What should i look for in a reciver?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Atmun, Dec 24, 2003.

1. Atmun

Atmun Auditioning

I am trying to put to gether a surround sound system for a 15x12 room. I have figured everything else out besides the reciver. What features should i look for in a reciver for a 5.1 system with eather paradigm, JBL or infinity speakers. i would also like one that can do 6.1 if i ever deside to get more speakers.

2. Shane Martin

Shane Martin Producer

First of all you have to decide on how much you want to spend or how much you can afford to spend. That alone will determine what features are going to be obtainable and what features you might not get.

For instance, a software upgradable/hardware upgradable unit like the Onkyo 989 isn't obtainable for under $1,500.

As far as what features I would prefer:

a) Enough digital inputs. I know a few people who have run out.
    b) Binding posts for all channels. This can be an issue if you spend

3. FeisalK

FeisalK Screenwriter

Shane's pretty much covered it. Just some of my thoughts here.. (since i'm looking at receivers myself)

If at all you are going to get outboard power amplification sometime in the future, then pre-outs are a requirement. Entry level receivers don't usually have them (exception: Marantz SR4400, AFAIK).

If you have a few video capable devices (Cable/Sat, DVD player, VCR, PS2/XBOX, DVD recorder etc) and not enough inputs on your TV, then you'll need video switching. Generally, HD devices are recommended direct to TV, and then you might need component video switching for the DVD player.

If you have a lot of HDCDs and don't have a compatible CD player you might want to get HDCD decoding on the receiver.

4. John S

John S Producer

Features I would look for...
    6.1 minimum
    6.1 / 7.1 surround mode procesing, a good suite of them.
    Component Video Switching of 50mhz bandwidth or higher.
    6 or more "High Current Descreet Amps" of equal power.
    High End Sound and clarity.
    DPLII, DPLIIx

Good luck!!