What should I use for legs on my sub??

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Cam S, Jan 29, 2003.

1. Cam S

Cam S Screenwriter

Well it's been several months now since I finished my Shiva/AVA250 sub, and I must say, I love it more with each day!

I never put legs on the base of it and I think I would like to add them now. Thing is, I have NO IDEA what would be good, for both performance (if any gains) and looks. I bought some simple wood knobs about the size of a doorknob, but it just doesn't suit the sub. I am thinking that a square leg would suit the sub a little better, especially since the corners of the sub are not round.

I've seen a few subs with machined aluminum and brass legs that look awesome. I have access to a lath as well, so all I have to do is locate some aluminum stock. How do you guys think the brass or aluminum would work with my sub??

I'm all out of ideas for the feet, so give me some ideas guys, and provide pictures too if you have them!! Thanks!

BTW, pics of my sub are here.

2. Andrus_R

Andrus_R Stunt Coordinator

I always thought this combo looked smashing...

[​IMG]

Cocobolo seems to go well with birch veneer.

3. Tim Morton

Tim Morton Stunt Coordinator

Nice looking sub, have you shecked out the thread in"subwoofer" showing the new SVS box subwoofer? It has a very cool looking platform that it sits on..I would try and steal that look, maybe using a piece of 1" mdf and rout the edges. and maybe a smaller peice of MDF to create a shadow space.

4. Robert_J

Robert_J Lead Actor

Robert
    Cam,
    I'm planning on building sub almost identical to yours but with a base similar to this. He goes into base contstruction details about half-way down this page.

-Robert

5. Dave Poehlman

Dave Poehlman Producer

On my sub I just put some 1.5" dowels in more towards the center to give it the illusion it was hovering over the floor.

6. Cam S

Cam S Screenwriter

What about putting just plain spikes on it? The sub weighs 85 pounds, would that be to heavy for spikes?

I was also thinking of doing something similar to this Aerial Sub but instead of having it just sitting on the base, I would put some sort of real wood around the top of the base to cover a bit of the sub, does that make sense?

7. Andrus_R

Andrus_R Stunt Coordinator

Aerial sub. Looked at the price tag for it and I almost had a heart attack. 5 G's for that sub?!?!

It looks nice though. By looking at the proprietory plate amp with remote I'd say the high price is somewhat justified. Sure looks like they know what they are doing.

As for the feet, i don't think you can go wrong duplicating aeral base/feet design.[​IMG]

8. PaulDF

PaulDF Second Unit

Wow, that Titanic 10 was quite an interesting design.

I also used the leftover cutouts from my braces as sub feet. Glued 4 or 5 together and they work well. They are also very sturdy for sliding or moving the sub. No worries about them snapping off!

9. Craig Woodhall

Craig Woodhall Supporting Actor

I put castors on mine, makes it very easy to move the sub around.. Great for my box, since it weighs about 230lbs..

Craig

10. Cam S

Cam S Screenwriter

230lbs, holy shite that's heavy!

Another idea I had was to do something like this sub . I could use leftover pieces of MDF or use some real wood and stain it to match. That would look good as well.

Another thing. Duplicating the Aerial base, how thick should I make it? I couldn't find any thick lumber suitable for the job at Revy (nor wide enough) so I guess I could laminate 2 pieces of 3/4" or 1" mdf together. I'm not too sure if a 2" base would be overkill, not too mention weigh a good 20+ pounds.

Also, where is a good place to buy spikes? These ones are cheap and can be used on both carpet and hardwood simply by flipping them. Are spikes really needed though?

Thanks for all the help so far guys!!

11. Jonathan_D

Jonathan_D Stunt Coordinator

12. Cam S

Cam S Screenwriter

Those are nice spikes, but they will end up costing 60+ bucks as they are in the states. The ones at Creative Sound would be much more practical since Abotsford is less than 3 hours away.

13. Dan Wesnor

Dan Wesnor Second Unit

Madisound sells rubber feet, and I'm sure others do as well.

You can find exotic wood (as well as non-exotics) on eBay that are already cut into squares and circles. Look for turning squares, pen blanks.

If you look through this guy's list, he always has several square or nearly-square pieces. Just lop off the length you need: http://cgi6.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...sort=3&rows=25

14. Cam S

Cam S Screenwriter

I don't think I wanna go the E-bay route and make things more expensive or more complicated than it has to be. I wanna be able to get all my parts at revy, or in BC atleast.

15. Chris Tsutsui

Chris Tsutsui Screenwriter

I like the Aerial base, that's what I would go with because it looks like it will turn out nicely with your sub.

I would use one 3/4" MDF sheet for the top of the base, and then I'd add a 3/4" wide x 2-3" strips of MDF around the perimeter to save on some weight. Then sand, primer and paint flat black.

If you use the strips, you can clamp them down rather than having to press 2 whole base sheets together.

The little space between the base and the enclosure adds to the cosmetics. You could simply use some washers to make the space with screws through them. Or you could sandwich some more wood. That little gap really helps the looks of the base IMO.

As for spikes, I would just get what ever is available as this whole base thing is primarily cosmetic and probably won't boost your SQ any.

16. Cam S

Cam S Screenwriter

Thanks for the ideas Chris, I never thought about using just strips instead of 2 large MDF panels. Should save a fair amount of weight. As for the gap I'll have to make the base and see how it looks with it.

17. Doug_M_Fraser

Here are some an alternative ideas

From IKEA:

These are the brushed metal leg available in 3 heights (even though this URL only gives info on 6 1/2". I am sure they are available 4" heights.

http://www.ikea-usa.com/product_pres...54564&type=ART

Another leg
    http://www.ikea-usa.com/product_pres...RT&id=6150,405

Here are some from Lee Valley:

http://www.leevalley.com/hardware/pa...urrency=2&SID=

Hope this helps

Doug

18. Cam S

Cam S Screenwriter

Awsome Doug! The ones from Lee Valley look great! I wonder if a 4" leg would be too high though, hmmmm.

19. Shris

Shris Auditioning

20. Paul Stiles

Paul Stiles Agent

Two pair of ladies' stiletto high heels would make a sexy looking set of legs for your subwoofer.

Paul