What's new

What should i look for in a reveiver??? (1 Viewer)

bluedev1

Auditioning
Real Name
mike
I want to upgrade my receiver. I currently have a Yamaha HTR-5935. I don't want anything ridiculously expensive(going into a small room). What is a good brand? Also is there a difference in sound over HDMI and optical? I am using the speakers that came with the receiver. Would there be a differnce in using different spearkers? I know I am asking alot of question but i want to know i am getting the right thing.

Any good?......Denon - 525W 7.1-Ch. SIRIUS Satellite Radio/Apple® iPod®-Ready A/V Receiver - AVR-1609

David Willow

Babbling Idiot
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I doesn't look like that AVR decodes the HD formats. If you get Blu-Ray in the future that could be important. Check out the Onkyo 706. It's about the same price with more features.

Optical vs HDMI.... There is no difference for the old DTS and Dolby. If you want the new HD formats, you need HDMI.

I can't find much info on your Yamaha, but if it is a HTiB, the speakers that came with it are very low end. You would see a big improvement with better speakers.

bluedev1

Auditioning
Real Name
mike
Ok well i went to the store and got a Yamaha RX-V663BL. I got $100 of for having no box.(original $525) The only thing i don't like is that my old sub doesn't work with it. I needed a new one to begin with. Any suggestions??? Next up to be replaced speakers then my home theater is done.

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
You will need to post a budget for the sub and speakers. Also, what type of speakers you're looking for. Towers, bookshelves, satilites, etc. Most often recommended for a sub is SVS followed by HSU and Elemental Designs but if you are really on a tight budget I'd look at PartsExpress.com or this Energy SW8 from the AudioAdvisor. You can really get more for your money by buying from a good internet company than from a retail store, particularly with subs. And speakers, too.

bluedev1

Auditioning
Real Name
mike
i am looking at maybe spending $500 to $600 now. i just bought a pair of polk audio T15 bookshelf speakers. i don't want anything really expensive. Nothing to big it is going into a bedroom so no towers and no wireless.

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
Here are a few decent but in-expensive subwoofers: Dayto Elite 8"/ $159 or Dayto Sub 80 8"/ $94 and Energy SW8/ $88. AudioAdvisor.com has other Energy speakers on closeout you should look at. Or you could get other Polk speakers to fill out your system. And of course, just because I like what I've mentioned doesn't mean you will. Just want to show you what's out there.

Here is an example of an Energy speaker AudioAdvisor has. Energy C-100/ $149 a pair. And they have others.

Looks like FutureShop has the C-100 for $79 a pair (in black). But they don't have a matching center channel.

bluedev1

Auditioning
Real Name
mike
thanks for ur help and links to other websites. I really appreciate it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Embrywool
Recent bookmarks