What should I do? Buy now or save?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Allen Longcor, Feb 20, 2002.

  1. Allen Longcor

    Allen Longcor Supporting Actor

    Joined:
    Oct 21, 2001
    Messages:
    549
    Likes Received:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    110
    I'm thinking of purchasing some Polk RT55i bookshelf speakers. These would run me around $400 plus shipping. They would replace some old Eosone RSF400 speakers. My system as it is now consists of:

    Onkyo 595

    Polk CS400i Center

    Energy eXL:15 surrounds

    Should I upgrade the mains now to get a little bit more enjoyment out of my current system, or just start saving up for my future upgrade. This upgrade will not take place for at least a year. When it does happen I will be looking at the Polk LSi line and Swan Divas. I'll cross that bridge when I come to it. So should I shell out some money now for a quick improvement or wait for the long hall? I can't decide because I'd like some better sound now, but I want to save up for those future upgrades.
     
  2. Bob-N

    Bob-N Supporting Actor

    Joined:
    Jul 26, 2001
    Messages:
    915
    Likes Received:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    0
    Wait for the long haul IMHO. No use in getting the middle-road speakers. Go with what you want and save the money. Then you can move onto upgrading your other pieces w/o worrying about your speakers.
    YMMV. [​IMG]
     
  3. Bob_A

    Bob_A Supporting Actor

    Joined:
    Jul 30, 2000
    Messages:
    876
    Likes Received:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    0
    I agree...don't compromise on your main channel speakers, even if it means waiting a bit. Also, make sure that your front three speakers will be timbre-matched. Good luck!
     
  4. Allen Longcor

    Allen Longcor Supporting Actor

    Joined:
    Oct 21, 2001
    Messages:
    549
    Likes Received:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    110
    Yah the problem is that the front three are not timbre matched right now. It's going to be hard to hold off when I know it will be a year or more before I even think of replacing the speakers and receiver. If they slash prices anymore on the 55i's I don't know if I could hold myself back. [​IMG]
     
  5. Charles M

    Charles M Stunt Coordinator

    Joined:
    Jun 7, 2001
    Messages:
    217
    Likes Received:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    0
    If this helps,

    You already have the cs400i and you want to get the rt55i.

    You said it will cost you $440 plus shippping for the rt55i. Try going to Fry's or Circuit City because, now they are closing out the rt line right now. Beleive me you're not going to pay over $400 for a pair. I know Fry's had them for $299 a pair just last week! Keep the cs400i, get the rt55i, and the buy a pair of rt25i or rt15i. Their all on closeout, so it shouldn't be that much. This could hold you off without spending a lot of money right now and you won't lose out. Think about it.

    Charles
     

Share This Page