What Should I Upgrade First?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by JohnEF, Nov 2, 2001.

1. JohnEF

JohnEF Stunt Coordinator

Jun 27, 2000
    I have been bitten by the upgradeitis bug and am planning some major purchases. My current system is a Yamaha 793 receiver (70 watts times 5) with two Pinnacle gold reference Tower Mains, a Pinnacle centerwide, 2 Pinnacle gold reference mini-monitors for surrounds and a Pinnacle 250 watt sub-woofer. My room is 15' by 24' by 8' and I use the setup mostly for movies.
    I was planning to get an Outlaw 750 and use my Yamaha as a pre-amp. I would also like to upgrade my center speaker to the Pinnacle gold reference model and my sub-woofer to one of the SVS models. Of course with the planned introduction of the Outlaw 770 I am thinking about that one (adding their 950 pre-amp some time in the future).
    I would like to get some input as to the best order for these upgrades and which would have the greatest impact for the money spent.
  2. Jerry T

Jerry T Agent

Jul 11, 1999
    I would upgrade the center channel first to match your front soundstage.
    Then an SVS sub.
    Then more powerful amps.
    For movies, majority of the dialogue comes from the center channel. It's by far the most important speaker for movie setup IMO.
    To experience the full impact of sound effects in movies a sub or two or more is recommended.
    If reference level is not desired then, the current Yamaha amp. is sufficient.
    Hope this helps.
  3. Gary Thomas

Gary Thomas Second Unit

Jan 17, 1999
    From my experience...someone who has upgraded & downgraded every piece of equipment several times!!!
    1. Tivo or Personal Video Recorder: totally changed how my family views tv. Now I've got 1 for the kids and 1 for my wife & me.
    2. Rear center surround: This addition made a bigger impact that when I added amps, calibrated eq or speaker upgrades. This ties in with a receiver change...I got the denon 3802.
    3. Bass shakers: cheap, fun, flexible. They're great for the "wow" facotor of you HT guests.
    4. Subwoofer upgrade: I'm considering upgrading my sub, even though mine is excellent. I'm looking for better results since my room is so large. I'm also going to be adding a parametric eq for the sub.
    5. If you have cable, I'd consider satellite. Dish has some great deals for free equipment / installation.
    HT Pic's
  4. Charles M

Charles M Stunt Coordinator

Jun 7, 2001
    I would do the Amp or receiver last, because at the middle of next year you should have good idea of what kind of receiver you want. And the prices should drop after they all finally get released.
    The only dumb question is the one you never ask....