What should I do for sub???

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Nathan J, Mar 24, 2002.

1. Nathan J

Nathan J Stunt Coordinator

I am trying to get the best subwoofer possible for under $300 dollars, If I have to make my own box for it I will. I was thinking of going with a Tempest from Adireaudio.com, but then I posted this same question on another site and a guy said that I should go with the 15" Dahlquist-- I looked them up on Ubid and they go for like $199-$250, He said he really liked his and it shook his whole house...But i know nothing about these subs. So,would I be stupid to get a Dahlquist?? Someone please help me, I am lost [​IMG]

2. Nathan J

Man...does'nt anyone here respond to posts??? I need some help here....

3. ColinM

ColinM Cinematographer

Dude...

Yes, people respond. Maybe nobody with a Dahlquist has read this thread yet.

If you LIKE to make boxes, the 250 watt plate amp from Parts Express plus any good 15'er will likely smoke any mass market $200 sub.

Adire and Hsu are really good for the money, aparrently. Close to $300.

Someone will chime in...

- C

4. Nathan J

Thanks for the input...the only reason I was thinking of NOT making my own box is because it wont be a furniture grade finish...but I suppose i could sand it down and lacquer it [​IMG]
    So has anyone ever heard of these Dahlquist subs ??? Are they any good?

5. Dustin B

Dustin B Producer

My last summer job was a lowend electronics store in a small town (did mostly cellphone and satellite stuff). The place had some old Dahlquist stock and it included a 15" Dahlquist. Compared to an Adire Tempest it's nothing special, not even remotely close to the same league. A Dayton 12" DVC could take it with ease. Nothing special.
    Is $300 just your budget for parts, or does that also have to include the enclosure. A Tempest and a 250W plate amp will leave you about $30 for an enclosure. That's pushing it just a little bit [​IMG]
    If you want help with DIY sub design post again in the DIY/Advanced area. Nothing commercial, period, will be able to come even close to touching what you can build yourself for $300.

6. Nathan J

Ok,well it looks like going with a Tempest is my best bet....But what if I decide to save for awhile and come up with a little more money...then what? I hear everyone talking about SVS subs, would an SVS sub kill a Tempest???? Like I said I would not have any problem building a box and if I did I have a friend that could help me. Obviously (I would say) That a SVS Ultra would kill the Tempest but I may be wrong here...Please let me know what you think. Would I be alot better off going with the SVS? Do they sound that much better? Is there a huge difference in the amount of output??? I just want to make sure I will be happy with it before I go and spend all the money.

Thanks for the help

7. Greg Br

Greg Br Second Unit

If you have the abilty to build the sub then I would thing dollar for dollar you could beat a svs sub, unforunatley I know nothing about making a sub and am not great at building them myself anyway so the SVS was a great option.

Although since its so cheap and my dad has most of the tools I was think of building one myself just for fun.

8. Nathan J

quote: If you have the abilty to build the sub then I would thing dollar for dollar you could beat a svs sub, unforunatley I know nothing about making a sub and am not great at building them myself anyway so the SVS was a great option.
    Although since its so cheap and my dad has most of the tools I was think of building one myself just for fun.....
    ------
    I hope you didnt think I could actually build the SUB...I would use a Tempest, I would just build the box...(you probably already knew this [​IMG] )
    So you think that a Tempest would be a better sub than the SVS??? ....Say with maybe a 500 watt amp?

9. Dustin B

Dustin B Producer

You should go do some reading the DIY/Advanced section.

A properly designed Tempest will match or best an SVS CS-Ultra and do so requiring less power and at a 1/3rd the price. In a true EBS allignment it will sound just as good if not better and 250W will be lots of power (remember that the difference between 250W and 500W is only 3dB when applied to the same speaker).

Subs can't break Hoffman's Iron law. Out of extension (how low it will go), efficiency (how much power is required to get the driver to full excursion) and enclosure size (how big the thing is) you can only control 2, the 3rd will be dictated to you. The Tempest in an EBS allignment picks excursion and effiency and as a result needs to be huge. An SVS has an internal volume around 100L, and EBS Tempest will be 300L+.

If you want to spend more you could get a BluePrint 1803 (its somewhere between $270-$300), then get a QSC RMX 1450 ($399) and a Behringer FeedBack Destroyer Pro ($140). Put the 1803 in a 300L enclosure tuned to 18-20hz with an 8" port and use the BFD to tame the 70hz hump and any room modes and you'll have one scarry sub (ie able to move almost as much air as three SVS CS-Ultras).

10. Nathan J

Ummm,not to sound stupid here but what is Ebs alignment????

I was also thinking of going with Blueprint but I hadnt thought of the 18". As for a big box...I don't see a problem with it...What does 300l translate into cu.ft???

(I am at work--I dont have time to look it up.)

11. Nathan J

P.S. I want to thank everyone for being so helpful...This was my first post here and you guys seem pretty cool.[​IMG]

12. Nathan J

Alright, here is another question....

A friend of mine is selling 2 Shivas for $100 EACH.

Would I be wise to pick up one or both of those??? Or is it possible that the bass I am looking for is only possible with a Big AZZ sub?

13. Dave Schofield

Dave Schofield Second Unit

300L = 10.59 cubic ft

14. Dustin B

Dustin B Producer

Bass is displacement (more or less). A Shiva is 1.55L, two would be 3.1L. A Tempest is 2.55L. Guestimates from the DIY advanced section place the SVS Ultra at about 2.1L-2.3L and the ISD (improved standard driver) SVS at 1.3L-1.5L.

EBS stands for extended bass shelf. There are a bunch of other names for other allignments. SBB4 which I think stands for super boom box 4th order. The two I've mentioned are ported allignments.

15. Nathan J

So all you meant is that it is best to use a ported enclosure correct?? I was planning on building a 10 cu ft. box tuned to 17-18 hz....I talked to Dan Wiggins from Adire about this and that is what he recommended to me.

Do you guys use any box modeling programs??? Currently I have WinISD.

16. Dustin B

Dustin B Producer

If you are gonna use an Adire driver get their free version of LspCAD. Much much more accurate than WinISD.
    http://www.adireaudio.com/misc/software.htm
    For HT use ported enclosures are almost always best. There are some cases where they aren't. But with a Tempest I wouldn't go any other way.

17. Nathan J

Cool, I will have to download that.

18. Martice

Martice Screenwriter

And if you can't build a Tempest sub, the next best thing is to talk to Kyle at Acoustic-Visions. Short of building it yourself you will have a hard time finding a Tempest based sub completed for a lot less money than an SVS Ultra.
    When you go there take a look at my Octo Sub . It was built by Acoustic Visions and the best thing is that you can tell them what size, shape and design you want and they will work with you to get you the bass you want in the style you want.
    I bought 2 from them and couldn't be happier.

19. Nathan J

any more ideas????

20. Martice

Martice Screenwriter

Nathan if you're really contemplating building a sub you might want to hed on over to the DIY section for more answers to your questions.

Good Luck