What's new

What should I get CRT vs. LCD (1 Viewer)

DanBusu

Grip
I have a choice of getting either the Samsung 407 LCD TV, or the Philips 9817 CRT TV. Both are widescreen tvs.
Let's compare the two:
Samsung is:
40" LCD, EDTV (it has 480p and internal downconvert on 1080i), 2 sets of component inputs, it's very light (70 lb), thin - 13" deep. Requires an expensive lamp to be replaced every 6000 hrs (maybe that's like every 4 years for me?)
Here's a link for the Samsung:
http://www.netbored.com/slk407w.htm
Philips is:
30" CRT, HDTV (it has 480p, 1080i, and 720p I think), only 1 set of component inputs, it's heavier (120 lb), deeper - 23" (I'd prefer something thinner but it's not the most important thing right now).
Here's a link for the Philips, with more details:
http://www.maximumstore.com/phil3030digw.html
----------------
Now the $1 million (actually ~ $2000 :) question is:
Which one should I get? Opinions facts, information, etc., etc. are very welcome.
Thank you in advance,
/Dan

DanBusu

Grip
Oh, yes I should have started by stating that the only two choices I meet my requirements so far are those two - and they are dictated by my furniture :-(. Otherwise I know the Toshiba TV, I had a look at it before.
Reasons:
1. This is my home entertainment centre (it would be 1000x times cooler with a nice large TV inside instead of a 20" which it has right now :)
http://www.structube.com/MeubleAudioOmegaZoomA.htm
2. Anything larger than the 30" in direct view will be so deep that will require moving the centre forward leaving a substantial gap behind it - this would be unpleasing.
Oh, also both TVs I can get between $1500 - $2000.
Regards,
/Dan

DanBusu

Grip
Vic I think I went ahead of myself with the last reply, the Toshiba directview DEFINITELY meets my requirements.

Any ideas on how it is vs. the Philips 30"?

Thanks,

/Dan

DanBusu

Grip
Bump to the top :)

I've read the reviews on the two units, both get the same score, for slightly different technology:

1) has anybody seen CRT and LCD side by side? which seems better?

2) would a 1080i downconverted to 480p look close to the original image or how? I understand that's what the Samsung is doing, right?

Thanks,

/Dan

Bob Whitefield

Auditioning
I'd strongly advise against the Samsung LCD set. You'll get far better resolution with a direct view set, and without the motion artifacts, narrow viewing angle, and lower contrast of LCDs.

LCD technology just isn't there yet, and that's a lot of money for a set that will never do justice to an HDTV signal. You'll be kicking yourself in a year or so when much better DLP sets are selling for $1500.

Go for the 34HF81 if it'll fit. It's the best bang for the buck in a direct-view set, and 30" sets are just too small.

Bob

DanBusu

Grip
Great thanks guys, I've decided. Either the Toshiba 34HF81 (first choice) or the Panasonic CT-34WX50 will be the ones.

Thanks for the advice AGAINST EDTV and LCD.

/Dan

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks