What should I get with a $3000 speaker budget?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Dan Brodin, Dec 31, 2001.

1. Dan Brodin

Dan Brodin Stunt Coordinator

I was thinking of a Paradigm Reference setup:

Studio 60s

Studio ADP

Studio CC

&

SVS Model 16-46PC

I was curious what else you guys would reccomend I check out in the $3000 price range.

-Dan

2. JoshS

JoshS Stunt Coordinator

Hey Dan,

They're a hole bunch of good manufactures out there, here are a couple of ideas:

Monitor audio silver series

B&W 600s2 or cdmnt series

PSB stratus series

RBH

Phase technology

These are just a few.

As far as subs go,I think I'd stay with your choice.

Find some manufactures, check out their websites,find a dealer that has them, then set up an audition. Let you're ears make the choice.

Good luck,

Josh

3. Randy Prue

Randy Prue Stunt Coordinator

The sound of speakers is very personal. I like bright, clear highs and even sound through all the frequencies, music or movie.

The set you list is excellent (to my ears). You might get more bang for your buck from Athenas... the sound of the Audition Series F2 is (to me) better than the Paradigm Studios, and they're cheaper. The bass is good, and since you've listed a great sub, that's not an issue.

Boston has some very "musical" speakers in that price range, too.

4. steve paul

steve paul Stunt Coordinator

My vote is with Monitor Audio. You can get a set of silver series speakers and they are GREAT. I own the gold ref series and will never change brands of speakers again. Love them. I also heard the silvers and they are wonderful. I used to have Paradign Studio 100's and my Monitor GR 20's blow them away.

5. Jason Watson

Jason Watson Stunt Coordinator

I was gonna suggest a look a Magnepan,but......Maggies, more than just about any other speaker, require very carefull consideration. Room size must work, placement must be right, spouse must be tolerant[​IMG], upstream electronics must be of quality, and to a much lesser degree, music taste must favor them. For many, this is just too much to ask.
    However, if all of the above fits right, they are pure majic for music and great for movies.

6. Dan Brodin

Dan Brodin Stunt Coordinator

Cool, I got some new speakers to audition now. I was very impressed when I listened to the Paradigm setup, but I will definately give some of alternative listed a listen.

-Dan