What should I expect to pay and how much of a difference is there in studio 20's vs

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Rich Wenzel, Jan 13, 2003.

1. Rich Wenzel

Rich Wenzel Supporting Actor

studio 40's?

Im trying to decide on pair of small speakers that could later make nice rears...

looking at some B&W, Bostons, Mirage, Energy's etc in taht price range, im going to listen to some studios this week, and i just wanted to hear other opinions and get a better idea of how much to pay.

Thanks,
    Rich

2. James Bergeron

James Bergeron Supporting Actor

Price difference between 20's and 40's? Or sound difference? Price is about $200 I think, sound, The 20's have less bass but sound basically the same, not as good mid-range as well. But good. The 40's make nice surrounds, if not overkill.

But the 40's are FAR from small 40lbs and 2 feet tall!

3. Rich Wenzel

James, thanks for the price difference, do you know the absolute numbers? If I had to guess, does $600 and $800 sound about right then?

Also, I am interested in the sound differences. I'll get to hear them, but the dealer i am going to has a poor listening room in my mind.

I know that the 40's are kind of tall and heavy for bookshelves, but they can still be used that way.

Thanks again,
    Rich

4. wayne p

wayne p Stunt Coordinator

Rich,
    What are you running for your front channels? You would likely get your best timber match if you stay with the same brand and series as the fronts. This holds true unless replacing your rears as part of an upgrade plan.

I have just added a set of 20's for my rear speakers, matched with 100's and Studio CC. I replaced some older speakers I had in the rear with these new 20's a couple of months back and now I realize what I have missed over the last two years. The sound is excellent, particularly with DVD-A.

The 20's have added a clean natural sound to the rear channel that I suspected I had been lacking but the improvement exceeded my expectations. The high quality of the sound remains the same as it moves from front to back or side to side due to the matched speakers. The 20's are good value.

Wayne

5. James Bergeron

I think the 20's are MSRP $1000 and 40's $1200 But this is Canadian not sure about the US price. Might be worth a trip up to Canada for you, since your only in NY.

The 40's can work great on bookshelves, just make them strong. Check out my site, I have 40's are rears (on their side) and 40's in the front as well on shelves.

6. Adarsh Daswani

The Stereo Trading Outlet usually has used Studio/40 v2's in black laminate for $659/pair. I bought my 20's from them (to match my 60's up front) and I was hard-pressed to tell they were used. They probably arrived in better condition than my then-brand-new 60's did.

If you're interested, check Audiogon or TSTO's web site.

-A.

7. ernie.bin

ernie.bin Stunt Coordinator

msrp on 20s is $800cad, and $1100 on the studio40s.

I've been offered $650 on the 20s and $950 on the 40s which just isn't good enough. I'm going to have to haggle some more seeing how somebody in quebec got his 40s for $600cad.

8. ErichH

ErichH Screenwriter

You might check the famous auction place for a good deal on some 40s.
    Just a thought.
    E

9. James Bergeron

You would be hard pressed to get them new for less than $800 CAD. I paid $869 for each for 2 pairs of 40's and a CC centre. The CC was thrown in for $1, so if it's $500 I paid around $620 for each pair as well, but this was an easy sale. I basically walked in, told the manager I liked the 40's wanted 4 and the centre and was willing to pay $2K if not I was going to get some B&W 602's for the same price. I knew him semi personally as I worked with his Cousin.

At another store I was quoted $3000 for the same deal. You should be able to get them for $850 or so. But it all depends,the guy has to make some profit. Sometimes some dealers pay less because they have higher volume etc.

10. Rich Wenzel

to answer all questions,

Going to Canada unfortunately is not an option for me right now.

This will be for a new system. This is going to be my girlfriends system for her dorm room, and she will be getting an apartment in a 6 months. I want these speakers to be easily used somewhere else, i.e. a bedroom, office etc, in the event that they never make it to a 5.1 setup.

The associated equipment will be:

Marantz 4000OSE CD carousel (donated by me)
    H&K 520 (just purchased, she listens to a lot of classical music with HDCD, and I wanted something that would play that.)

She will not allow me to buy used for her stuff, even after I explained the benefits.

Thanks for your replies guys.

Rich