alive on a big screen television.

Bruce

14. Kyle Tippett

Scott had me thinking Wages of Fear.. but then i heard.. as odd as it sounded, that SORCERER with roy scheider is actually better... so i might scratch that one... wild strawberries i have, passion i have... throne of blood is possible, but its non-anamorphic.

15. richardWI

richardWI Second Unit

I consider Suspiria a classic foreign film [​IMG] and Satryricon.. Criterion Grand Illusion looks great, as does Seventh Seal.

16. Scott Kimball

Sorcerer is a decent remake of Wages of Fear... some excellent nail-biter scenes...

But Wages of Fear has better atmosphere... the desperation of the townsfolk before the mission is undertaken is very powerful.

Sorcerer is good, but it doesn't out-do the original in any way... except for having more high-profile names attached (Friedkin, Scheider...).

Given those points, ya gotta go with the original...
    ...but you can't miss with either...

-Scott

17. Kyle Tippett

someone mentioned children of paradise... thoughts? now that i think about it.. long might be a plus... so take that into considderation.. but i have got andrei rublev and seven samurai, and suriyothai... so none of them.... keeping it to criterion is good though, i havent gotten anything from them in a while.. ive been doing mainly imports lately

18. Simon_Lepine

Simon_Lepine Supporting Actor

Children of Paradise is a masterpiece, you can't really go wrong with that or the movies Bruce suggested, but I was trying to suggest a widescreen movie to try out your new TV.

19. Vic_T

Vic_T Stunt Coordinator

You know what i consider to be a great foriegn film? City of Lost Children. It's not in B&W, and it's not that long, but it is damn good.

20. Kyle Tippett

simon, yes.. that is an issue, and is why i am still thinking about l'avventura, its 1.77, so that might be good, but i have tried to run a aspect ratio search on the criterion site and it wont finnish the search..
    you know, might even just watch seventh seal... its one of my favorite films, and its not that fitting.. but is to a degree, mokina is what i really want... has anyone seen kino's dersu uzala disc? hows it look? ive been meaning to watch that for a while