What's new

What should I replace a Sony SA-WM40 sub with $500 (1 Viewer)

DavidJW

Agent
What would bestbuy or circuit city have for that price? Maybe bose makes subwoofers or should I say bass modules :laugh:

What would any HTF member recommend?

Hmmm. maybe a SVS PB10. I had always known my next replacement sub would be an SVS. I had always wanted a 16-46PC+ but could never rationalize spending the money. This should be more than powerfull enough in my bedroom. This should also blend nicely with my JBL Studio setup (S38, S-center, and S26) and Sony DA4ES receiver.

I was helping a friend at work setup a Hometheater setup. He wanted a 5.1 setup but was reluctant to spend alot on a subwoofer. He didn't want to upset his landlord underneath him. I told him every HT needs a subwoofer and offered to sell him my Sony sub for cheap. He agreed and I decided to step up to the baby SVS.

I know I won't be dissapointed. :D

Jack Gilvey

Senior HTF Member
I had that Sony years ago, and I have a PB10 (currently set up in my bro's HT with a JBL NSP-1 suite). The SVS is an order of magnitude better and is the obvious choice in that price range. I set it up right next to his couch, about 18' back from the mains/screen. The thing is so clean that I can't localize it even with the standard 80Hz low-pass, and the nearfield placement allows basically unlimited headroom. Amazing.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I'll second the PB-10. It is right at the top of the hill in that price range. Note also that the PB-10 is approximately 2X the soize of the WM40.

MichaelPR

Second Unit
I had the good ole SAWM40. I tricked it out with all the mods...always sounded like crap. Moved up to the SVS PB10 last year I guess....and holy cow it's amazing.

Jack Gilvey

Senior HTF Member
The only mod I performed on the Sony was giving it to my friend. :) It's still performing flawlessly (performance aside)in his system, I must say.

DavidJW

Agent
:angry: I didn't realize they were backordered in black. Missed the last one by a couple of days. I didn't want to settle for a different color so I decided to wait for black. It'll be a long 4 or so weeks. Bummed for now, but I know I won't be dissapointed when it arrives:D

DavidJW

Agent
Yeah:D , my PB10 was shipped today and I will get it on the 8th. SVS must have overestimated when they told me on the phone that Black would be backordered until March.

I'll finally see if the SVS hype is true or not.

Parker Clack

Schizophrenic Man
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Parker
David:

You are going to be amazed at the difference. That little PB10 is a killer sub for the money. We had one set up with several other large SV Subs in a demo room and when it was on many of the people in the room thought Ron had one of the large subs running. It was fun to see the surprised look on their faces when they realized they were actually listening to the PB10.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks