What's new

What should I do with my old sa-wm40 (1 Viewer)

James Grasso

Agent
Some of the circuitry in the amplifier is extremely broken (don't ask), and I don't want to just toss this thing out with a perfectly good 12" driver, so I'm looking for some opinions on what I should do with the enclosure and the driver. I'd love to be able to run a 2 sub setup in my 9'x15' room ;)

James Grasso

Agent
Thought about doing that with the PE 120W amp, but I've never done a DIY project before with this stuff, how will she go onto the back of my enclosure exactly. Looks like I'd have to cut into the box and make a big rectangular hole . . .

Geoff L

Screenwriter
Real Name
Geoff
If your consider going with a different amp the first thing you need to do is remove the old one and see what your dealing with. Meaning the size hole that is their after the amp is removed.

Then you can tell if (any of) the after market amps (cut out size) will be able to fit proerly on the back. You may naturaly have to do some cutting to make the existing hole wider, taller, or both. At the same time the existing hole may be (to wide or tall) already to acommadate any new amp.

More than likely the Sony-40 amp has some boosting built in around 30hz or so. This is just a guess on my part.

You will have to do the above before you can tell if any amp would fit with cutting or not. Most all plate amps out their list the cut out size which you will need to tell if it will possibly fit with or with out cutting.

You might also contact Sony for warranty work, or if out of warranty see what a replacment amp might cost.

Lastly you could pull the amp a seal the amp hole up, then drive it with another receiver if you have one laying around. Of course you need to run the + & - wire from the driver outside the box, or to a terminal cup and mount that in the back.. Just another idea but probley the most difficult if your not a DIY'er.

Regards
Geoff

Ed T

Auditioning
I also have a question along the same lines as James. Is it ok to use the 120W parts express amp which has bass boost in a box that is vented (I believe the sony sub is)? I saw where they say that the 250W amp with bass boost is not recommended for vented boxes.

Geoff L

Screenwriter
Real Name
Geoff
As far as boost in any amp with a ported or PR'ed DIY design, yes generaly they "do not" want any boost. But this is because of their design. It's built to be flat and the boosting will muck up it's sound and waste headroom.

Boost can be used in a ported sub if the design of the sub is for the need of some boosting.

With the Sony-40 it's just a guessing game as to if their is boosting in the amp or not. Given the cabinet size it would lead me to belive there is some boost added. This is just speculation on my part.

The PE-250 ships with no boost now or they will add boost to where you want it and how much before it ships.
I would not recommed the 250 for the Sony, your asking for trouble,with boost or not.
I'd stay in the wattage range of Sonys original amp.

When not knowing "for sure" what the Sony-40 amp has, (boost how much and where, or no boosting), is stabbing in the dark. Someone might try calling Sony Tech support to see if the can squeze that info out of them.
It's just a crap shoot till you know for sure.

I'll still bet it dose have some boost.
Again just speculation....

Regards
Geoff

Ed T

Auditioning
I'm not meaning to move away from the discussion about the sony sub, but I've got the DLS 10" sub without the amp and was thinking of putting the 120W amp from parts express in. Any thoughts on this?
thanks

Geoff L

Screenwriter
Real Name
Geoff
Ed

Email or call Tech support, try to talk with Eric at Parts Express and ask him your DLS questions. He would have the information on what amp upgrade or change over might be best for the DLS.

I only would be guessing and thats not a good approach. ;)

If yours is blown/broke and bought recently, they PE, have been replacing them free of charge due to the last 2 bad batches of DLS sub amps. (Dec Jan Feb,-first part of Mar) The DLS is no longer available.

There are a number of threads dealing with this.

Geoff

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks