What should I get CRT vs. LCD

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by DanBusu, Dec 16, 2001.

1. DanBusu

DanBusu Extra

I have a choice of getting either the Samsung 407 LCD TV, or the Philips 9817 CRT TV. Both are widescreen tvs.
    Let's compare the two:
    Samsung is:
    40" LCD, EDTV (it has 480p and internal downconvert on 1080i), 2 sets of component inputs, it's very light (70 lb), thin - 13" deep. Requires an expensive lamp to be replaced every 6000 hrs (maybe that's like every 4 years for me?)
    Here's a link for the Samsung:
    http://www.netbored.com/slk407w.htm
    Philips is:
    30" CRT, HDTV (it has 480p, 1080i, and 720p I think), only 1 set of component inputs, it's heavier (120 lb), deeper - 23" (I'd prefer something thinner but it's not the most important thing right now).
    Here's a link for the Philips, with more details:
    http://www.maximumstore.com/phil3030digw.html
    ----------------
    Now the $1 million (actually ~ $2000 :) question is:
    Which one should I get? Opinions facts, information, etc., etc. are very welcome.
    Thank you in advance,
    /Dan

2. VicRuiz

VicRuiz Second Unit

3. DanBusu

DanBusu Extra

Oh, yes I should have started by stating that the only two choices I meet my requirements so far are those two - and they are dictated by my furniture :-(. Otherwise I know the Toshiba TV, I had a look at it before.
    Reasons:
    1. This is my home entertainment centre (it would be 1000x times cooler with a nice large TV inside instead of a 20" which it has right now :)
    http://www.structube.com/MeubleAudioOmegaZoomA.htm
    2. Anything larger than the 30" in direct view will be so deep that will require moving the centre forward leaving a substantial gap behind it - this would be unpleasing.
    Oh, also both TVs I can get between $1500 - $2000.
    Regards,
    /Dan

4. DanBusu

DanBusu Extra

Vic I think I went ahead of myself with the last reply, the Toshiba directview DEFINITELY meets my requirements.

Any ideas on how it is vs. the Philips 30"?

Thanks,

/Dan

5. VicRuiz

VicRuiz Second Unit

6. DanBusu

DanBusu Extra

Bump to the top :)

I've read the reviews on the two units, both get the same score, for slightly different technology:

1) has anybody seen CRT and LCD side by side? which seems better?

2) would a 1080i downconverted to 480p look close to the original image or how? I understand that's what the Samsung is doing, right?

Thanks,

/Dan

7. Bob Whitefield

Bob Whitefield Auditioning

I'd strongly advise against the Samsung LCD set. You'll get far better resolution with a direct view set, and without the motion artifacts, narrow viewing angle, and lower contrast of LCDs.

LCD technology just isn't there yet, and that's a lot of money for a set that will never do justice to an HDTV signal. You'll be kicking yourself in a year or so when much better DLP sets are selling for $1500.

Go for the 34HF81 if it'll fit. It's the best bang for the buck in a direct-view set, and 30" sets are just too small.

Bob

8. DanBusu

DanBusu Extra

Great thanks guys, I've decided. Either the Toshiba 34HF81 (first choice) or the Panasonic CT-34WX50 will be the ones.

Thanks for the advice AGAINST EDTV and LCD.

/Dan