What should I use to fill speaker stands?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Mike Improvius, Feb 12, 2003.

1. Mike Improvius

Mike Improvius Auditioning

Just curious what the recomendations are. I was thinking either playsand or lead shot.

Thanks.
    -Mike

2. Stephen Hopkins

Stephen Hopkins HW Reviewer
    HW Reviewer

Sand, Lead Shot, Marbles, Gravel, anything that's dense and you have readily available.

One thing to keep in mind w/ sand is the bottom must be completely filled... with the other reccomendations you can always run your cable through the column THEN fill and not have to worry about leaking while still keeping your cables conceiled.

Hope this helps [​IMG]

3. Tim Morton

Tim Morton Stunt Coordinator

I just bought new speaker stands and did alot of obsessing over just this question. The research led me to believe that a mixture of lead and sand is best. I added a 25lb bag of lead to each of my stands. This filled them about half way each, and then topped off with dry sand. The reason i got for doing this was that the lead, while being very heavy can also cause sound issues with resonances. So the sand on top of the lead is to damp those resonances. Who the heck knows if any of that matters...but i sleep very well at night knowing my resonances are dampened properly.

4. Chuck Bogie

Chuck Bogie Second Unit

I shoot competition benchrest, resting the rifle on "sandbags" (hey, yep, that $75 hand-crafted piece of cordura and leather is a "sandbag"). Lots of guys use zircon sandblasting sand because it is heavier than normal silica-type sand. Personally, I'd mix lead shot with el-cheapo sand.

5. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

would not using lead shot imply that your stands are now an EPA hazard should you ever want to dispose of them?

6. David Sorenson

David Sorenson Stunt Coordinator

My local dealer said that a good cheap filler was kitty litter. Haven't tried it.

7. Aaron Lock

Aaron Lock Extra